OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who is the king of crap?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is the king of crap?
    Posted: July/07/2009 at 20:34
I'm looking for a cheap 6x24 to mount on a .22lr,  leapers, nc star, bsa and tasco all sell what i'm looking for at a fair price..

I've been doing a lot of reading on leapers and it seems that some are satisfied with their purchases but most think its complete junk...  I still want one for some reason Bucky

Which company should I go with? 

safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 20:42
How much are you willing to spend.  Leapers and NC Star are the king of crap.  For a 22lr a BSA or Tasco could serve you well, but for just a few bucks more and I mean just a few bucks more a Bushnell or even a Weaver fixed power scope would serve you better.
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 21:56
Well it is for a cheap .22 so I don't want to spend much...   I would say $200 tops

I've owned a 3x9 tasco and the crosshairs actually shifted when I zoomed in or out but that was the $50 model at wallyworld so maybe the 6x24x50 is a bit better...
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 22:30
All the ones you mentioned are complete junk. A Simmons ProHunter has good glass for a Chinese scope but I have no clue how well it tracts or how long it will last. A Bushnell Legend is a decent scope. A Mueller Eradicator 8.5-25x50 ($230) Japanese glass in a Chinese scope is actually a decent scope but has a hyper critical eye positioning. Spend $300ish and you're into a Weaver and that's a good scope. 

Edited by sholling - July/08/2009 at 00:22
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 22:35
I own a Hawke 2.5-10 x 44 Frontier,I can't say enough good things about this scope.SWFA is selling them for $159.The glass is made in Japan & the thing is put together in England.I have mine on a MKll Savage no problem after a year.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 00:19
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95 
Add Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope to Cart 
I have one of these on my 22 and I am quite satisfied with it.  Honestly the quality of most 22 ammo is the limiting factor much more so than the scope.  If you were talking about a 17 HMR you could actually get some decent groups at 100 and most likely out to 200 however  with a 22 to get a really decent group at 50 yds you have to be having a good day or using rather expensive 22 match grade ammo.  I really dont see a lot of use for a really high power 22 scope. I had a 4-16x40 Bushnell 4200 on the same 22 for a while.  I just traded it in to SWFA so if you are interested in a good used scope insetad you might give them a call as it will come up on Samplelist shortly.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/08/2009 at 00:21

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GravelBen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravelBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 04:49
I have a Nikko Nighteater 6x36 on my Savage Mk2 .22 and its actually not bad, much nicer optically than the 3-9 tasco I was offered as an alternative package for the same price. Also a lot better in low light than assorted 4x25 scopes I've used on friends' rabbit guns.

Stick with fixed rather than vari magnification and you should get much better glass for your money. As others have said there isn't really much point in more magnification than that on a gun that will generally only be used out to 100yds anyway.
No fool is the man who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 05:10
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95 
Add Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope to Cart 
I have one of these on my 22 and I am quite satisfied with it.  Honestly the quality of most 22 ammo is the limiting factor much more so than the scope.  If you were talking about a 17 HMR you could actually get some decent groups at 100 and most likely out to 200 however  with a 22 to get a really decent group at 50 yds you have to be having a good day or using rather expensive 22 match grade ammo.  I really dont see a lot of use for a really high power 22 scope. I had a 4-16x40 Bushnell 4200 on the same 22 for a while.  I just traded it in to SWFA so if you are interested in a good used scope insetad you might give them a call as it will come up on Samplelist shortly.

I kind of agree, this is for a semi auto .22lr but i'm not really interested in tight groups at long ranges, I would just like to see my targets from a bit further, I have a cheap 3x9 banner on it right now but I would like something that zooms in more.  

But you are wrong about the capability of a decent bolt action .22lr,  some can print out very tight groups at 50-100 yards, I don't think the quality of the ammo makes a difference, each gun has it's preferenceCool
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 05:13
Originally posted by GravelBen GravelBen wrote:

I have a Nikko Nighteater 6x36 on my Savage Mk2 .22 and its actually not bad, much nicer optically than the 3-9 tasco I was offered as an alternative package for the same price. Also a lot better in low light than assorted 4x25 scopes I've used on friends' rabbit guns.

Stick with fixed rather than vari magnification and you should get much better glass for your money. As others have said there isn't really much point in more magnification than that on a gun that will generally only be used out to 100yds anyway.

I think you're right, the only reason I want a scope with a variable magnification is so that I can use it both for hunting and plinking at long ranges, which is where the 6x24 comes into play.
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 05:15
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

All the ones you mentioned are complete junk. A Simmons ProHunter has good glass for a Chinese scope but I have no clue how well it tracts or how long it will last. A Bushnell Legend is a decent scope. A Mueller Eradicator 8.5-25x50 ($230) Japanese glass in a Chinese scope is actually a decent scope but has a hyper critical eye positioning. Spend $300ish and you're into a Weaver and that's a good scope. 

I know their junk haha... but one has to be better than the rest...

I own a couple of cheap sup $100 scopes that hold up well with airguns, i'm sure one of these can work with a .22lr.... 
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 07:34
    A Bushnell Trophy 6-18 would be a fine choice.

The elcheapo's (Leapers, BSA, ad nauseaum) do make good paperweights, so they're not entirely without a purpose. Wink
"Marsupials scare me".
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 07:46
  I guess if your wanting something in that power range but are open to other brands you might consider this:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 09:49
Here's a Simmons 6-24x44 ProHunter on a Ruger 10/22.

Here's a Mueller Eradicator with a sunshade on another 10/22.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 10:04
I don't understand the "I know it's junk but I'm buying it anyway" mentality.  You'll spend twice as much in the long run. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 10:28
  I agree,JG.  I was gonna just tell him to send me the $$ and I burn it for him.

Just KIDDIN,lexmark,just KIDDEN!!!!!  There are some low priced optics that'll work on a .22 it's just that what you have listed as your options,we're just not sure of.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 10:41
I own both the Hawke and another Weaver and they are great scopes, not just for the money, but because they are excellent scopes.  The Hawke can also be had in other models with the SR or MAP reticle that can be used with their program on their website.  The Weaver K series fixed power scopes are a bargain.  Simmons is right up their with the king of crap.  The old Japanese made Simmons were really good.  I have had only one scope break and that counts all the crap and it was a Simmons Aetec.  After properly mounting it, the side focus would not work.  I used a FAT wrench, like on all scope mounting jobs with Warne rings and mounts that had housed another scope without problems.  The focus seemed to work fined before, but I cannot remember if I put it all the way around or not.  Either way, no good.  My old Simmons models still work fine.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 14:53
In the $200 range I'd put a Nikon Team Primos on it. Maybe not ideally suited for a .22, but will hands down beat any scope listed in the original post.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 18:22
alright thanks for the suggestions, i guess i'll forget about the brands i listed and do my research on simmons, hawk, weaver ect...
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 18:43
" You rang? "  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 19:08
That is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic