OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ME OPTA scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBDrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ME OPTA scopes
    Posted: June/07/2005 at 11:52
Is anyone familiar with ME OPTA products?
How do they compare with Zeiss or Leopold?

Thanks
Willie
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 12:24

The new Meostars seem to be a very good value for the money. 

ranburr

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 12:54

Agreed...

I checked out the Meopta Line at a product open house.

The scopes all had very good optical attributes and are very bright and sharp.

The spotting scopes were a little different. Their 60mm Spotting Scope is excellent. Their larger (believe it was 80mm) had optical issues; maybe it was just a bad apple.

Anyhow if you looking for excellent glass which is overlooked and priced low it is a brand you should check out.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 17:16
Meopta has come a long way since the fall of communism.  Took them a while to overcome old world practices and grasp the idea of capitalism.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 19:16

Meopta is a very experienced  scope company...Their scopes allways stays amongs the best in the world. ( not since the fall of comunism..) wake up !! .The americans dont know meopta products because they are com block ...and almost forbiden for YOU (not for me...Im from spain and enjoy with czech products ..like meopta and CZ since decades ago...) ...like a small proof of quality....in WW2 the SS snipers use a  MEOPTA scope...and zeiss in germany made a copy of other czech scopes.

About "How do they compare with Zeiss or Leopold? ".....they are in the same quality step than german made scopes (zeiss, gerhardt, kaps or another)....and can be compared with the best leupolds (mk4, LPS and long range lines), of course are better than vari 1 / 2 / 3 leupolds.

Some meopta very popular in my country are the fixed 4x32, 6x42 and 7x50....they offer very good quality and are cheaper..( I cant find them in american stores).

WBDrey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBDrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 20:12
Thank you for your replies.

Willie
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 09:58
Originally posted by ots03 ots03 wrote:

Their scopes allways stays amongs the best in the world. ( not since the fall of comunism..) wake up !! .The americans dont know meopta products because they are com block ...and almost forbiden for YOU

I know their products and company very well.  We were importing them into the U.S. in the 80's and have had extensive dealings with them.  Back then they had very little quality control.  They did not even understand the concept of "warranty" and thought we were joking about having them fix broken scopes.  I have also seen rejected products at various optic manufacturers in Europe that used Meopta for sub work.  They make a decent product today and better understand how to business in the free world but they are not up to the level of the big 3.

localyokel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote localyokel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 19:42
Meopta scopes are junk and their customer service is terrible. STAY AWAY!!! I recently bought a meopta meostar 3-10x50. When I recieved it I noticed there were black spots visible when looked thru (not to mention big ugly flat head screws). I looked in the eye piece with the aid of a small fashlight and noticed what looked to be an oily smudge on the interior glass. I called meopta and was told to send the scope back. I asked if the scope would be repaired or just replaced-I was assured it would be replaced and sent out ASAP. I sent it off. Now a week later I call meopta to see whats happening with my replacement. I am told that it would be at least 2 week before it would be looked at to see if it could be fixed. FIXED??? 2 WEEKS? I told "mike" this was total B.S. and that I was told a replacement would be shipped as soon as meopta recieved my scope back.....mike told me I was "missinformed" then hung up on me after I asked more questions. I called the secretary back and chewed her butt until she put super nerd "mike" back on the phone. I told him leupold. burris, or even tasco would immediatly send a replacement scope and yet meopta wants to REPAIR this defective POS AFTER 2 WEEKS. He told me "in a perfect world" they would just replace it that but not with meopta. I now have talk to Richard Gilligan if he desides to come to work (he is there about 1 day a week from what I have been from mike) and see what he has to say.

Bottom line is meopta scope are heavy and look good but are junk and the warranty sucks-if there even is a warranty....I asked about the warranty and got silence from good ol mike. I have heard now after my problems that meopta scopes can not take repeated recoil from anything larger than a .223 and I believe it. Buy a leupold-bushnell 4200-burris-zeiss or any other scope before you buy this junk from the Czech Republic......what do czechs know about rifle scope anyways-there american importer in new york is just plain lowsy.

P.S. While I had this scope I compared it to my Sightrom 3.5-10x44 and my leupold vari xIII and it simply did not stack up to either. The extra money for a meopta is a scam.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 19:49
localyokel, your dissatisfaction with Meopta scopes is duly noted.  There is no need to dig up and trash every thread involving Meopta.

Thanks
ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 22:33
at least he's consistant ILya!
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 23:00
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

at least he's consistant ILya!

True.
Every man is entitled to his own opinion though.

ILya
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 07:36
Meopta scopes are popular and have good reputation in Finland.  In a recent Metsästys & Kalastus (Hunting & Fishing in English) scope review Meopta R1 3-12x56 was on par in low light performance with Schmidt & Bender Zenith, beating scopes like Nightforce, Leupold VX-L and Nikon Monarch E (Monarch E is probably a European model, more expensive than regular Monarch). Scopes performing better than Meopta were all the top end mid-European scopes like Docter, Kahles, Swarovski and Zeiss.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 17:29
Many, many years ago before Meopta started importing optics into the U.S. we used to import a little 4x32 direct from them.  Our relationship started when they contacted us to see if we were interested in 1,000 scopes that were branded, Leatherwood.  They had cleared customs at were sitting at DFW int. airport.  Seems the deal between them and Leatherwood fell apart and they just wanted to dump the scopes so we bought them.  Many of them had rotated reticles right out of the box and when we attempted to return them they could not understand and actually denied.  Our agent/translator said they did not even have a word in their language for "warranty".  This was right after the wall came down and E. Germany and many of the oppressed Eastern countries were just starting to learn about capitalism.  I don't think they had words in their language for "quality control" either.

We've continued to have difficulties doing business with them still today.  I was not aware that they were treating consumers this way and I am sure that they will reap what they sow.  Thanks for the heads up localyocal, you've made your point and it has been acknowledged.  Your mission here is complete.  You more than welcome to stay and participate but chill on the Meopta slam, this is not their web site or their customer service portal.  Good luck with Gilligan btw.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 13:34
I do not own a Meopta, but have an acquaintance at the range who does.  I've used a couple of his and he has convinced others to purchase them... price and glass.  He buys one every chance he gets... I think he has 4 now.  Meopta has performed well everytime I've been able to use one and obviously Ken likes them.  None of the people I know who have purchased one has ever complained.  Just goes to show, like most things that are made by man, one man's jewel is another man's garbage...  I've thought several times of purchasing one, certainly always on my "look at" list if I am in the market...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 13:41
I owned one for a few days, glass was good, sold it because eye relief was a little short (and it was going on a 7-pound 300WM, not a good rifle for a short-eye relief scope.)

There were many things I liked about the scope, but the one thing i didn't was a big, big thing.  I think their eye relief has improved since then.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 13:55
Eye relief is still "shorter" than most people like, even though better than years ago.  That is the biggest "complaint" I have heard with the line... it is fairly "critical", too.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bcostabile20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcostabile20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 16:57
I have the Meostar 3-10x50 and I love it.  I do not have any problem with the eye relief on my 7mm mag Weatherby.  Great European Glass for not the European price.   I would recommend them to anyone.
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 18:03
Ive been happy with Meopta since I got one for my son to use on a target AR. Clear, sharp, the  adjustments sharp accurate and repeatable. Adustments also matched printed values!!. So, I got one to use on a 600 yd gun, and before health and eyesight went south, we did well together. Gotn a 3-10 with crosshairs, put it on a 300WSM. If a groudhog stuck his head up within 400yds, I could dial in the elevation changes and score one woodchuck. Found that hard to duplicate with Nikon, Leupold, Zeis and a couple of others. Target grade Leups and Weavers also did well at this. Next tried one on a Savage ML after the Monarch started 2 Grouping, fantasticslly accurate rifle, but the Nkion would give two separate groups @200 yd. One shot here and the next there, then repeat. One of the Artemis 3-10s cured that problem. @50 gr bullets @ 2400+ have perceptable recoil, as does the 300 WSM.  Two minor complaints are , first the plex crosshairs sre too fine in the suport/thick section, and the low light capabilities can get you in trouble if you dont watch your timepiece for legal shooting time. Our family has atotal of 5 Meoptas and are at this point very pleased wiith them, and as with any mechanical creations this could change at any time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic