OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoping lightweight 270WSM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping lightweight 270WSM
    Posted: July/10/2009 at 17:46
I am having a lightweight 270WSM delivered in the next week or two and I need to scope it.  Trued Rem700, McMillan Hunter's Edge, 24-inch Shilen #3.  I'm expecting it to go 6 or 6.5 pounds.  I'd like to keep the scope compact and within 9 to 13 ounces.  I generally dislike larger/heavier scopes on mountain-type rifles.

I'm thinking Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 or Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 or Swarovski AV/Z3 3-9x36.  Are there any others that I shold consider?  I would love to to go up to the Victory or Z6 models, but the size and weight don't necessarily fight what I'm trying to achieve with this rifle.
CornFedHusker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 17:51
Fight?  Perhaps I shouldn't drink beer and read about UFC 100 while I post.  The Victory Diavari and Z6 scopes don't MATCH what I'm trying to achieve.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:00
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
  • 13.6 oz
$409.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
While you can get this in a 6x36 for a hundred less this has the new much improved glass of the VX3 line.  Since this is a fixed power the balistic reticle is always on target and with the center crosshairs and two aiming points below I'm thinking Zero at 200 next dot at 300 next dot at 400  and where the cross hair goes thin to thick at 500. A little time on the range should tell the tale.  Tough scope nothing to be messing with when you should be shooting. Super Bright 7mm exit eye pupil.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/10/2009 at 18:02

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:13
Used a 6x36 last year and still have a 4x33 on hand.  I do like fixed scopes as well.  Never fired past 250 with them though.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:14
As I was reading the OP I was thinking VX3 2.5-8x36.  I don't care for the large ocular's of the Zeiss or Swaro on a lightweight rig.

I've got a Conquest on a Sako 85 in 270wsm.  It is suspected of not holding zero.  Next range session the rifle will be tested with a known scope to prove or disprove.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:19
I aboslutely LOVE the Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32. It has excellent glass and extraordinary low-light performance. Toguh as nails, too.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:43
Compromises, compromises!......The whole point with a light rifle, is to own a light rifle WITH the scope`s weight included. Imo, it does little good to own a lighter rifle to then mount a heavier scope on it. Defeats the whole purpose of the lighter rifle concept. 

The 2.5-8x36 VX3 would make an excellent choice for your 270 WSM. However, the Zeiss Victory and the Z6 will give you the better glass but along with more weight. That is where your compromising must be done,,,,,better optical glass quality vs less weight.

Regardless of scope brand, if you can keep your overall rifle weight within 7 to 7 1/2 lbs (preferably within 7 to 7 1/4 lbs ), that should work just fine.   
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:56
My light-weight stalker 270 wears a Swaro and I couldn't be happier, 3.5-10 ballistic plex.  It has enough power, but not too much, and is relatively small and light.

The Conquest would work too, but if you aren't trying to save a few $ (which I doubt you are, with a McMillan stock and Shilen barrel), get the Swaro.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 19:20
Here is a discussion we had on tweener scopes a little while back:

I did not include the Swaro 3-9x36 in there because it is a little different from what I defined as a tweener, but it is an exceptionally good lightweight scope.

If you are looking for a 3-9x magnification range in as light of a scope as possible, Swaro would be at the top of my list.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 00:08
Originally posted by CornFedHusker CornFedHusker wrote:

Used a 6x36 last year and still have a 4x33 on hand.  I do like fixed scopes as well.  Never fired past 250 with them though.

That would be where the reticle - "long range duplex" (which has two additional hold over marks below the intersection of the cross hairs), comes in to play. There is a lot of price difference between some of them in the smaller scopes.  For a hunting scope I would rather have a 7mm exit eye pupil so  6x42 or 5x35 or 4x28 but you can always dial down the power to get there on a variable. While the glass is not super impressive on the Weaver it's not bad and they are legendary for their ability to hold their zero even when abused. The 6x Leupolds are too.

Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Rifle Scope Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800471
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Mail-In Coupon for a Free Canvas Gear Bag (Valued at $125)
$299.95 
Add Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Rifle Scope to Cart 
New Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5217179960
  • Matte
  • Illuminated #60
  • 30mm
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
$2,199.95 
Add New Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipoint 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/11/2009 at 00:34

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 02:25
I have a Kimber 270 WSM SA 6lbs.10ozs. and Ive ordered a Leo VX-3  4.5x14x40 30 mm with CDS at 15 ozs....... unloaded it will weigh about 7.10 lbs. Sling & Ammo Im guessing 8 lbs total.

But Im looking at another '09 Kimber Stainless Classic in 243 or 7mm-08 which weighs 5lbs. 10ozs. and I will probably put a lighter weight scope on it. For medical reasons I cannot handle much recoil so I cannot get them to lightweight or I have to stick to smaller calibers.
This one I would like a Swaro 3x10x42 on.......
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 10:16

I've been looking at the Kahles 2-7x36 on Ilya's recommnedation in the tweener scope thread.  Browsing the technical specs on that scope, it appears that it has consistent eye relief.  That's a plus.  Has anyone used a Multizero scope?  Did you like it?  Useful or not?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 11:13
One more Q -

Is the new Swaro Z3 series just the old American series in a new tube?  I'm curious about that.  Did they make any internal upgrades?  I've owned Swaro American 3-9x36 and 3-10x42 models.  I never experiences zero-retention issues like some have.  I'm a bit leery to put one on a lightweight magnum, but I have heard good things about Swaro customer service.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 17:18

I have been buying scopes for a number of rifles. Two of the  scopes I just got in recently are the zeiss conquest 2.5-8x32 and the leupold 2.5-8x36. On my fairly accurate scale the zeiss was 13.4 or 13.5 ounces the leupold 11.1 or 11.2 ounces. The Zeiss has about .5 inches more eye relief. Both have enough eye relief for your rifle. The Zeiss has a little more f.o.v. at low end. The Zeiss has thicker crosshairs for the thick part and both have thin hairs in the center. The leupold thick hairs come a little closer together than the Zeiss before the hairs get thin. I love both scopes. the zeiss is .25 inch longer overall. The eyepiece length is the same on both scopes.

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 02:45
CFH, The new Z3 is the old American Series, yes. I called Swarovski Tech Support and they told me the only NEW features about the Z3 are the slimmmer look and an additional coating for better low light condtions. They may have stated the new coating purpose in different terms than that. But thats about it, its mostly to make the Z3 (American Version) look like the Z6 ..I really like my Swaro and I plan on buying another...
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 02:56
Originally posted by CornFedHusker CornFedHusker wrote:

Fight?  Perhaps I shouldn't drink beer and read about UFC 100 while I post.  The Victory Diavari and Z6 scopes don't MATCH what I'm trying to achieve.
You wasnt reading this was you

LAS VEGAS,

July 11 – Brock Lesnar may not have made many fans in the Mandalay Bay Events Center Saturday night by stopping local hero Frank Mir in the second round of their long awaited UFC 100 rematch, but if there’s one thing clear, it’s that beating the UFC heavyweight champion is going to be a tall order for anyone in the division.

“He did a good job,” said Mir, who handed Lesnar his only pro loss in February of 2008. “He neutralized the standup, got me against the cage, and I guess I’ve got something to work on.”

40 seconds in, the two engaged, with Lesnar taking Mir to the mat. Lesnar stayed close and kept his cool, making sure he didn’t get overaggressive like he did in their first fight, which would allow Mir to take advantage and lock in a submission. The crowd didn’t care for Lesnar’s patient approach, but it was scoring points for the champion as he used his bulk to tire Mir while mixing in short but effective punches to the head and body. By the time the bell sounded, Mir’s face showed the scars of battle.

Lesnar dumped Mir on the mat early in round two, but the champion let him right back up. That almost looked to be a mistake as Mir scored with some good shots and almost caught Lesnar’s neck before they toppled to the canvas with the Minnesotan on top. And despite the chants of the crowd to stand up the fighters, Lesnar was consistently working, and after another series of huge ground strikes, Mir was left with nowhere to go, forcing referee Herb Dean to halt the bout at the 1:48 mark.

With the win, Lesnar improves to 4-1; Mir falls to 12-4

by the sounds of Lesnar did a number on Mir

I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 10:24
I've got it narrowed down to a Kahles 2-7x36 or Swaro 3-9x36 if I go variable.  If I go fixed, it's hard to beat a 6x36 or 6x42 with ballistic reticle.

I think I'll wait until the rifle arrives to make a decision on size/weight.  I have several scopes here to use as a guide.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 10:52
I have 3 Kahles 2-7 MultiZero scopes and think it's probably the best balance.  FOV is better at the low end and eye relief is pretty consistent.  The prices they can probably be had for is pretty comparable to any of the above listed.

Just my 0.02...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 18:00
The Kahles cl 2-7 is an excellent scope, I have one on a kimber .260 and love it, though mine is not a multi-zero.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic