OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR vs Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardcase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR vs Nikon
    Posted: June/06/2005 at 07:18
I'm looking for a good fixed 4x scope.I'm thinking about the IOR 4x.How does it compare to the 4x Nikon.Looking at your scope rating from a previous post,it seems the IOR would be the best.Is this a correct assumption?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 08:54
The IOR 4x is better than the comparable Nikon.   IOR makes excellent scopes, they are one of the best values we have.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 13:12

I'd take IOR over the Nikon as well.  Which 4x scope are you talking about?  IOR makes a 4x32 Hunting model with one inch tube and a 4x24 tactical with 30mm tube.  Both are excellent optically (I;ve used a 4x32 and I won a 4x24M1) but have different mechanical design.  What kind of a rifle is this going on?  What caliber? 4x24 is available with cams for 223 or 308 bullet drop compensator and a couple of different reticles.  However, 4x24 has less eye relief, so if you plan to put it on a hunting rifle with significant kick, 4x32 hunting model might be a better way to go.

Ilya

hardcase View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardcase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 14:22
I'll be using a30/06 with the 4x.Probably the 4x32 will be my best bet.It's my do everything rifle.Got others with variables on 'em,I want to keep this one simple.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 14:28

A Hunting style IOR 4x32 should work fine for you then.  It has excellent glass and holds up quite well under recoil.

Eye relief, if I remember correctly, is about 3.5"-4" which is perfectly sufficient for a 30-06.

Ilya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 15:05

Eye relief on an IOR is not too hot.

I have had 2 IOR's, on one .300 Win mag, and got "bit" several times.

The Zeiss Conquest has a 4" fixed ER, and would be my choice over the other 2.

I'd probably go with the Nikon over the IOR, but that's me. I'm not a big IOR guy anymore. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 15:52

Val at Valdada is continuously changing and upgrading the product.  What ever issues you may have had, likely no longer exist.  Great guy and great company.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 17:35

Chris, while we are talking about Valdada.  I have a 42x24M1 scope with BDC turrets for 308.  Do you know if it is possible to buy BDC turrets for 223 for this scope?  Can you get them or should I contact Val directly?

Thanks.

Ilya

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 15:14

If you are looking for the best nikons ( nonarch gold or monarch) this scopes are in the same quality step than IOR.

Cheaper nikon (like buckmasters) are lower quality than IOR.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 15:31
Originally posted by ots03 ots03 wrote:

Cheaper nikon (like buckmasters) are lower quality than IOR.

Well, it's also half the price of an IOR.

I don't know if I believe that an IOR is better than a BM or not.

I never had my BM smack me in the eye, even while mounted on my .300 RUM. 

IOR got me(and others)more than once on a .300 Win Mag. 

Theres more to a scope than "good glass".

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 15:51
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Theres more to a scope than "good glass".

Very true and not talked about much.  Construction, eye relief, field of view, adjustment range and features are often over looked when comparing scopes.

David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 16:40

Koshkin,

Just got off the phone with Val, and he indicated that if you want a BDC for .223, you will have to get the M2.

Sorry, they can not be interchanged.

Dave

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 16:50

M2 meaning, the whole scope?

Just my luck.

Thanks, David.

Ilya

David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 16:53
Yes, unfortunately so.
holzauge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holzauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2005 at 15:11

For either destination one has to change planes in Atlanta.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2005 at 13:22
.....alrighty then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic