OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Rifle Scope
    Posted: July/07/2009 at 15:37
In your opinion - if money were no object - what is the best rifle scope made?

I need a new scope for a new custom rifle in 338/378 Wby and plan on using it for everything from long range elk hunting to moose, brown and grizzly bear hunting.

I'm leaning towards a Swaro Z6, or Profesional Hunter, a Zeiss Diavari, or a Schmidt & Bender -  all in the 3-10 or 4-12 range.

But there's so many good choices out there that I'm really having a tough time deciding.  What say you? 

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 15:42
Zeiss Diavari. Hands down.

Better eye relief and bigger eybox.....and at least equal optics. On a boomer like that, the eye relief wins.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 15:45
Whatever the criteria and weighting, Diavari is definitely close to the top if not THE top.  I have the 3-12x56 and it is great.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 16:05
my vote is for the Premier Heritage. i had the priviledge of looking through several of the best made, and to my eyes, the Premier was just better than the rest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 16:11
Originally posted by Dave Wilson Dave Wilson wrote:

my vote is for the Premier Heritage. i had the priviledge of looking through several of the best made, and to my eyes, the Premier was just better than the rest.

For its intended purpose, it is indeed among the best; however, for hunting, unless the rifle is 12 pounds (which it may be), it wouldn't be my first choice.

I have the Premier, it is indeed great, but a hunting scope, it is not.  It could be made to work just fine in that roll, but that isn't the roll for which Premier made the scope.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 16:44
I think you'd have to distinguish between the category of rifle scope to begin to answer that question.  For instance, you'd probably get a different answer for tactical scopes vs. hunting scopes vs. benchrest shooting scopes vs. varmint scopes, etc.  Then, the answer might even be different depending on the power range class.

In my humble opinion, based only on the brands I have experience with, I would probably go with the Zeiss Diavari as well, but I like what I've seen of the Swaro Z6, and one of my favorite scopes is a S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 Flashdot.  For hunting scopes, I think Zeiss, Swaro, and S&B are basically neck and neck and the decision between those would come down to power/objective size combinations and reticles based on what I wanted to use it for.  For a "money is no object" tactical scope, I'd probably go with a Premier or maybe one of the new March 10:1 zoom scopes.  Or, maybe I'd just get a Super Sniper and spend the money I saved on my rifle.  I'd probably choose other brands for target, varmint, etc.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 20:49
Personally, not to knock the scopes you have chosen, which are well and good, but a sturdy fixed power 6x scope or a variable in the 2-7x range would be sufficient.  I would choose a Leupold for your purposes in either the fixed or variable scope, in one of their top of the line scopes for that rifle.  They have a great history of reliability for hard kickers, especially the fixed power scope, as well as their variables, with good CS.  Their optics, despite their detractors are first rate and they are American made.  Realistically, at all legal shooting light conditions there will be no difference.  German scopes are great, no doubt about it, but the Leupold stands out in my opinion as a great scope compared to the price of the German made models.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 22:04
 I have no valid experience with the very high end scopes, but I will suggest rethinking your choice of a magnification range if you will be hunting brown (Kodiak) bears. You do not want a low-end of 4x in the alders...
A 1-4X variable or the1.5-6X Flashdot Rifle Dude suggested would be a far more survivable choice.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 00:30
I'll second the idea that a low power variable like a 1.5-6x42  or something in the 2 to 2.5x range on the low end would be a better idea.  Here is what I would want.
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR22
  • Matte
  • Amber Triangle
  • 30mm
$806.95 
Add Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
New Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5217179960
  • Matte
  • Illuminated #60
  • 30mm
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
$2,199.95 
Add New Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipoint 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart

Zeiss 2.5-10x50 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope Zeiss 2.5-10x50 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5217359940
  • Matte
  • Illuminated #40
  • 30mm
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
$2,199.95 
Add Zeiss 2.5-10x50 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/08/2009 at 00:33

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 10:07
My money is on the Diavari.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 10:48
Originally posted by safariarms man safariarms man wrote:

Personally, not to knock the scopes you have chosen, which are well and good, but a sturdy fixed power 6x scope or a variable in the 2-7x range would be sufficient.  I would choose a Leupold for your purposes in either the fixed or variable scope, in one of their top of the line scopes for that rifle.  They have a great history of reliability for hard kickers, especially the fixed power scope, as well as their variables, with good CS.  Their optics, despite their detractors are first rate and they are American made.  Realistically, at all legal shooting light conditions there will be no difference.  German scopes are great, no doubt about it, but the Leupold stands out in my opinion as a great scope compared to the price of the German made models.
I got to thinking about my post and felt guilty.  To qualify things, while I have tons of experience with many calibers of rifles and many brands of scopes, I have never owned or shot a rifle with any that you mentioned, nor have ever shot an elk.  Therefore, I felt compelled to qualify my earlier post.  It was made based on my general hunting knowledge and vast reading about hunting elk and the type of optics needed.  I still personally believe like the previous posters a lower upper end magnification would be better, as the lighter the scope is preferential and durability in still a major concern.  Now with a rifle like you have, a nice upper, uber, end scope would be nice.  rifledude seems to have experience with all the models in some form or fashion which is very helpful.  I own a Trijicon and would not hesitate taking it with me, if it were a smaller model.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 11:13
Additionally, Safari - and this is personal opinion based on experience, military and civilian: the words "best" and "leupold" almost NEVER go in the same sentence.

I'll hold my original post and say the Zeiss is still a great option.  Lower power is a good thing for close-in targets, but something a little higher (too) would be good for a longer shot on elk or other.  The 1.5-6 is about as good as it can get.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 11:41
Also, keep in mind the OP included the qualifier "money is no object."  When price is completely removed from consideration, value for $ spent becomes a non-issue and the focus becomes what's "the best" in an absolute sense.  The performance of the best scopes may not be better in direct proportion to the price differential vs. some upper mid level scopes.  Nevertheless, when money is no object, the best is still the best, no matter how slight the margin due to diminishing returns.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cfusco View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 13:35
Thanks for all the posts guys.  Based on some of the comments here and on some comments from others, I am seriously leaning towards the Diavari in a 2.5  x 10.  Although the Swaro in 1.7 x 10 is a close runner up.

I am ruling out the Schmidt and Bender based on weight, (20 oz for the S&B vs. 16oz for the Zeiss and 18 oz for the Swaro). And although I do love Leupolds I have more Leupolds than I can count.  Plus since this is a custom rifle I wanted to add some pizzaz to it and go all out for a scope.

I'm heading to Cabela's now to check Zeiss and Swaro out side by side.  But so far I'm liking the Zeiss.

Thanks for your help.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 14:37
Originally posted by cfusco cfusco wrote:

Thanks for all the posts guys.  Based on some of the comments here and on some comments from others, I am seriously leaning towards the Diavari in a 2.5  x 10.  Although the Swaro in 1.7 x 10 is a close runner up.

I have a 2.5-10X50 Diavari, and I can promise you, you wouldn't be at all disappointed in that scope.  Then again, the 1.7-10X42 Z6 is an impressive scope as well, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the Zeiss.
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 19:15
Just out of curiosity, who built your rifle on what action and so forth?  What is the weight of the rifle?  What type of elk hunting will you be doing, meaning, horseback, taken in as far as you can go by vehicular means and a lot of walking or taken to a remote area with little movement?
cfusco View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 16:56
The rifle is still being built.  Dave Bruno out of Dayton, PA is building it.  It is being built on a BAT action with a stainless Kreiger barrel, McMillan stock and coated with a polymer/ceramic finish from Falcon Gun Finishing.  The whole rig before scope should way slightly over 7.5 lbs.

As for elk hunting, I do a variety of types of hunting - everything from spot and stalk from old logging roads to fly-ins to remote areas.  My goal was to get a rifle light enough to handle various types of hunting but not so light that it punishes me when I pull the trigger.  I think 7.5 lbs will be a happy medium.

Are you from Safari Arms Co.?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 19:22
Originally posted by cfusco cfusco wrote:

The rifle is still being built.  Dave Bruno out of Dayton, PA is building it.  It is being built on a BAT action with a stainless Kreiger barrel, McMillan stock and coated with a polymer/ceramic finish from Falcon Gun Finishing.  The whole rig before scope should way slightly over 7.5 lbs.

Very nice!!!
Ted

308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 20:49
my 2.5-10x42 zeiss diavari with #4 is the best scope i have ever owned. i have owned nightforce, s&B, swaro PH, conquest, leupys-various, etc....
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 21:07
Originally posted by 308WIN 308WIN wrote:

my 2.5-10x42 zeiss diavari with #4 is the best scope i have ever owned. i have owned nightforce, s&B, swaro PH, conquest, leupys-various, etc....

I'll ++ on that, but I have not owned a NF, have used one, except for ruggedness ( I would not put the Zeiss on my .458 Lott, a NF I would) it is my favorite hunting scope of all.  Of course, NF is for a different kind of hunting...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic