OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bud's new 223 Sav12BTV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bud's new 223 Sav12BTV
    Posted: July/13/2009 at 07:34
Well, Saturday I finally made it to the range to site in my new 223 with the ATN scope Kickboxer gave me.  I only had Armsocr 5.56 Cal M193 Ball ammo and the new rings have lateral adjustments and both front and back as well as 20 MOA offset bushings.  Rings are so tall I couldn't use my bushnell boresighter.

After much playing around I finally got her adjusted to the Milsurp ammo.  The last group was only 1.5MOA when I ran out of Ammo.

When I got home my backordered reloading Dies were there waiting for me!  Yippee
I reloaded Sat. night usng 55Gr Sierra  HPBT and 26.0Gr Varget.

Back to the Range Sunday, 83ºF and breezy, a beautiful day.

I set up and shot my first group including my CCB.  I couldn't believe my eyes!

I must have stared at the target for 5 minutes in disbelief!

I made one elevation adjustment and tried again!

I started to get giddy and was grinning from ear to ear!

I played around a little then started a game.  On 5 target print outs I would shoot at each target till I hit black.  Object 5 bullets per page all in black.  I was actully giggling with glea, so much so that I atracted an audiance.

I was so stoked that I was having trouble concentrating as things progressed so I got steadily worst, but i didn't care!  This gun will put the messenger right where you point it!  It is everything I had hoped for!!! I think I could have done even better if the Recticle Dot was smaller.  It was covering the entire black zone at about 2 MOA.  And at $700 is da#n hard to beat! 

I am putting my Browning A-Bolt 308 in for trigger work.  Polish the Sear and install a Timney 2.5-3.5Lb Spring.

I am definitely in love with Savages!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 08:01
Good shooting, Bud.  Looks like a "keeper". 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 10:29
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good shooting, Bud.  Looks like a "keeper". 

Definitely a Keeper!

I like the ATN, only wish the center dot was about half the present Diameter.  Thanks again for it!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 12:13
Keep shootin'... you'll get used to it.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 13:49
Howdy Gang!  This is the 3rd trip to the range with the new set-up 223 and ATN 6-18X65.

It was the busiest I have ever seen it at the range today!

Beautiful weather 76F with 5-15mph quartering Headwinds.

Had two loads this time.  55gr Sierra HPBT and Spitzers being pushed by 26.0 gr of Varget in Hornady brass with CCI Mag small rifle primers.
Started with the HPBTs
Warm-up including CCB.  It appears this barrel is completely stress relieved cause the CCB goes to the same POI as the rest.

I am getting used to the broken reticle in the ATN scope, still wish the dot was smaller.  I strongly feel I could easly pull in the groups if the POI wasn't occluded by the reticle dot.  After shooting several nice groups I decided to again try the one shot per target game.

All targets are 1" in Diameter.  Everything was fine until the zero jumped for some unknown reason

Re-zeroed and started shooting the Spitzers.
The flyers were all me not the rifle!  She is putting right where I point them.  Man I really like this rifle!

Remeber each target is 1" in diameter.  I find that this helps me to concentrate and stay serious.  It is quite challenging to only use 20 bullets and stay inside all the circles.

Edited by budperm - July/18/2009 at 15:30
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 14:09
Very nice, Bud.  Good target drill, too.

Bud, I can't remember ever having a "zero jump" and since all my notes got trashed, no way to confirm, but I am sure I would remember something like that.   However, the zero for Lori and for me was quite different.  My zero was 1.5MOA left and 2MOA high for her very consistently.  

Edited by Kickboxer - July/18/2009 at 14:27

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 14:50
One of the things I noticed today was that if I cheeked forward where I had a full field of view thru thte Ocular I shot high right.   If I sat back where it felt natural I had tunnel vision thru the scope reducing FOV about 50% but my groups and accuracy were much better!

Any idea whats with that?  I am thinking of looking for someone with training and a whole lot more experience than I, to coach me for a couple of hours.
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 15:02
Good shooting and thanks for sharing, Bud!
I'm getting ready to load some .223 rounds myself and have looked to Var"gay" as well. Gal  
Bullets are 69gr. SMK's.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Good shooting and thanks for sharing, Bud!
I'm getting ready to load some .223 rounds myself and have looked to Var"gay" as well. Gal  
Bullets are 69gr. SMK's.  
Thanks Mark!  I have 6-7 differnet bullets from 50 to 63gr to try.  She has a 1in9 twist so 68gr is probably the upper limit for her.  I will find out eventually.  Right now I have two other 55gr bullets to try out 1st.  I am extremely impressed with the stick,  I pushed 50 rounds thru her pretty quicky and the barrel got only a little warm.
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 15:25
My AR has a 1 in 7 twist and prefers the heavier pills.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 15:40
I would like to get an AR but the prices will have to come down some for me too!  3 other shooters at the range, all had ARs and were chasing brass everywhere!  My Savage is very consistant in ejecting and I put a 6x6" box next to her and almost every casing goes right in.  Thunbs Up

Also I shoot fast enough already!  If I had a semi-auto I would ALWAYS be out of ammo! Bucky
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 07:51
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

One of the things I noticed today was that if I cheeked forward where I had a full field of view thru thte Ocular I shot high right.   If I sat back where it felt natural I had tunnel vision thru the scope reducing FOV about 50% but my groups and accuracy were much better!

Any idea whats with that?  I am thinking of looking for someone with training and a whole lot more experience than I, to coach me for a couple of hours.
Bud, all my data on shooting with that scope is gone.  It was in the binder that got thrown away.  I have not used that rifle/scope much in the last couple of years.  If I remember correctly, the focus adjustment on that scope can help eliminate that "tunnel effect".  
Not being able to see you shoot, my first impression on looking at that last target is trigger control. 
Could be something else completely, but that would be my starting point to try to ensure I was doing everything right.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 13:55
Have not seen heard on this in a while... how goes it?

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 15:44
I, like you, have found it extremely hard to get to the range lately.  The weather has not been the least bit co-operative, son's graduation, Sinus and allergies to where I couldn't see to hit an elephant.  The one time I made it out the range it was closed for a 3D ARCHERY EVENT...ARGH!  planning on trying again this weekend!  1st clear weekend in last 4 weeks.
Gotta take care of my jungle of a yard 1st!   All the rain made it go nuts!  It is actually swampy right now...in August, crazy!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 19:46
Well gents, finally made it back out to the range today!  For the 1st time I took my camera along.  Here are a few pictures of my club.
  Outdoor Archery 1- to 80-yard targets, also lifesize targets

100yard      50 yard      and 35 yard shotgun patterning

Setup at 100 yards

Tool for today, My Savage 12BTV in .223 Loads 26gr Varget Hornady 55gr bullets & brass.  CCI 450 Mag Sm Rifle Primers

Please ignor the date stamp on the pictures, they were taken today.  It was pretty hot & muggy today and little wind was blowing.   Range temp was 86F and 87%RH MUGGY!  I was sweating pretty bad and it kept getting in my eyes.  Was shooting Hornady bullets this week.  Last time was shooting Sierras.  Small POI change noted between Sierra to Hornady change over as well as Hornady 55gr SpBT and 55gr A-Max w cannelure.  I was definitely the weak link in todays shooting results not the equipment!

As much as I like this scope I am still fighting the 1 MOA bullseye Dot of a modified 4A reticle.

Edited by budperm - August/23/2009 at 19:49
--Thomas Jefferson

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 23:29
Still good shoot Bud! The third and forth groups especially.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 03:28
Looking good, Bud.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 04:25
Thanks for sharing Bud. Very nice range and benches you have.
Those holes in the paper looks really good. Targets 3 and 4 are specially nice.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 08:40
Very nice range and good shooting.  
Bud, one thing you have to remember about that scope, it is a "hunting" scope, not a target scope.  I believe some of the opening in your groups is due to the dot.  I used to ensure the circle edges (I used the top of the circle) were touching exactly the same place on the target.  However, you are getting at least one "flyer" in every group, which generally tends toward shooter malfunction or rifle problem.  Does your "primary" flyer occur at the same point in every group... 1st, last, etc, or is it random?

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 18:29
Nice 600-yard groups ya got there, Bud!  Angel

Just kidding, just kidding!

Thanks for the range pics, your club resembles the one I go.
 I guess a lot of ranges tend to look similar when you think about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic