OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Magnification and POI change ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnification and POI change ???
    Posted: July/05/2009 at 13:01

I just mounted a 2-7x32 bushnell elite 3200 on my marlin 308mx. i zeroed it at 100 yards on the highest mag setting (7). When i was in the red i went down to 3-4x and my shots were off paper. seemed about 6-8 inches low and 2-3 left. what do you guys think about this? not sure if this is average or if I should send scope back to get repaired.

Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 13:10
Something wrong for sure
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 13:29
Not a "normal" thing.  While I am not a GREAT fan of the 3200's, they are, generally, pretty reliable.  I would definitely send it back and expect 100% repair or replacement.  Cheaper model scopes can sometimes exhibit POI change with magnification change, but the Bushnell Elites have usually been pretty good.  

BTW, Welcome to the OT Forum.

Edited by Kickboxer - July/05/2009 at 13:30
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 14:00
If you haven't already, zoom it back to 7X and shoot it again. If it is still off, check the mounts before you send it in.
A change in POI this large is not normal.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 14:07
++... mounts could definitely be a problem and should be checked first.  Good catch, Tahqua.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 14:28
I had that happen once with a Tasco Silver Antler (not mine!): had a beautiful 10-point in the cross-hairs at 50 yards with a 45/70 breach-load.  The rifle was zeroed that day at 50- yards on 9X (controls were backwards: when the arrow said "up" it meant "down" - which should'a been a clue.)  My hunting buddy heard the shot and asked if he needed to bring up a 4-wheeler.  I said, "Clean miss", first time in my life I've had to say that on a hunt, he still gives me hell abouty it to this day.  Calls the deer "Barns" - Platoon, "Only one that kill Barns is Barns." "Someone talk'in about kill'in?"

So yea, some scopes have a significant POI shift depending on magnification, and it sucks.  Hard.  Send it back, get a scope that doesn't do that.

Had I heeded my own adivce, I'd have Barns mounted on my wall.  Only 2 ways to learn: experience and instruction.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 14:30
And in case you wanted to know, I would NOT recommend a Tasco Silver Antler to anyone but the Taliban or an insurgent.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 14:36
But that is only one instance... could be you just had a bad one and most of the others are just fine...

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 14:42
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
papa_bear View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 16:03
I put it back at 7 x and it was in the red. not the mounts. I am very disappointed as the 3200 had a very bright picture. atleast its not the middle of deer season!!!! I read somewhere they had a couple month turn around time. I certainly hope not. Also, their website says to include $10 for shipping . My registration card say they ship repairs back for free to CONUS. I guess i will have to give them a call. I might be going with a weaver or vortex.

Kickboxer.... why dont you like the 3200?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 19:03
Originally posted by papa_bear papa_bear wrote:

I put it back at 7 x and it was in the red. not the mounts. I am very disappointed as the 3200 had a very bright picture. atleast its not the middle of deer season!!!! I read somewhere they had a couple month turn around time. I certainly hope not. Also, their website says to include $10 for shipping . My registration card say they ship repairs back for free to CONUS. I guess i will have to give them a call. I might be going with a weaver or vortex.

In general. the 3200s are great scopes, maybe you got the lemon in the bunch, it happens.
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 19:11
Actually, not an uncommon occurence.  I have tested many of my scopes from low to high end and almost all exhibit some poi shift.  Generally, the best scopes, from the perspective of cost and what one would think is the best tend to do better, but not necessarily.  However, that being said, most shifts are relatively minor.  As you change the mag. adjustment, frequently, due to the linkage involved the erector tube can be shifted.  What you do not want to see is a change in the optics.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 22:19
Originally posted by papa_bear papa_bear wrote:

I just said I am not a GREAT fan... I believe Bushnell has "moved on" with the 4200 and 6500, better quality and the 4200 is near enough to the price of 3200 to make it a much better value.  Swift scopes are cheaper/same and I think they are better than the 3200.  If Rainguard is an issue for you, the 3200 might be a better choice than Swift (or several others), but I think the Swift is a better product all around.  I would not purchase one, but I would not throw it away if someone gave me one.  I would be very selective about what I used it for.  My opinion, based upon "hands on" experience with it and others near the price range is that the 3200 has limited utility.  4200 is a much better value.  

Edited by Kickboxer - July/05/2009 at 22:20

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 22:29
i like swift too, but i think vortex is even better. i played with a diamonback 3x9 last summer and it was an excellent scope for the money. vortex also has the lifetime replacement warranty like swift and sightron have.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 13:02
Originally posted by safariarms man safariarms man wrote:

Actually, not an uncommon occurence.  I have tested many of my scopes from low to high end and almost all exhibit some poi shift.  Generally, the best scopes, from the perspective of cost and what one would think is the best tend to do better, but not necessarily.  However, that being said, most shifts are relatively minor.  As you change the mag. adjustment, frequently, due to the linkage involved the erector tube can be shifted.  What you do not want to see is a change in the optics.

This is something I ALWAYS test for, when breaking in a new scope.  I have not experienced this with Zeiss, Premier, USO, or Swaro.  In truth, the only scope I've had deviate was the Silver Antler (not mine) and it deviated allot.

With what upper-level scopes have you seen this?  And what are we calling a deviation? 1/8MOA? 1MOA?

I know this is common with many mid- and lower-level scopes, but I have seen little about it with the top-tier stuff.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 15:46
two different topics being discussed here-- change of poi/poa due to the inherent nature of sfp scopes, and the possible change of poa due to the spring system in the erector, which may be affected by changes in the mag setting. If the second is the case, it will also be affected by the changes of poi/poa in sfp scopes and related to the magnification range. seperating out which will be affected by your scope is difficult. As an example there is a 3 inch lower of poi going from 12 to 2 power on my Z6, just at 100 yds. (280) and on a Diavari 6 x24 with a Z1000 reticle can actually watch the poa change with the change in  mag. at each power and even read the range settings out of the reticle.  Thus when zeroed at 500 yds, a 200 yd, target will be on at 24x and 200 yd, mark and on again at 6 power and the 450 yd setting. The better the scopes the easier it is to see the differences. Again as an example a 8x32 NF will poi/poa on 32x and 800yds on 17 moa dot and againg on 8x at about 9 moa.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic