OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any love for the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any love for the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any love for the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF ?
    Posted: July/08/2009 at 08:32
Hello from Maine,

I'm curious if any of you guys like the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 with side focus and mil-dot reticule ?

I bought one as a variable for my 223 heavy police sniper rig (Savage 110 FP) so I can shoot at 50-100 yards at my local range. But hope to someday shoot out to 300 and beyond, like 500 :) I'll need a friend in the country before I can do that :) Maybe a farmer's field?

Anyway I bought it for $235 shipped "as new". I have Nikon camera lenses so I'm interested in checking out their riflescopes.

So do you guys think I made a good choice?

Thanks,
Craig

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 08:52
I had an excellent experience with basically the same scope. Mine had a Nikoplex and an AO, but they are close.
Had it mounted on a .300 RUM Sendero SF. POI never moved.
Not a lot of "up" with that scope though.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 08:59
I see, thanks for the review.

I found another review here :

http://www.westernshooter.com/2008/03/nikon-buckmaster-44-14x40-sf-scope.html
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 09:11
I placed a 3-9x40 on a 243 for my son (8yrs old).  It has held zero well.  My experience has shown it to be accurate at the ranges you mentioned.  Are there better scopes available?  Sure.  But I have been pleased with my purchase.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 09:33
I thought the glass on mine, and other BM's I've fooled with) was exceptional, for the money spent.
Spy, check out "Nate" over at Sniper's Hide. He's always had good things to say about the scope in question.
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 10:09
Thanks fellas :)

I'll mount this on both my favorite 22lr (Savage mark II) and 223 (Savage 110 FP)

My two favorite guns are savage bolt guns :)

They are crazy accurate and I like that they are made right here in New England.

Have fun,
Craig
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 11:47
Have two, one started failing to hold zero on a .270, sent it back and they fixed it in about a month with no hassles. I like them, especially for longer range work and the optics appear very good for the pricepoint. Personally I wouldn't put one on anything that kicks more than a .30-06 though.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 12:20
I wouldn't want to fire anything that kicks harder than 30-06 anyway :) Ouch!
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 12:38
I have the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 with side focus and mil-dot reticule mounted on .17 Fireball for the last 2 years,it's fine for varmit popping.
 I shoot out to 250 yards or so and once the scope is set it stays that way.
I'm classic shag nasty type.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 15:20
Excellent scope for the .17 Fireball AJ!
I love the BM! I flat abused the 4.5x I had on the Sendero.
Zero problems and it started my love affair with all things Nikon...
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 01:56
I am really fond of Nikon SLR / dSLR and lenses, you ought to check one out :)

(I have a D40 with VR lenses and it's super)

I hope to have as much luck with my Nikon scope as I do with my Nikon camera :)

I'll post a target :)

Cheers,
Craig
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 02:03
I've mine on few guys over last 3/4yrs from 300win 308win 22-250. now its back on my 308 and its not holding a zero. other than that great scope. btw last gun i had it on was my 300win i wonder if the recoil had something to do  with it?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 06:28
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

Have two, one started failing to hold zero on a .270, sent it back and they fixed it in about a month with no hassles. I like them, especially for longer range work and the optics appear very good for the pricepoint. Personally I wouldn't put one on anything that kicks more than a .30-06 though.

thats funny ive had half a dozen  buckmasters on 30-06's and a 300wsm for almost 10 years now and i shoot quite a bit. i have the old style and the new both (3x9's though), not a stitch of trouble with either. cheaptrick mentioned the one he had on his 300ultra mag.maybe you just were the unlucky one twice (doubt it though)  i like the monarch better obviously, but when money is tight you gotta live inside of your budget. if you like the buckmaster the vortex diamondback is very comparable in all aspects.

Edited by pyro6999 - July/09/2009 at 06:30
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 15:48
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

I've mine on few guys over last 3/4yrs from 300win 308win 22-250. now its back on my 308 and its not holding a zero. other than that great scope. btw last gun i had it on was my 300win i wonder if the recoil had something to do  with it?
WOW goes to show i shouldnt be post thing late @ night......ive had mine on few guns over last 3/4yrs..... sorry not guys my bad.....
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:33
Well I got it in the mail today :) It's very nice! Honestly this is the most expensive scope I have ever owned, I don't count the Super Sniper 20X because it has such a small exit eye pupil (In my opinion it's a scope made for shooting in the bright desert)

I sold my SS 20X and it just about paid for this one.

So what's this one like? Excellent build quality and I have utmost confidence in it. Unlike my cheap scopes I know this one will work properly - with those cheapies I'm not sure if they will be reliable and repeatable and accurate.

How is the glass? Well I only tested it indoors looking out the window, in that test the glass was not legions better than my cheap scopes ($75 Chinese Leupold M3 clones scopes, see here) however I'm sure at the range when I'm trying to focus on a small target in adverse lighting I will see a big difference.

I'll bring two similar rifles and compare the scopes :) One will be a Savage Mark II with the Nikon BuckMasters scope, and the other a Marlin model 60 with the Chinese M3 clone scope. The targets will be little "once fired" brass casings on the berm - so very small! Only a really clear scope can work for that game. My range always has a bucket of spent brass at the benches as we're supposed to pick up our brass.

I know there is a lot you can't test until you are actually in the field - for example, I had this one scope that had a reflection in the ocular lens (nearest to my eye) if there was light behind me! I had to shoot from a shadow area. (it was a millet gold buck if I recall and I think the ocular glass wasn't coated, probably a QC issue with that particular scope)

I'll give a range report with pics (coincidentally taken with my Nikon camera)

Until then I can say it certainly seems like an excellent quality scope :)

Cheers,
Craig

Edited by spystyle - July/11/2009 at 08:04
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 22:19
I have a 4.5-14 and a 6-18X Buckmaster and generally think they're real good scopes for the money; I don't think you'll be disappointed. However, something I (and others) have noticed about the B-masters is the field-of-view: it sometimes looks restricted, almost like looking down the wrong end of a scope. Although the f.o.v. might measure out as spec'd., it just doesn't appear to be as "spacious" as, say, a Bushnell @ similar power...kinda hard to explain. Probably has something to do with the economics of putting decent-quality glass in a SF scope for this price.
These Buckmasters have spoiled me for side-focus, though, and I'll probably put up with the above annoyance rather than trade for AO scopes of similar price and quality, such as some of the Weavers of Bushnells.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 07:42
I have one mounted on a Ruger K77/17 VMBBZ and just love it. EXCELLENT scope so far I think you will enjoy yours
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic