OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good all around Rifle Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good all around Rifle Scope?
    Posted: July/02/2009 at 13:35
I've finally taken an interest in getting a hunting rifle of my own. The rifle i will be purchasing looks like it will be a new 2009 Savage 111FCNS 30-06. I love the feel of the Accutrigger and I've heard good things about the new Accustock.

The thing is, i don't have a huge budget for a scope. I want one that is good for deer hunting in mainly thickly wooded areas and long range shooting as well.
The big thing is, I'd like to keep the cost around $200.
So far I've looked at Millett, Konus, Bushnell and Simmons scopes. I haven't found much info on Millett or Konus, though i did find a few Millett reviews that praised the Buck Gold and Tactical Series.

I'm new to all of this, so if there is anything else i should clarify, let me know.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 14:51
You're limited by your budget but there is hope. Now if it were me I'd bite the bullet, save a bit more, and spring for a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3-9x40. But if you can't swing that then I'd look at a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3-9x40, or maybe a Weaver V10. 

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 323944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Fast Focus
$199.95
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849405
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$179.95

I can't vouch for a Bushnell Legend because I haven't used one but if you want more power I'd give one a look.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Mike_F View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:03
Yeah i've realized there is no point in skimping on optics so I'll bump up my price range to about 3-400.
That should buy me a quality hunting scope shouldn't it?
Mike_F View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:07
How are the Leupold VX-I riflescopes?
$230 seems like a decent price
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:16
That $299 3-9x40 Bushnell 4200 is a very good scope. I'm also a big fan of the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32. Or if you can live with a BDC reticle the Nikon Team Primos. I own the Monarch and a couple of Primos and they are a lot of scope for the money. I think you'd be be a lot happier with any of these three.  These three are a or two step up in optical quality from the VX1.

Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95

Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8437
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
$289.95
Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope
Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope
Stock # - 8435
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Team Primos
$219.95

Edited by sholling - July/02/2009 at 15:20
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Mike_F View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:21
BDC reticle is no problem, that Team Primos looks like a good buy.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $80 the Bushnell 4200?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:36
Originally posted by Mike_F Mike_F wrote:

BDC reticle is no problem, that Team Primos looks like a good buy.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $80 the Bushnell 4200?
Personally I like the BDC reticle but not everyone does. I own a couple of 4200s but not the 3-9x40 so I'll let someone else answer that. The 4200s that I have are pretty darn good.

Of the two Nikons I like the 2-8x32 a bit better and it's available with a multi-x or BDC reticle. It just a tad sharper than the Primos, but the Primos still rocks. Both are on the short side and you'll note in the photos that they are just barely long enough for a long action rifle.

This is the Team Primos on a Tikka T3 Lite.

TOP is a 2-8x32 Monarch on a Howa Youth in 308. Bottom is a Team Primos on a Howa M1500 in 30-06.

A close up of the little Monarch.

Edited by sholling - July/02/2009 at 15:36

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:42
  I've been wondering about scope tube length and that Savage long action. Be nice if someone could give us an outside to outside ring measurement on one.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:43
Sweet Rigs Sholling. Thunbs Up  I too, would look for a Bushy or the Nikon.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I've been wondering about scope tube length and that Savage long action. Be nice if someone could give us an outside to outside ring measurement on one.

The little Monarch might be a challenge but I think the Team Primos will fit. I'll be close, but it should. I have a Burris Signature Select on my 300WM and it leaves a lot of adjustment. In my opinion it's a step up from the Team Primos.

Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope
Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200560
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
$459.95

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by Mike_F Mike_F wrote:

How are the Leupold VX-I riflescopes?
$230 seems like a decent price

Nice warrenty and you can get the reticles changed.  The glass is not up to the ones mentioned.  Don't go below a VX-II
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:10
The tube length on the team primos was a tad short for my 270 win vanguard.  I had to use offset bases.  Otherwise, I love the scope.Big Smile

Edited by ckk1106 - July/02/2009 at 20:19
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:36
You said "hunting rifle".  Nothing wrong with any of the suggestions so far, but don't rule out the Swift Premier.  It is an excellent value.  Very good glass with good low light performance, very durable, repeatability is all you can ask for, positive "clicks", and a fantastic warranty.  Give it a look.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:51
nevermind.
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 21:33
I also wouldn't rule out the Burris Fullfield II. In my experience ( a bunch of them) they are tough, surprisingly good optically, with decent eye relief and enough tube length to make mounting easy.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 21:38
I've heard a lot good about the Fullfield's but have no recent experience with them.  I need to give them a try.  That recommendation comes at a good time... I am looking for a replacement scope for my 7mmMag.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 00:04
I have both the FFII and the Bushnell 4200.  I would say the 4200 is a little better optically, but the FFII is more durable and I like the Ballistic-plex reticle Burris offers.  Worth looking at the FFII.  It also has plenty of room for mounting.  I had it on my 300 WM for a while with no problems.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Mike_F View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 00:44
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You said "hunting rifle".  Nothing wrong with any of the suggestions so far, but don't rule out the Swift Premier.  It is an excellent value.  Very good glass with good low light performance, very durable, repeatability is all you can ask for, positive "clicks", and a fantastic warranty.  Give it a look.

Those Swifts do look damn nice, good price and durability is definitely a big factor.
If the optics are near the Bushnell's i think I'm sold on these.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions everyone, this site has been extremely helpful!
Now I should go look up more reviews of all these scopes and weigh my options.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 12:22
Quote I would say the 4200 is a little better optically, but the FFII is more durable and I like the Ballistic-plex reticle Burris offers.

You really think the FFII is more durable Helo?  I've only handled the FFII and 4200 at the the store.  Both seem well made, the finish on the FFII seemed like it might scratch easier but other than that, I've read great things on both scopes.  Interesting.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 12:27
2.5-8x36 VX3
2-8x32 Nikon Monarch
3-9x40 Elite 4200

From $289 to the $400 price range, either of those three imo, would be the best choices for your `06 Savage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic