OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

fixed 4x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 01:18
  Pyro,if you think you still might want a 4X scope here are two more:

Also,Kickboxer's mentioned this one:

Edited by 300S&W - July/13/2009 at 07:50
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 05:46
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

How about you just ask someone who has one? For example, Rancid Coolaid has one on his 45-70.

ILya

EXACTLY.............. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 05:48
An old Weaver K4 will fit...............Bucky

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 06:22
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Pyro,if you think you still might want a 4X scope here are two more:

Also,Kickboxer's been plugging this one alot:

I am not particularly "plugging" the Pentax, but it has held up to the punishment of the .458 Lott (read Mr. Barsness article on scoping dangerous game rifles) and the .458 WinMag.  The glass is better than average and the BDC works well for me.  I like it, but would also like to try out a 4x IOR on the Lott someday.  The IOR glass IS better. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 06:25
ive been thinking, and maybe i should look at the 6x stuff too. ior makes a great looking 6x scope and its about 2" longer and has more moa of travel available to boot.  the 6x just worries me a little in close quarters.the one thing the the fx3 has over the ior in  the 6x class is about an inch of eye relief.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/13/2009 at 06:27
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 09:17
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

ive been thinking, and maybe i should look at the 6x stuff too. ior makes a great looking 6x scope and its about 2" longer and has more moa of travel available to boot.  the 6x just worries me a little in close quarters.the one thing the the fx3 has over the ior in  the 6x class is about an inch of eye relief.

Thats why I would get a Leupold as well.  I have been considering the IOR 4x for my 45-70, but will probably end up with the Leupold 4x for the extra eye relief.  It will be nice to have if you are shooting up hill or from some other funny position which seems to happen to me a lot in the areas I hunting in.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 09:29
I will get out the ruler on my 4X IOR and let you know.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 12:31
Pyro...........Do you want the great glass using the offseting rings, or do you want better than average glass without using offsetting rings. 

One way or the other, that will be your compromise.

If you wanna go fixed for your H&H that`s fine. Though as a suggestion, I`d stick with a 4X. 
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 13:22
I have used 4x Leupolds all over North America and in quite a bit of Africa and never felt the need for more brightness, and most of the time they were the older single-coated M8's. I even used one in Africa after the "great glass" Euro-variable on my .375 went belly-up early in the hunt. Oh, and none of the 4x Leupolds ever went bad, either, and I have lost count of the animals (elk, moose, bears, and plains game as small as springbok and and as large as eland) that I've killed with them.

You might be planning on shooting a leopard over bait, but even then the shot is rarely taken in real darkness, and the bait is normally set up to silhouette the cat against the sky. Plus the shot is typically at close range, where minor differences in brightness don't matter nearly as much as a really visible reticle. In the days before we needed a super-bright 4-14x to kill a whitetail at 100 yards a heck of a lot of baited leopards were killed with  2.5x Weavers with post reticles.

Have done some night-shooting of varmints in Africa with a spotlight a 4x and it worked just fine too. The extra eye relief is also comforting on a .375, especially when shooting from some odd field positions. Personally I would rather have the extra eye relief and standard mounts than a little brighter glass and extension mounts, which are never quite as solid as standard mounts.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 20:25
im certainly no fan of the extensions, hunting in northern minnesota provides me with short shots in dense forest, which is the main thing keeping me from buying a 6x. my old man still to this day has one of them good old m86x on his m70 30-06, and to be honest hunting in wyoming where we lived he reached for his 336c 30-30 9 times out of 10 when the elk were close by. he never took that rifle into the woods, it sat in the truck and thats it. after i bought my 300win i put a varixII-c 3x9 on it and he took it into the woods constantly. i wouldnt mind a 4x scope. i may even look at a couple of low power variables that have been suggested to me by rifledude and chris farris among some other ot members. thanks for all the info and ideas fellars i do appriciate it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 20:25
( We're gonna hafta get John Barsness fixed up with an old fogey picture like this one I found!!   4X scopes!!  Post reticles!! Weaver Scope stories!! Common Sense!!  We need to have a 'photo finding contest' for him!!!   Roll on Floor Laughing

[ it'll give us something to do on long summer nights!! ]    Smile

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 20:44
The main thing that would keep me from buying the 6x is the caliber. I have a .375 H&H that has seen two different 4x and two different low powered variables. I also have a 6x42 Leo and it is an excellent scope, for sure. But I believe in the old saying "the bigger the gun, the smaller the scope". A fixed has worked great for me. If was was to get rid of the variables I would go back to the 4X and not a 6x or 2.5x fixed.
I would get the 4x Leupold in a minute. But, the $299 price on the Conquest is pretty attractive.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 20:51
Just me, but I don't think I would go for 6x for that rifle.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 20:59

i need just a hair over 5" od for mounting a scope in my current setup.

Hunter, I measured the tube length of my 4X Conquest and it is approx. 5.7".
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 21:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

i need just a hair over 5" od for mounting a scope in my current setup.

Hunter, I measured the tube length of my 4X Conquest and it is approx. 5.7".

oh wow thats plenty, rancid pm'd me and he said  and i quote "according to my hello kitty ruler the 4x ior has 5 1/8" of usable tube. so i guess either of those scopes would work for me. question now is which one is better?
thanks rancid and rifledude for taking the time to measure those tubes for me!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 22:45
Well, the Conquest has better eye relief ( for a 375 ) and a little more ' wiggle room' for mounting. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 23:49
If we are too close and too dense of forrest for a 6x I'm thinking Aimpoint 2moa
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 06:21
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Well, the Conquest has better eye relief ( for a 375 ) and a little more ' wiggle room' for mounting. 

yeah im kinda drifting that way, i have a feeling its probably a better scope than the fxII is as well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 07:04
  Just thought I'd post that Kickboxer PM'd to let me know that the Pentax 4X has 6 3/8" mounting area.  Measured my old 4X Weaver,7 3/8".
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2009 at 12:57
 I'm just expressing  my 2cents,I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6 x42 ,German 4A mounted on a T/C pro hunter Katana 20" in .460 S&W.The glass is not as good as my Zeiss scopes but is close to my Elite 6500.I've broken 2 scopes on this rifle but never had a problem when using a Burris Short Magnum 4x.I moved on as the glass was only OK [but I only paid $250]
  I'ts a shame the industry is slowly doing away with good inexpensive fixed scopes
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic