OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barrel Length - Long Range Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel Length - Long Range Rifles
    Posted: July/10/2009 at 17:26
http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length/

I ran across this info and thought I'd throw it out there for you guys to look at.   I've had a 20 inch .308 heavy barrel Savage 10FP and I really like the short heavy barrel. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 18:16
Dude, I posted this site a year ago...  
When will they EVER catch up?   
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 19:09
The mis-conceptions or myths about shorter barrels being less accurate are wide-spread, apparently even amongst a few qualified gunsmiths!! The laws of ballistic barrel physics are just amazing!! The only small dis-advantage to a shorter tube, if you can really call it one, is only a small percentage loss in velocity. That`s it! 

That article is very well done and very correct.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 19:11
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

The mis-conceptions or myths about shorter barrels being less accurate are wide-spread, apparently even amongst a few qualified gunsmiths!! The laws of ballistic barrel physics are just amazing!! The only small dis-advantage to a shorter tube, if you can really call it one, is only a small percentage loss in velocity. That`s it! 

Squeezer, you need to check out the pics of my 18" barreled 50BMG...  I thought you'd like it

Edited by Kickboxer - July/10/2009 at 19:13

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 19:23
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Squeezer, you need to check out the pics of my 18" barreled 50BMG...  I thought you'd like it
.... I do!! I do like!!....I saw those pics, then got distracted and forgot to post anything on that thread. That is one damn powerful "Squeezer Special"....Sharp ShooterDo you plan on taking that on your next elk, moose or bison hunt where your shooting ranges will be 1500-2000 yards???....Perhaps a better name for that rifle would be the,,,,"glass n shoot",,,,special?.....Laugh
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 19:32

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

.... I do!! I do like!!....I saw those pics, then got distracted and forgot to post anything on that thread. That is one damn powerful "Squeezer Special"....Sharp ShooterDo you plan on taking that on your next elk, moose or bison hunt where your shooting ranges will be 1500-2000 yards???....Perhaps a better name for that rifle would be the,,,,"glass n shoot",,,,special?.....Laugh

I'm thinking prarie dogs first...

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 19:38
A 50 cal BMG for some prarie dogs ay????? ........The "shoot em and bury em" special!!!.................Roll on Floor Laughing
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:06
more like "shoot and vaporize"  Big Squeeze!

Great links Wes!! Thunbs Up
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:55
Good job KB well worth a second look too.  I  find it a lot easier getting a rifle with a short barrel turned around inside a car.  (no I'm not hunting the worlds longest pasture)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 21:16
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Good job KB well worth a second look too.  I  find it a lot easier getting a rifle with a short barrel turned around inside a car.  (no I'm not hunting the worlds longest pasture)
Just raggin' on you... we can't look at those types of real world analysis/use enough.  I went and looked again.  Saw some stuff I had either forgotten or missed.  

safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 21:53
Urimfrnd, that is a great topic.  Barrel length has always fascinated me and bewildered me with the expectations of other shooters and what they need when they need it.  Simple physics answers most of the questions which have already been adressed and the offerings are out there most prominently by Remington and Weatherby, as well as FN in their carbine length rifles of various calibers.  Those stiff short barrels that minimize low frequency resonance and make mountain and carry hunting, and thus accuracy and easy carry respectively a plus, are what make those rifles special.  Now taking a hot magnum caliber that achieves its best out of that 26 to 28 inch barrel is not served by shooting it out of a 16 to 20 inch barrel, but actually could be done and still achieve good accuracy will still better ballistics that a comparable caliber in a non-magnum, unless the magnum requires that barrel length for complete powder burn.  Love the topic, thanks for bringing it up.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 00:54
Originally posted by safariarms man safariarms man wrote:

Those stiff short barrels that minimize low frequency resonance and make mountain and carry hunting, and thus accuracy and easy carry respectively a plus, are what make those rifles special.  Now taking a hot magnum caliber that achieves its best out of that 26 to 28 inch barrel is not served by shooting it out of a 16 to 20 inch barrel, but actually could be done and still achieve good accuracy will still better ballistics that a comparable caliber in a non-magnum, unless the magnum requires that barrel length for complete powder burn.  Love the topic, thanks for bringing it up.
..............Yep! You`re right!.....Naturally, any hot magnum cartridge will have better velocity out of a 26" to 28" barrel. But there a rare few like me, who like their cake and eat a little too, that prefer a more compact, faster handling rifle that is easier to carry around, but is also very powerful and capable of downing anything on the continent.

A 300 WSM would be better served with a 24" to 26" barrel. However from my 16.5" tubed `lil 35.5" OAL Ruger compact, as my chrony shows, I can slightly better 26" barreled 30-06 AI velocities using max loads. I can also get moa and sub moa groups from reduced loadings which are about on par with 24" tubed `06 performance.

No noticeable daytime muzzle flash, but it is very loud, a good kicker and is alot of fun to hunt with.

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 20:38
With my 20" Rem LTR .308 I always get about 100 fps less velocity than advertised for commercial ammo and in the 2600 fps for my own loads with 165 gr. bullets. I see that as a minor negative vs. all the pluses. Besides, once you get out past 300-350 yards with most cartridges you need a graduated reticle, target knobs or both so there is very little impact on the effective range of this cartridge. The 20" barrel hardly ever gets in the way, is easier to manuever and quite accurate.

According to Dan Lilja, an 18" barrel is 3.51X stiffer than a 26" for barrels of equal weight (5 lbs. 4 oz.) -  link. That's pretty signicant. Obviously you can make a longer barrel stiffer but you will lug that additional weight around all day. Funny how those myths get started. Those articles do a good job of disproving that one.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 11:50
My 30-06 that I cut down to 20" improved in accuracy at 100 and 200yds.  For the first time, I was able get that rifle to shoot under 1MOA with the Greek and Korean ammo I was using.  I didn't try any "good" ammo before I sent it off to be remade... "we have the technology.  We can make it stronger, faster... better than it was before".  

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 11:53
I'm talking to a "smiff" down in South Carolina about whacking Black Betty's barrel down from 26" to 20".

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 13:32
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm talking to a "smiff" down in South Carolina about whacking Black Betty's barrel down from 26" to 20".

dont do it mark, squeezer will never let us hear the end of it.Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 13:41
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 09:20
accuracy vs. barrel length is as old a topic as rms (the hills). It's been known for at least 30 years --since the days of unlimited handgun silhoutte (bolts and T/C) 14-16 barrels give as good as accuracy as longer. I suspect it started with arguements between the burn rates of black powder which is linear and progressives which peak and then fall off after 14 inches, with little to do with the accuracy aspect, which was introduced later. Longer barrels add wt. which keeps the gun down in solid position type shooting, and directes more of the muzzle blast forward away from the shooter and won't be going away in the future. Just depends on the gun's use--- get one of each.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 12:42

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Big Grin
.......................Roll on Floor Laughing
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 08:06

Why would you take a perfectly good "man sized" barrel and make a pop gun out of it???

Don't make sense to me.  I've never had a 24" or 26" barrel actually get in the way or create a problem and it balances a rifle.

Give away velocity............increase muzzle blast!!!!!?????

What for???  Loco
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic