OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron Quality Control Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron Quality Control Issue
    Posted: July/13/2009 at 22:26
A popular topic "A test of two scopes" revealed that the author had many Sightrons that were defective.Has Sightron corrected the problem or was this an isolated incident with the author and SWFA. 
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 22:31
If there so many defective scopes why isn't there any refurb Sightrons for sale.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 13:34
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

A popular topic "A test of two scopes" revealed that the author had many Sightrons that were defective.Has Sightron corrected the problem or was this an isolated incident with the author and SWFA. 

The author had a total of TWO defective Sightrons.  Whether that qualifies as many is up to interpretation.

Here is the link to the original thread, just in case:

ILya
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 13:51
I've sworn off Sightron, too. They'll need to do better than that to earn my business.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:08
Originally posted by seattlesetters seattlesetters wrote:

I've sworn off Sightron, too. They'll need to do better than that to earn my business.

Just out of curiosity:  what was your personal experience with Sightron products?

ILya

Edited by koshkin - July/14/2009 at 14:15
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:17
  I've got an SI and an SII.  So far Thunbs Up.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:19
ILya, does anybody know who makes these scopes for Sightron.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Just out of curiosity:  what was your personal experience with Sightron products?

ILya
Absolutely none, ILya, outside of looking through a few down at the Sprotsman's Warehouse.

Howver, I can read, and folks having problems with them makes me think i should go in the direction of scopes folks don't have problems with.

It's kinda like checking a would-be employee's job references.  If four of the folks say the guy is great, but two more say they'd be careful about hiring him, unfortunately the two negative responses are going to get weighed more heavily than the greater number of positive responses. I'm just not going to risk hiring the guy....like I'm not going to risk my hard-earned dollars on a scope with of questionable quality, even if those questions are few.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:35

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya
Absolutely none, ILya, outside of looking through a few down at the Sprotsman's Warehouse.

Howver, I can read, and folks having problems with them makes me think i should go in the direction of scopes folks don't have problems with.

It's kinda like checking a would-be employee's job references.  If four of the folks say the guy is great, but two more say they'd be careful about hiring him, unfortunately the two negative responses are going to get weighed more heavily than the greater number of positive responses. I'm just not going to risk hiring the guy....like I'm not going to risk my hard-earned dollars on a scope with of questionable quality, even if those questions are few.

Extending that logic further, I am not sure there any scopes you can use at all.

I have had problems at one time or another with almost every scope maker.  If I look at enough samples, I am pretty sure I will find a few duds from EVERY scope line ever made.

How many problem Sightrons have you seen?

ILya
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:38

Made in Japan...the salesman at the Gander Mountain had one S1 scope in 3-9x40,he said that they were old stock and Sightron is no longer being carried. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:42
In a marketing-driven society - especially one where Leupold is the "gold standard" (due purely to marketing), I wouldn't worry what Gander else or does.

Hell, I just got a great deal on a Zeagle regulator because Gander is getting out of the SCUBA business.

Never assume that a singular data point represents anything other than that singular data point.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:44
I am more a fan of Sightron than of Gander Mountain...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:47
I was aware that they are made in Japan, just not sure which optical house was making them.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 14:49
The salesman was steering me to a Leupold VX-1,to be honest I thought the Sightron S1 was clearer and brighter and much cheaper.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 15:13
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I was aware that they are made in Japan, just not sure which optical house was making them.

Sightron never quite came out and said directly who makes them, so I do not have any truly substantiated info.

I think John Barseness knows who makes Sightrons, so perhaps he will chime in.

ILya

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 17:48
Actually, I don't know for certain who makes Sightron, though one person who should know has told me they're made by a certain Japanese maker, though not the Japanese manufacturer with the top reputation. (Plus, to be honest, I have been misinformed more than once by optics makers about the origin of their products. So I refuse to speculate on such things unless I really do know.)

As I stated in my review, I do have a couple of Sightron scopes (discontinued models) that I have had great luck with and use all the the time. But I haven't had such great luck with all Sightrons. I tried the scope in the test because I'd heard such great things about it, and obviously was less than impressed.

ILya is absolutely correct that there can be clunkers in any line of scopes. I have encountered defective scopes, right out of the box, among all the common brands, and have broken many of the same in normal use. But my experience with the Sightron in the test definitely did not convince me to buy one, as had been my original intention.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 20:08
Just as an aside, the Sightrons look EXACTLY like the South African Lynx scopes.  Maybe we can sneak in a back door for information.   
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 21:22

That's been a common occurence over the past, oh, 50+ years with a wlot of optics, ever since Dave Bushnell took a K-model Weaver to Japan and asked, "Can you make one like this?"

About 10-12 years ago at least 4 different "brands" of binoculars offered by various "American" firms (all made in Japan) were so similar that about the only way you could tell the difference was the logo. The same thing is happening now with some of the hot new Chinese glass.

There's also a lot more swapping/"sub-contracting" of parts between all world-wide optics companies than most optics snobs would like to believe.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 22:52
i would like to know where all of these sightrons that are junk at. i think i may have heard one bad thing about sightron, that was the adjustments didnt work right, but that was on a discontinioned scope if memory serves right. i have heard literally thousands of horror stories about leupold and lived many with leupold. but since sightron is so bad i replaced all my leupolds with sightrons. i would probably never buy another leupold again. many more bad leupys than sightrons buy any means in my own opinion.
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2009 at 07:43
Koshkin's points are very well put.  I own only one Sightron SII and bought it when they were not in vogue.  It has never given me a single problem and except for have to have extended bases for mounting on a long action caliber, it is a great scope.  All manufactures of any product will produce a dud and when people who use these products on a very frequent basis congregate on a site like this to discuss these products, well of course you are going to see most of those with the problems.  Sort of like rifledude's Kimber in a 260.  Does that mean all of Kimber's rifles shoot that way?  Off course not.  I talked with the Sightron people a while back and received an e-mail, if I remember correctly and I believe they own their own plant in Japan.  I could be wrong, but I am almost sure this is what I was told.  A phone call to their headquarters in NC would easily clear up this issue.  They were very easy to deal with and answered all my questions without any run around or feeling like they wanted to get rid of me.  Other scope manufactures like Hawke, Mueller and Konus have all treated me the same way when I call to chat.  Mueller was especially helpful in directing me away from a particular model in favor of another, not necessarily more expensive.  As far a more bad Leupys than Sightrons, could be just because they make more scopes, but I cannot say that there is a higher percentage of failures in Leupys than Sightrons.  Only a survey with sufficient numbers to statistically power accuracy, would answer questions like this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic