OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon RX30 Reflex II 1x42mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon RX30 Reflex II 1x42mm
    Posted: July/14/2009 at 00:14
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX30
  • 6.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Free Lens Pen w/ Purchase
$399.95 
Add Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight to Cart 
I finally got a good look at one of these that one of my friends who runs our military range has on his personal rifle.  This is a vast improvement over the previous generation of  Reflex sight.  I was a bit concerned by the 6.5 MOA dot as I tend to like a 2moa aimpoint or a triangle or chevron in an ACOG.  The dot on these appears to be about the same width as the front sight pin on the 16in barrel M4 style AR-15s.  This is a very nice sight and is quite reasonably priced considering it is both fiber optic and tritium powered.  It does have a highly reflective front surface that would need a kill flash if one is available before it would be a useful combat optic but for competition on the range or for close range hunting this is very nice.  The last generation of Reflex did not seem very bright to me this seems to be plenty bright enough to use  and a fine choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 09:40
I used the older generation of these and had a few instances where, when shooting from a dark area into sunlight, the reticle washed out.  My guess is that they have improved this, but it is still a concern, especially for a CQB weapon (that might have a flashlight.)

I really like the concept and "ease of use", I hope they have figured out a way to make the reticle more pronounced in bright conditions.

Thanx for the info, might have to give it another try.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 13:33
I have one on my Beretta Storm and like it very much.  I never played with the old Reflex so I can't directly compare but the brightness is supposed to be much better.  It is still possible to wash out the reticle, but you have to try pretty hard.  For example, indoors in complete darkness very close to a white wall with a powerful weapons light, it can happen.  When I switched to this from an Eotech I also changed from a 200-something lumen (which is ridiculous for indoors anyway) back to the standard 60 lumen light and feel pretty good with that.

In all other conditions I've found the brightness of the dot to be very well adjusted--from super bright in sunlight to just the right level in dim conditions.  This is one of the things I like best about it--I hated always having to mess with the Eotech to get it to the right brightness, which changes a lot whenever you're going anywhere (not to mention having to turn it on every time you use it).

There is a blue tint to the glass--it won't give you that "looking through an empty window" feeling the Eotech will--which might bother some people but it shouldn't really affect performance.  It does give you that "looking through a big window FOV" that many like with the Eotech. 

The reticle is sharp and well defined, not pixilated at all.  Many will feel the dot size is a bit big for an AR-15 that one wants to use much over 200 yds, but for the 0-125 yds this carbine is capable of it does very well.  Fist sized groups at 100 yds are easy, which is pretty good for 40S&W ammo.

I do think a well adjusted Eotech might be a bit faster and I did like the ring for help in holding on close range targets but I like the RX30's mount it, forget it, pick it up and start shooting simplicity better for this carbine.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 18:17

Thank all of you for posting your comments. I've wondered about these but haven't run across one yet. Looks pretty good.

I wonder if a Kill-Flash would actually help to prevent reticle-wash-out. Any ideas?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 19:42
I find that a kill flash reduces the brightness and possibly the sharpness of most optics a little but there are times when it is a must so If you dont need one dont run one and if you do need one there is no second choice.   I just dont know if one is made that fits this yet. I never liked the look of the older model it was like looking through two sets of sunglasses this is much better in that regard and I suspect the design of how the fiber optic is placed also aids in brightening up the dot.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic