OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA - New Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA - New Scopes
    Posted: July/09/2009 at 15:02
Could one of the optics experts, like Koskin or Chris give us an idea where the new SS 3-9x42mm scope is on the 2009 Riflescope Rating Scale?
Also how about a picture of the new SS10x42mm HD scope? 
 Appreciate any information.  Thanks.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 15:16
I'd put it 4 down from the top, on the same level with Nightforce NXS and Bushnell 6500.

It is, at this moment, unproven in long-term usage; however, with how Chris backs his stuff, I wouldn't worry about that at all.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 01:09
Sounds about right to me. Thunbs Up  I'm sure the HD model will be a winner too.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 12:03
Did you know about Koshkin's review on the 3-9?

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17763
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 14:07
Dark Bobo just an fyi Rancid Coolaid and Urimaginaryfriend both own a SS 3-9x42
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 15:33
And really like it.Excellent In fact my son was shooting both the SS 3-9x42 FFP and my Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x40 FFP and asking why both werent the SS due to how much more sense the 1/10mil adjustments make.  It just seems to take the guesswork out of it when zeroing the scope.  You just measure in mils from the center to where the first shot hit and dial in correction in mils then you are in the X ring -  Thunbs Up

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 15:42
Great scope!

(And don't interpret my lack of emoticons as a lack of enthusiasm.  I prefer exclamation points, mostly because emoticons are gay.)

Great scope!

Also, I own scopes on that level (4th from the top), below that level, and all the way up to the very top level; I know good glass, and this is a good deal for good glass.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - July/10/2009 at 15:43
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 17:11
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

(And don't interpret my lack of emoticons as a lack of enthusiasm.  I prefer exclamation points, mostly because emoticons are gay.)

Evil Laugh out Load
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:11
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

Dark Bobo just an fyi Rancid Coolaid and Urimaginaryfriend both own a SS 3-9x42

I would ask to join that list since I own one, but I don't know jack about optics compared to those two.  Although the more I play with it, the faster it is becoming one of my favorite scopes I currently own.  Better than the 4200 it replaced for sure.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:50
Roll on Floor Laughing

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 22:32

I would take Helo-18's opinion of it very seriously.

Despite his modesty, he knows plenty about scopes, and if he says it's better than the 4200, that says a LOT in my book...

And inthidently, thom of uth gentler typth prefer eoticonthe, becauthe they are kinder and nither than exthcamation pointh....Dude

Edited by RONK - July/10/2009 at 22:38
Dark Bobo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 07:35
Big Smile Thanks for the information gentlemen.  I do believe the SWFA SS 3-9x42mm is better than a Bushnell Elite 4200.  This new SWFA scope seems to be their best offering to date.  It is rare to find a 3-9x FFP and it is great that it is set up as a mil/mil.  I can only think of one competitor that offers the same value.
Having respect for SWFA, I will not mention the competitor's brand name.  Both SWFA and brand "X" have 30mm tubes, FFP, 3-9x and 42x Objectives.  Both are made in Japan.  Both do not have side parallaz knobs.  Brand "X" has 1/4 MOA adjustments and does NOT have a Mil-dot Reticle.  It has a different type of reticle that Zeiss also uses in some of their scopes.  Have a good one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 10:47
And Brand "X"'s glass isn't as good, Brand X is the "Brand X" I think it is.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 23:36
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I would take Helo-18's opinion of it very seriously.

Despite his modesty, he knows plenty about scopes, and if he says it's better than the 4200, that says a LOT in my book...

And inthidently, thom of uth gentler typth prefer eoticonthe, becauthe they are kinder and nither than exthcamation pointh....Dude

Laugh Above Nicely said Ronk.

And thanks for the vote of confidence.  I am still learning, and these guys know their stuff.  But I will attempt to share my little bits of knowledge.  And soon I hope to write up my own review of the SS Variable.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 10:47
Reaction from Polish owner of this rifle scope: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P500.aspx
quote:
Tak bardzo subiektywnie -> kiedyś zwariowałem i kupiłem. Celownik dosyć duży i ciężki w końcu Tactical. Mechanicznie ok, optycznie przeciętny. Na moje oko coś na poziomie Bushnell E3200 może nawet poniżej.
Kiedyś pisano na forum o bardzo zróżnicowanej jakości właśnie tego modelu, wiec zakładam, że mi trafił się ten nieudany.
Kupiłem go z myślą o sprężynie i właśnie w tym czasie ktoś na forum napisał, że roztrzepał ten model bodajże na Theobenie. Tak samo szybko jak kupiłem tak sprzedałem.
Moim zdaniem nie warto sobie nim zawracać głowy. Na PCP budżetowy DOT (którego również nie lubię) zjada go na śniadanie.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 10:48
right and that says what in english??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 10:57
Try http://translate.google.com/# I use it very often. Translating is better one sentence after one.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 11:09
Originally posted by kesi kesi wrote:

Try http://translate.google.com/# I use it very often. Translating is better one sentence after one.

So subjective -> once crazy and bought. Viewfinder quite large and heavy at the end of the Tactical. Ok mechanically, optically average. Something in my eye at the Bushnell E3200 or even below.Never written on the forum is very variable quality of the model, so I assume that I went to this failure.
I bought it with a view to a spring and this is the time of the forum someone wrote that this model probably roztrzepał on Theobenie. Just as soon as I got so sold.
In my opinion it's not worth the bother. On PCP DOT budget (which also does not like to) eat it for breakfast.

translated with that here is what i got.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 11:09
Crazy polish!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 14:05
Just for the record, I also own a 3-9x42 SS (along with 10x42 and 10x42HD) and it is a kick ass scope.

I would place it alongside Nightforce and Co on the rating scale as well.

If I were to rework the scale to include price into the equation, the 3-9x42 S.S. would right at the top.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic