OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TOMORROW... FINALLY HERE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:32
  $.04 for a CCI 250 primer, $.14 of Varget powder, $.22 for an A-Max bullet. $.035 for Lapua brass average @ 15 reloads. Total $.435 a piece.  So you are close, but this match ammo is dialed to my rifle and at $8.70 for a 20 round box you can shoot a lot and put gas in your truck.   But I will Concede the "COOL FACTOR"  is priceless!!!!!!!!  Thunbs Up

edited: for slight correction.

Edited by Steelbenz - July/02/2009 at 15:37
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:37

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

$.04 for a CCI 250 primer, $.14 of Varget powder, $.22 for an A-Max bullet. $.035 for Lapua brass average @ 15 reloads. Total $.435 a piece.  So you are close, but this match ammo is dialed to my rifle and at $8.70 for a 20 round box you can shoot a lot and put gas in your truck.   But I will Concede the "COOL FACTOR"  is priceless!!!!!!!!  Thunbs Up

edited: for slight correction.

Tazmanian Devil... a slobbering, snarling party animal with a taste for destruction and food...

I tend more to think of it like this... with one $5.20 round, I can turn your $30,000.00 truck into a worthless hunk of burning metal from over 1.5miles...

I was headed the door with my newly acquired ammo and the "Squeezer Special .50", and my wife said.  "SOOOOO, you are going to go to the range and shoot that TOOODAAAAYYYYYY??????????????????????????????????

We went to Huntsville shopping...

I did get to take a picture for comparison  699gr .50BMG, 500gr 458 Lott, 140gr 7mmSTW, 510 gr .458 WinMag.  My four favorite rifle calibers...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:44
KB there is something seriously wrong with you. Have you sought counseling for thisself abuse fetish of yours.Big Grin
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:46
   Went SHOPPING hmmmmm?   Whistling

NICE collection there!!  Thunbs Up
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:53
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Tazmanian Devil... a slobbering, snarling party animal with a taste for destruction and food...

I tend more to think of it like this... with one $5.20 round, I can turn your $30,000.00 truck into a worthless hunk of burning metal from over 1.5miles...

I was headed the door with my newly acquired ammo and the "Squeezer Special .50", and my wife said.  "SOOOOO, you are going to go to the range and shoot that TOOODAAAAYYYYYY??????????????????????????????????

We went to Huntsville shopping...

Yeeeesssssssss Dear..................................    Roll on Floor Laughing

trust me, I KNOW your pain!!!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Hey Dan,
If your in town on the 11th there is a rifle match in Hoover at Steel City.
 http://www.scssa.org/600-yard_rifle.htm

Sorry 50's are not allowed.  The berms just can't take that kind of punishment.
Steel, my daughter is leaving for Europe on the 12th and we have a "day out" planned on the 11th.  I have to be with her.  I would love to shoot in one of these.  Remind me again.  This looks like a fun thing to do with 1) .243, 2) 30-06BAR, 3) 7mmSTW.  
Vr,
Dan

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:10
Wish her well for me, I will need more than a day when my little girl goes back to college so I know what your going through there.  Tell her Gods speed and stay safe.

Edited by Steelbenz - July/02/2009 at 20:10
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:17
Thank you.  I will give her your well wishes.  
I got the BMG to shoot in Yuma, because I will be there more than here for quite a while.  I got a call from an old associate today wanting me to reassume some old duties from the past.  We are going to talk a week from tomorrow.  If I take it, will probably be gone even more.  The "gone" part is not so good, but the work is wonderful.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:31
If you look at the pictures of the BMG you will notice that the mount is quite tall.  It is fortunate that my wife wanted me to stay with her today, I would have been unable to shoot, probably.  I often boresight at the range and intended to do so.  Since we went to town shopping I decided to boresight for tomorrow.  I can't even SEE the boresighter with this configuration.  Also, the rifle is a bolt action "bull pup" type design.  Can't remove the bolt and sight down the bore (without disassembling the rifle).  This one is outside my experience.  Any suggestions on how to get this thing sighted in?  I'm thinking a 4x8 piece of plywood at 25 yards may be my best bet.  Any suggestions guys?  The only thing I'm confident of at this point is that it is probably not going to shoot low... 
I am going to contact the gunmaker tomorrow, but if you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them.  

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:34
how about a dental mirror in the bore?  Maybe you could look down the tube that way?  Just thinking outside the box with my mouth open here.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:35
with the bolt all the way back it should fit in the chamber rather nicely!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 21:06
Dude... I don't HAVE a dental mirror...

I'll try a couple of shots at a 4x8 first... at least I get to DESTROY something that way.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 23:35
With a bolt that long, and a bore that big, you ought to be able to put the bathroom mirror in there. 

Maybe if you laid a laser pointer in there it would be flat enough to let you bore sight at 25 yards with out have to spend $25 just to see where it hits.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 10:06
 Lacking a laser, you could also run a length of  stout fishline through the barrel from the muzzle, run it through an EMPTY de-primed  case and knot it off in the primer pocket. Then chamber it.
 With the gun in a Leadsled or gun vise, pull the line tight out to 100 yards or so and set your crosshairs to that point. You'd need a helper, (Wife?) to help keep things secure on the bench and keep the fishline centered in the muzzle. (The empty case would keep it centered at the chamber end, but lacking that, you might be able to remove the firing pin and run the line through the bolt itself, (depending on the hassle factor.)

It would get you pretty close, and you COULD even do it at 25 yards if you felt too lazy to walk 100!
 With the high bases/rings, 100 would be a bit better, though.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 13:10
Thanks guys.  Ron, I'll try that out.  Sounds like a good approach.  

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 14:51
A laser would be my first bet; without a laser, I'd go with the 4x8 at 25 yards and hope the $5.20 serves you well.

And whomoever said $0.14 of Varget obviously wasn't talking about reloading a .50cal round.

Back in my .50cal days, I prefered the 750-gr DUs or a guy I knew would lathe-turn 70-0-gr. BTHPs that were the nuts.

Have fun with it.  And if you ever light one off without hearing protection, no worry, you'll never need it (hearing protection) again.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 18:15
I've shot them a number of times, just never had one in my very own gun safe before.  I actually like the 775gr, but couldn't get any of those on short notice.  

So, I was headed out the door, Squeezer Special 50 and two boxes of 669gr ammo in my hands and SHE said "So... (pregnant PAUSE) ... where are YOOOUUUUUUuuu gooiiinng?  I thought you were going to MOW today...".  

I've been mowing all day, good thing I like to mow.  However the DR quit running... I think it was tired.  So I finished the front, back and hill with a weedeater.  My hands are still vibrating.  

I was going to smoke a Cohiba, but at the last second chose a HAWG.  

Maybe tomorrow...   However, I understand that some sins are never paid for...

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And whomoever said $0.14 of Varget obviously wasn't talking about reloading a .50cal round.

$0.14 of Varget works wonders in a .308.  I don't think it would get that 669gr out of the tube of that .50. Well maybe!!!   LOL
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 23:42
Yea, it's only an 18inch barrel...  Should make it out, maybe. 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 15:15
Well, kind of in a holding pattern here... I tried to boresight with a laser and the laser diffused too much to get an image I could try to focus on.  I am building a fixture for the laser in the barrel.  Try, try, try again...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic