OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope on 700 ADL - Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scope on 700 ADL - Pictures
    Posted: July/06/2009 at 23:09
I resisted scoping this 700 ADL 308 win because it's been fun shooting/hunting with it's open sights.  But I just put this Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 in Talley QD's on the gun to expand it's usefulness.  The Talley's are a pain (for me anyway) to install but they're a solid piece of work.  No range report yet.

Edited by timber - July/06/2009 at 23:10
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 23:12
Nice setup!  How is the bolt clearance when you open it?  Look forward to the range report.  Also, how do you like the scope.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 23:30
Great!  Better than the stock bolt.  You can grab it with your fist.  But if you're used to a 700 it'll feel different.  The bolt arc is bigger because it's longer.  When I first used it I kept short swinging (for lack of a better word) the bolt. 

The scope is nice.  It's a good fit dimensionally for the rifle/sights and power-wise I think it's going to be good as a close to mid-range hunter.

Here's two 700 bolts for comparison:

Edited by timber - July/07/2009 at 00:00
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 23:37
I can see how the oversized bolt handle would be different.  I bet it is nice when you have to wear gloves though.  Would mind a setup like that on my hunting rifles.  Easier to handle.  The power range on the scope will be a good one too.

What kind of groups were you getting with open sights?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 23:53
5-6" at 100 yards, on a good day.  I'm not a great shot. 

As to the "tactical" bolt - I've been experimenting with different things on this rifle.  I've always had to 'palm' the bolt on a 700 if I was in a hurry and it had a scope.  Otherwise I'd invariably get barked knuckles.  So this changes that situation. 

One thing to consider is the bolt's length makes it easier to catch on stuff (and knock it out of battery) if you're out in the woods.  If you have an older 700 that locked the bolt with the safety that wouldn't be a problem.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 09:12
Nice Timber.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:52
Awesome rifle and scope combination.  That is what I call a terrific set up.  Classic rifle, with a classic scope that is properly mag'ed for the caliber for hunting purposes.  I cannot say enough about the utility and beauty of this set-up.  It is perfect.  I have the same scope in the vx-III on a Remington BDL Deluxe in a 375 RUM and it is a great set up with an eye relief into the next county.  Congratulations on such a perfect rifle and nice replacement bolt which also complements the set up perfectly.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 20:54
By the way, the Talleys or Warnes, in my opinion are the only way to go and yes they are somewhat of a pain, but worth it.  Easier to set up than the fixed rings.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 17:13
Cool!!  The new Leupolds really look slick!!   I mean, slicker than the old models!!  Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 21:57
Ed, come on, the old Leupys looked good too.  I know on the this site Leupold does not reign king.  But, all of those pics in magazines with custom rifles and their Leupolds.  Gotta mean something.  I love a Leupy.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 10:46
Originally posted by safariarms man safariarms man wrote:

Ed, come on, the old Leupys looked good too.  I know on the this site Leupold does not reign king.  But, all of those pics in magazines with custom rifles and their Leupolds.  Gotta mean something.  I love a Leupy.

Oh I know they did!!  I just think that they have " out did "  themselves.    Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 13:33

Nice Rig Timber!

I like everything about that set-up, including the scope. Im going to consider using those Talley QD's on my next rifle which Im trying to put together here lately..Again Good Job!

JF
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 15:24
as much as i hate glossy scopes i think it really makes the rifle look better!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 21:05
Thanks for all the compliments.  I was trying for the 'old-school' look so that's why I went with the glossy finish.  I also thought it complimented the polished blue.

Those Talley's seem tough as nails.  First time I've used the levers and I am impressed how tight they can be installed.  Lots of leverage with the long levers.  Tricky to install but I'm no gunsmith.  Glad you guys like the set-up. 

Edited by timber - July/12/2009 at 21:30
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 21:48
i even like the oversized bolt handle. the adl's in general are so plain jane. yours is a neato take on a more modern "upscale" version.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 13:51
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i even like the oversized bolt handle. the adl's in general are so plain jane. yours is a neato take on a more modern "upscale" version.

That is definitely one of the nicest ADL's I've seen. The mounts, scope and wood are all really good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic