OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hawke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawke
    Posted: July/10/2009 at 21:04
 How does the glass in the Hawke Nite-Eye compare? Elite 3200 / 4200 / neither? I don't know anything about these scopes. Also, I think I read somewhere about installing a lower voltage battery for a dimmer illuminated reticle. Just wondering how that worked out.

Thanks
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 22:17
I own both multiple Hawke and Bushnell 3200 and 4200 scopes.  The Hawke scopes range from the lower to middle end.  My personal opinion is that the optical quality is that the mid range Hawke scopes are as good as the Bushnell 4200 series, easily.  As far as installing a lower voltage battery, intuitively, it seems that would be the same as a standard battery degrading in power, ie, voltage and amperage current.  But, you should check with Hawke or any other scope maker that uses batteries.  In the Endurance Hawke scope that I own, the reticle is not bright enough that I would want to dim the reticle any further.  Overall, Hawke is a great scope maker.  For more info, contact Brad Bonner, at the NA distribution center, the phone number of which can be found at www.hawkeoptics.com, and look for the NA distribution center.  Tell him a guy that hooked him up with Springhill Outfitters referred you.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 02:48

I have two Endurance series scopes in use now on heavy kicking 9.3x62s and they are both holding up well. In my opinion the optic quality is just below a Bushnell 4200 and about in line with a Leupold VX III.

I confirmed thur Hawke tech service that it is indeed OK to use a 1.5volt battery for a dimmer dot which I feel it needs for shooting at last possible light.

They also sent me scopes from the Nite-Eye series and they are definately a lot lower end than the Endurance line. I've looked them all over and I think the Endurance line is the best value and a very well made scope. The customer service at Hawke is awesome.

Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 03:51
I had a chat with Brad Bonar a little while back and he left me one of the Endurance 30 scopes for review (I have reviewd a couple of Hawke products already).  The Endurance 30 model I am looking at is 1.25-4.5x24

So far it is not looking bad at all, but I have just started playing with it.

ILya
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 06:50
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

I have two Endurance series scopes in use now on heavy kicking 9.3x62s and they are both holding up well. In my opinion the optic quality is just below a Bushnell 4200 and about in line with a Leupold VX III.

I confirmed thur Hawke tech service that it is indeed OK to use a 1.5volt battery for a dimmer dot which I feel it needs for shooting at last possible light.

They also sent me scopes from the Nite-Eye series and they are definately a lot lower end than the Endurance line. I've looked them all over and I think the Endurance line is the best value and a very well made scope. The customer service at Hawke is awesome.

I'm glad to hear the Endurance series scopes are holding up well, and that the customer service is excellent. I think that's what I'll look into for purchasing.

I knew I read about the 1.5 volt battery somewhere on here. I'm assuming the lower voltage was a success at dimming down the dot?

Thanks
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 07:16
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I had a chat with Brad Bonar a little while back and he left me one of the Endurance 30 scopes for review (I have reviewd a couple of Hawke products already).  The Endurance 30 model I am looking at is 1.25-4.5x24

So far it is not looking bad at all, but I have just started playing with it.

ILya

I've read your review on the Frontier SF 4-16x42, as well as your review on the Frontier ED binoculars. I'd like to say thank you for all you do here on OT, your a very valuable asset to this forum and my hats off to you sirExcellent. I look forward to your review of the Endurance 1.25-4.5x24 scope.

It's too bad the glass in the Frontier scopes isn't as great as the glass in the Frontier ED binoculars. Then again, I don't know very much about binoculars, I need to do some reading in that area.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 08:25
 Also, could I safely assume that the glass in all Frontier scopes is the same? If so, wouldn't this be a heck of a deal?: http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-9x40-Frontier-Riflescope-P41124.aspx  A $140.00 scope, that's very close, optically, to a Sightron S11 Big Sky, Vortex Viper and a Leupold VX-3. Those scopes cost two to three times as much as the Hawke Frontier.

Thanks again
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 09:04
I wish they, along with Promastser and Zen Ray would come up with a spotter with that world class glass they have in the binos.  
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 10:03
I agree, customer service at Hawke is great.  I have spoken to Brad so many times I cannot count.  This is when SWFA did not carry their scopes and he was having a hard time breaking into the American market.  At that time there were only a couple places that carried them.  I did my research, talked to him after making a phone call to the distribution center for NA, just by asking for someone to speak to and after discussing his product for 30 minutes, bought my first scope.  5 scopes later I have yet to be disappointed with any, especially given the fair prices.  The Fronteir, non-Japanese made and the Endurance models are optically superior to their less costly siblings, but the others are no slouches and have the SR and/or MAP reticles which work just as advertised.  Since then, Brad has called me, yes I said called me, to ask how my scopes were doing, to discuss my success with the SR/MAP reticle and update me on new products.  I have called several scope companies before to talk about their product and usually was given the brush off, with one brief success that ended in a very brief conversation.  While it is true that they are new to the market, I still believe their customer service will continue to be excellent.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 10:28
Originally posted by safariarms man safariarms man wrote:

The Fronteir, non-Japanese made and the Endurance models are optically superior to their less costly siblings, but the others are no slouches and have the SR and/or MAP reticles which work just as advertised.

Which Frontiers are non-Japanese made? What's the difference?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 13:23
Originally posted by ti-force ti-force wrote:

Also, could I safely assume that the glass in all Frontier scopes is the same? If so, wouldn't this be a heck of a deal?: http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-9x40-Frontier-Riflescope-P41124.aspx  A $140.00 scope, that's very close, optically, to a Sightron S11 Big Sky, Vortex Viper and a Leupold VX-3. Those scopes cost two to three times as much as the Hawke Frontier.

Thanks again

That is not the case, unfortunately.

Hawke Frontier scopes are clones of Sightron S1.  They even look the same and I suspect they are made by the same factory.

Hawke Frontier SF scopes are a different animal entirely and cmpete with the S2 Big Sky, Leupold VX-3, etc (and are priced accordingly)

ILya
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 14:45
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

That is not the case, unfortunately.

Hawke Frontier scopes are clones of Sightron S1.  They even look the same and I suspect they are made by the same factory.

Hawke Frontier SF scopes are a different animal entirely and cmpete with the S2 Big Sky, Leupold VX-3, etc (and are priced accordingly)

ILya

Darn!Really Sad

I thought it sounded too good to be true. Not that the S1 is a bad scope or anything. Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me, and anyone else who might have thought the same thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic