OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Celestron Regal F-ED spotter impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celestron Regal F-ED spotter impressions
    Posted: July/03/2009 at 07:48
   At a BR match last weekend, a good pal of mine had a new Celestron Regal F-ED 16-48X65mm spotter. Since he was shooting on the bench to my right, I had some time during Fridays practice sessions to look through it and get some general impressions.

Great color resolution, razor sharp images, wide 'sweet spot' for focusing, more than ample eye relief (even with glasses), smooth adjustments.

In the fading light I went between it, my Bushnell Excursion FLP and a Leupold 12-40X60 non HD spotter looking at .30 cal. bullet holes in the black at 200 yds. targets.  All three scopes gave excellent resolution.

I've been impressed by the higher end Celestron optics and this spotter was no exception. I own a Celestron 8X56 Ultima binoc. that I've used hard Shocked  for 7-8 seasons glassing fox and coyotes is what led me to appreciate the Celestron line of optics.

The increasing optical quality of many mfgs. mid-price products  is really impressive. In fact, the best optical buys out there might well be the mid-priced stuff. They benefit from the technical 'trickle down' effect from the higher end offerings while being a quantum leap foward from the lower end stuff.

Just some thoughts as I pour my second cup of Silhouwesi.......Smile   -Al

Edited by Al Nyhus - July/04/2009 at 06:49
"Marsupials scare me".
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 08:57
Thanks Al, I always learn something from your posts.  I take it your impressed with the FLP from Bushnell also?  
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2009 at 06:50
   JGRaider: I am.    I posted a bit about it on your thread, also.

Thanks for the nice comments. Smile  -Al
"Marsupials scare me".
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 21:26
I had heard a few comments earlier in the year about this scope and the recent mention of it on this forum finally pushed me into pulling the trigger on one. It arrived today and I wasted no time setting it up on one of my tripods to compare it directly to my Pentax 65 ED A and my Promaster Infinity Elite ED 65 spotting scopes. For those of you not familiar with any of these scopes they are rather unique in that they accept any standard 1.25 astro eyepieces. This makes them exceptionally versatile as the options are practically endless.

I have been using the Pentax 65 for about three years now with a variety of eyepieces. There are several that I would recommend but I eventually settled on using an inexpensive Orion zoom eyepiece coupled with the Pentax XW 20 mm eyepiece as my "combination" for this scope. With this combination I feel as if I have all my bases covered. I use the scope primarily with the XW 20 particularly for my hawkwatching excursions. The superb optical performance of this combination rivals anything I have had the pleasure to look through. I have a hard time imagining anything better optically that is, until now.

The Promaster ED 65 is a scope I picked up about a month ago to serve as a backup to the Pentax. It comes with an unusually wide zoom eyepiece that is possibly a clone to the highly regarded Baader Hyperion zoom. Optical performance for this scope is in many ways comparable with the Pentax in terms of its color fringing control, brightness, apparent sharpness and overall compact nature. Actually, it is a bit more compact than the Pentax if you can believe it. I have been using it with the zoom quite a bit over the last few weeks.

The Celestron enters the picture because of the recent discussion on whether or not this scope actually has an APO objective that utilizes Fluorite crystal in the design. From what I have read on a variety of internet forums this is only found on a few scopes currently on the market and nothing close to the price range that the Celestron falls into. So, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and ordered one.

Hmm, I am not sure where to start....

Physically the scope is larger and heavier than either the Promaster or the Pentax. You can look up the exact numbers if you like but I will try to take a picture of the three scopes side by side so you can at least see the physical size difference.

Overall fit and finish of the Celestron is excellent. The dual focusing knob is extremely precise and has a very solid feel to it. The zoom collar on the eyepiece is arguably the smoothest I have ever had the privelege of using. Everything about the scope seems to reflect alot of thought and effort went into the design.

Optically the scope is brilliant. The image is extremely sharp, bright and has, arguably, the best contrast of any binocular or spotting scope I have looked through or used. Chromatic Aberration is very well controlled. In fact I have yet to detect any in the variety of situations I have placed the scope in...and at any of the magnifications within the zoom range. Speaking of which, even at maximum zoom the image is still very clear, very sharp and filled with color. I get very little of the "dim, high magnification image" that I have found on just about any other scope. This image very much rivals the lower magnification setting. Impressive indeed! There were actually one or two occasions when I left the scope on maximum zoom and walked away from it. When I came back and went to find something in the eyepiece I actually forget that I had it at the highest setting!

Comparing the three scopes at their lowest power setting reveals very similar images. The Pentax with the XW 20 mm eyepiece provides a very color neutral image. The Promaster ED has a slightly warm color bias that I am finding quite often on the lower-priced ED glass. The Celestron has something between a neutral bias to an almost "blue-green" much like that of the Zeiss FL series of binoculars. At the higher magnification setting there is no comparison between either of the other two scopes and the Celestron.

The Celestron's brightness seems to be about at the same level as the Pentax and better than the Promaster. Apparent sharpness seems to be equal between the Pentax and the Celestron with maybe a slight nod going to the Celestron. The contrast level though is where the Celestron really seems to have it together. In my humble opinion the Celestron beats the Pentax 65 ED even with the XW 20 mm eyepiece. The contrast difference in noticeable in just about any application I put it into. I really don't have the words for it as I thought the Pentax with the XW 20 was just about as good as it gets. The fact that the Celestron betters it speaks volumnes for the optical performance of this scope.

Some other comments....

...the field of view with the included Celestron zoom is respectable. It is better than the average zoom eyepiece (by direct comparison) but a bit narrower at all magnification settings than the Baader Hyperion clone on the Promaster. The plus side though is that the edge sharpness is very good. Better than the Promaster and nearly as good as the XW 20 on the Pentax.

With the 1.25 inch eyepiece capability of the Celestron I decided to try the Pentax XW 20 mm eyepiece on it. The image is excellent and entirely comparable with the XW 20 in the Pentax 65 scope with one key exception. Something in the Celestron scope blocks the bottom 10% of the image. It is strange. The obstruction is a straight line, almost gray in color if I had to lay an impression on it, over the very bottom of the field of view. I don't run into this issue with other 1.25 inch eyepieces that I have on hand so I must assume it is something to do with the nature of the XW's design. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Now the real beauty of this scope is the price. This scope regularly retails between $420-$500 depending on where you purchase it. For this type of optical performance, quality level and adjustability I cannot think of a better bargain out there right now.

The 80 mm version, which I also plan to review, retails for right between $575-$650. I will report on it once I get to take a peek through one.

Two big thumbs up on this scope gentlemen!
Frank
cronscript View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronscript Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2010 at 15:18
I just purchased a Celestron Regal F-ED 80.  Comparing it to a Kowa TSN-601 with the 20-40 zoom eyepiece, the Celestron is clearly superior.  The resolution of the Celestron is better than the Kowa, as is the sharpness, contrast and color saturation.

The Kowa 20-40 zoom eyepiece is not a very good eyepiece, so this isn't exactly a fair comparison.  However, the Celestron still looks very good a 60X, while the Kowa is rather dim above about 35x.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 20:05
FrankD,

Your evaluation has me intrigued.  I used to have a Pentax PF 65EDA, and I really liked the performance, although the tiny exit pupil at 60x in the XF Zoom was a bit of a hindrance in low light.  If the Regal competes so favorably at its price point, I might have to find one as a backup to the Vortex Razor HD.

I checked the Celestron website and they claim the Regal ED series has an air-spaced doublet objective utilizing a flourite crystal lens.  At that pricepoint that is pretty amazing.

Any concerns about the flourite being brittle?
-Matt
Waskawood1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waskawood1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 07:49
Anyone have any more thoughts on the Regal line of scopes? It sounds like a "too good to be true" scope.
Waska
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic