OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SCOPES FOR HARD-KICKING RIFLES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 10:44
I have a Model 70 in 300 Wby that has been giving me fits and I'm thinking the scope could be the problem. It originally shot horizontal groups around 1 3/4" to 2 " which I figured was a bedding issue. After completely bedding a platsic stock and that didn't work, I installed a new laminated stock and completely bedded it. Still no cigar, I've screwed with this rifle till I'm blue in the face. As I think back, it had Leupolds on it at first and I went to other brands since while trying to improve this beast, but it has now gone to vertical stringing 3 inch groups with all loads. This gun kicks lick real bastage so maybe these variables are coming apart! If I find it is the scope I may just put on a good 6 power that really has good glass and is known for taking punishment. How bout the new FX-3?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 12:08
  This oughta work:

Can't try one of your old tried and true Leupolds to test out your rifle?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 12:37
I'm going to send off one of the Leo's for a refurbish as it has the friction adjustments and they are loose enough to turn without a coin. (was on my 340 Wby and shot well). I have a brand new 4200 I'll put on it to see. If it is the scope I will lose my faith in the brand I have on it! I will not bash the scope at all without real proof! If it is bad this will be the second of this brand to kick my azz and will be the last! (not a Bushnell). How could the Vari-X-II stand up to the 340 though, but it did and shot great groups! Most of the time I am hunting my scope is on 6 and stays there, I was just thinking the new Leupold fx-3 might be really clear and solid. The only thing I don't know is if it would be enough light early or late in the day as that's where I tuned the variables down.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 13:05
  I've read nothing but positive posts on Leupold 6x42's of all models.  Alot of guys have gone to it as an all-around scope with no mention of short comings.  Hopefully some will post for us.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 13:50
Why, why, why do Leupold offer the 4x33 with Duplex/Wide Duplex only......Roll Eyes

If this scope could be had with eighter a Heavy Duplex, or better still, a German #4, I would put one on top of my  375 Ruger tomorrow!

As many have mentioned, the low mag fixed scopes are great on heavy rifles.
But alas, so few to pick from, and if I find one like the Leupold 4x33, only the flimsy Duplex is available.

Stalking dense cover with dark shadows, shooting distances under 150 meters and perhaps moving game, a more bold reticle always give the edge compared to the thin Duplex imo.
Seawolf
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 17:11
Pretty sure you can go through the Leupold Custom Shop and get the reticle you are looking for.

Leupold Custom Shop
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 17:48
After first talking to John about hard kicking rifles I figured I should at that test to my regular regimen of scope abuse.  At first I though I'd get a 338Lapua of some sort since I am generally interested in long range shooting, but that is provign out to be an expensive project with very few suitable rifles available for the money I can spend.

I think I will end up buying a sporter weight 338Winmag or 375H&H instead.  Alternatively, I could send scope for testing to Kickboxer, but I am worried that even if his rifle does not break it, he will.   Decisions decisions....

I like Mausers, so the front runner for now is CZ American Safari Magnum in 375H&H.  Now I just need to figure out how to sneak another rifle in while my wife is not looking...

ILya
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 18:08
  If I were going to test scopes for relative durability against recoil, ("relative" in relation to how other scopes hold up), I would build some sort of a vertical fixture with a weighted  sliding carriage on which was fixed a Picatinny rail. Mount the scope to the rail with the objective end facing down,  pick it up and let the carriaige drop against a stop set in the concrete. Repeatedly. From various heights, etc.  And then, by reversing the position of the objective end, you could also see how it would hold up to the reciprocal recoil of Spring-piston airguns, and semi-auto bolt slam. It would save you a fortune in ammo costs, and time if you mechanized the system to work on tearing up the scope while you mowed your lawn or whatever.

Or you could just mount the scope to a jackhammer and make a few bucks on the side ripping up old parking lots!

Here Ye Here Ye
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 18:16
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

If I were going to test scopes for relative durability against recoil, ("relative" in relation to how other scopes hold up), I would build some sort of a vertical fixture with a weighted  sliding carriage on which was fixed a Picatinny rail. Mount the scope to the rail with the objective end facing down,  pick it up and let the carriaige drop against a stop set in the concrete. Repeatedly. From various heights, etc.  And then, by reversing the position of the objective end, you could also see how it would hold up to the reciprocal recoil of Spring-piston airguns, and semi-auto bolt slam. It would save you a fortune in ammo costs, and time if you mechanized the system to work on tearing up the scope while you mowed your lawn or whatever.

Or you could just mount the scope to a jackhammer and make a few bucks on the side ripping up old parking lots!

Here Ye Here Ye

That would be feasible of course, but I still think actually shooting the rifle is more fun.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 19:15
 What does fun have to do with it?
 You're a hard-working professional, Ilya. You're not supposed to have fun until the workday is OVER!

(You are right of course...and it gives you an excuse to buy a new rifle instead of a jackhammer!)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 20:58
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

After first talking to John about hard kicking rifles I figured I should at that test to my regular regimen of scope abuse.  At first I though I'd get a 338Lapua of some sort since I am generally interested in long range shooting, but that is provign out to be an expensive project with very few suitable rifles available for the money I can spend.

I think I will end up buying a sporter weight 338Winmag or 375H&H instead.  Alternatively, I could send scope for testing to Kickboxer, but I am worried that even if his rifle does not break it, he will.   Decisions decisions....

I like Mausers, so the front runner for now is CZ American Safari Magnum in 375H&H.  Now I just need to figure out how to sneak another rifle in while my wife is not looking...

ILya

ive got a .375H&H as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 22:21
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya
Taz will be good...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 03:30
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Pretty sure you can go through the Leupold Custom Shop and get the reticle you are looking for.

Leupold Custom Shop

I know I would, but I still feel that thy should offer a more bold reticle in such a scope in the first place.

Seawolf
wileykia2506 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileykia2506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 14:58
I don't have experience; but I know for a fact that the Bushnell Elite 3200 design is test proven to withstand 1000 rounds of recoil from a .375 H&H Mag; but even better than that; the Elite 4200 design is test proven to withstand 10,000 rounds of recoil from that punishing cartridge.  Weaver Scopes are made in the same facility(Light Optical Works, Japan); and they claim on their website that their fixed power K-series scopes are built to withstand 10,000 rounds of recoil from the .375 also. 

Great Article
davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 02:58
I'm with Seawolf on this one.

It blows my mind that the FX-3 6X42 isn't available with the German #4 reticle without going through the custom shop.
It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 22:56
Good article John, as usual.

The older Leupold 2.5-8x36. VX-III's held up on my .338 WM and .375 H&H as well.  I shot a lot of 275 Speer bullets in the .338 WM practicing for jungle hunting for Roosevelt elk on the Olympic Peninsula.  They must be rugged scopes, especially for a variable.  Low mass=low inertia, plus strong construction.  It is too bad that all these hunters use the FX-3, 6x42 Leupold and they don't offer the German #4 reticle.  I guess they are too busy "refraction matching" lenses.
CDR3
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 23:51
I have a light weight .375 H& H  Encore stainless with Leupold dual dovetail rings with a Leupold FX3 6x42  Heavy Duplex on top,   and it  works very nicely and is light enough to carry hunting all day.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Deadly Tedly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadly Tedly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 09:50
Anyone know anything about the Barska 6-24x60 Swat Extreme Tactical 30mm Scope? Do you think it will hold up to a 50BMG?

Thanks
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 10:04
Originally posted by Deadly Tedly Deadly Tedly wrote:

Anyone know anything about the Barska 6-24x60 Swat Extreme Tactical 30mm Scope? Do you think it will hold up to a 50BMG?

Thanks

If the question is about "durability" the answer is rarely, if ever, Barska. Wink
Your money would be much better spent on a Super Sniper, IMHO.
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2009 at 15:31
Even with a muzzlebrake, I have doubts that Barska would stand up to a .50BMG.  I've seen rapid failures on far "lesser" weapons.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic