OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Light Recoil Huntin Calibers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Recoil Huntin Calibers
    Posted: July/06/2009 at 17:01
Hi Guys,

Ive decided to sell my 7mm Browning Bar Rifle. Its just not enjoyable for me to shoot anymore...In the state I live in we can go down to 243 for most game. So as far as very light recoil goes what are my choices? Im thinking 243, 7mm-08, maybe a 260? The only one of these Ive shot is the 243 and I can live with that recoil with the medical condition I have. Your EXPERIENCE please?

Thanks!
JF
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 17:45
I've had all three.  I'd say the recoil is pretty near the same, the 243 might be a smidge less.  I like the 7mm-08 the best for hunting.  If you find one that is a little on the heavy side, that will help with the recoil as well.

Also if you don't mind the noise (or don't mind wearing plugs) a muzzle break would help on a larger caliber rifle.  I have a break on a 300wm and it recoils like a 243....but it's loud.

Edited by swtucker - July/06/2009 at 17:47
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 18:11
I have a Remington M7 in .260 Rem. The recoil is mild with 120 and 140 grain bullets.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 18:19
I'd go with either 7mm-08, .260, or .25-06.  All three are very capable rounds that will take care of the majority of your big game hunting needs most anywhere you plan to hunt.  And, all 3 are easy on your shoulder.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 19:57
  JF,first off CONGRATS for admitting you've reached your recoil limits. After all,shooting is supposed to be fun! 
   If I were you I'd get my hands on as many different rifles and calibers/cartridges as you can and try'em out. So far I like all that have been suggested(ESPECIALLY the .25-06!!!) 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 20:00
7mm-08 or 25-06.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 20:09
.260 7-08 25-06 any of those three would be mild mannered and kill anything you would want.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 20:24
243 is a great choice, and with good bullets will take anything in the lower US. recoil is a function of velocity, bullet wt, and gun wt. -- so it will be lower across the board than any of the other calibers.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 20:36
There is also the Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts, and Savage in 250 Savage.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 21:41
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

There is also the Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts, and Savage in 250 Savage.

257 Roberts is a nice light kicking round.  The 25-06 has better performance, but kicks a little more.  I would recommend either of those rounds.  Although the 243 or 6mm are both light kickers.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 22:01

Whatever you choose to get for caliber, get it in another semi-auto like your old BAR. That will do as much as anything else in helping tame felt recoil, by spreading the recoil impulse over a longer period of time, giving you a "push" instead of a "karate chop".

Also-don't go ultralight in weight. Pounds are your friends.

Don't overlook the AR15 or AR10 platform either. Be sure to consider the 6.8 SPC cartridge.
And either get an adjustable stock or work with a smith to make the stock fit you PERFECTLY.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 00:46

Lots of good ideas Guys!, Thanks Alot!     Ive always liked the autos RONK, Im going to try and get my Old Bar sold first, I have no idea what its worth.

I thinking like most of you and I will add a 25-06 rifle to the list. I will check out the ballistics of all these rifles, also the 243. I have a 243 in the closet but I do not like that particular brand (model) rifle very much, the caliber is fine though. I hear there are some new Bar Rifles that are pretty darn accurate out of the box....
  Any more ideas are certainly welcome! Im already in the process of getting a scope for whatever Rifle it is in 4.5x14x40
Thanks!
JF
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 01:15
And yes the Scope is coming from SWFA
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 05:40
A .243 in a BAR would be the least recoil of any gun I can think of. The gas action helps a lot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 08:08

Just found this. And it comes in .243!  6lb 10oz also!

Edited by 300S&W - July/07/2009 at 08:10
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 09:06
.243 or .257 Roberts.  If you can get another BAR all the better.  Hopefully this keeps you hunting/shooting for many years to come.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 15:32
Personally, I like the .260 best then the .25-06.

Another grand cartridge to consider is the 6.5x55.....
BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 15:47
the guy's here helped me pick out a 7mm-08 for my dad, he has a pacemaker so I was looking for a light recoiling rifle as well. We chose a savage 16, I also found a few boxes of remmy low recoil loads witch make the light rifle kick like a 223.
We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 15:57
Originally posted by BayouBuck BayouBuck wrote:

the guy's here helped me pick out a 7mm-08 for my dad, he has a pacemaker so I was looking for a light recoiling rifle as well. We chose a savage 16, I also found a few boxes of remmy low recoil loads witch make the light rifle kick like a 223.
I totally forgot to mention the 7mm-08. It's a great all-around cartridge that performs very well on a wide range of game. It doesn't kick much, either!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 16:32
Im thinking Im gonna go with the 7mm-08 in a Kimber Stainless Classic. I would like a Bar but I would prefer a nice stainless rifle more. The one thing about the straight Kimber design is that recoil is not felt quite as much as some other designs..The Bar of course would be least amount of recoil. I think this rifle Kimber will be fine even though its very light. Also I can work up my own loads as well which will help even more...

I certainly appreciate all the help!
JF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic