OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

short notice please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: short notice please help!
    Posted: June/05/2005 at 01:00
im 16 and getting ready to purchase my first center fire rifle, a Remington 700 VS in 22-250.  i have been wanting a long range (200-500 yards in my case) varmint rifle and now that i have finally decided on which rifle to buy and saved up the money for it i can't decide on what scope to put on it!  im a very picky person and i HATE cheap "stuff" that wont hold up and do what it was meant for.  i've searched every store online and offline trying to decide what scope i want but i just cant pick one.  i have this little problem with wanting a lot of magnification and i cant really bring myself to go less then 16X but a local outfitter store has Burris Fullfield ll 4.5-14X42 ballistic plex scopes on sale for $270.00 and as far as i can tell that is a killer price.  this is the same place that i am getting the rifle at and they would be able to set-up the entire rig for me and bore site it.  i was planing on putting either a Tasco SS16X42, Nikon 6.5-20X44, Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 w/ mil-dot, or  Burris 6.5-20X42 Fullfield ll with ballistic mil-dot on it but its driving me insane on which to pick.  i want a scope that is extremely realibale/repeatable when adjusting for windage and elavation and something that will hold up well. my price range is  no more then  $450.00 and  that is really pushing it, i'd rather it be under $350.00.  i was almost set on the SS16X42 untill i found the deal on the Burris.  please help! 

this is very short notice, i didnt even think about posting on here untill 2day and im probably going to be getting the rifle tomorrow (june 5th) or within the next couple of days.

thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Edited by SharpShooter
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2005 at 19:45
SS i have a 4.5-14X Burris with Ball/ Plex reticle/target turrets on top of a custom AR in .223 AI, and have found it accurate and repeatable. That scope should be just fine for long-range work, especially if u're just going out to 500 +/-. The ball. plex reticle is a good ball. reticle to start out with if u're just beginning to apply "tactical" techniques afield in the pursuit of game. Besides the plex it is the simplest and least complicated ballistic reticle to use, practice with, and learn. If u have any other questions regarding the scope and it's application this is a good place for them. Good luck.
Steve
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2005 at 20:46

Welcome to OT.

My opinion, get the Nikon Buckmaster. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
chuckkilla View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2005 at 21:10
I have both the Nikon 6.5-20 and the bushnell 6-24. Both are good scopes but I like the Monarch more because of its more compact size and the large and repeatable turrets. Check out the thread two below this one. It has a picture of a 223 vs with a monarch. I like the setup very much and Im sure you would to.
SharpShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2005 at 21:29
i did look at the post below and i have gave the Nikon 6.5-20 a very serious look.  i love the way the scope looks and in person they seem very nice.  however i have not seen many reviews on them and dont know exactly how realiable the adjustments are?  i want a scope that i can count on EVERY time when making windage and elavation adjustments.  i also like the oversized turrets a lot and the scope looks really nice on your rifle.  what reticle do you have on your Monarch and how much did u save with the price match?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 06:32

Sorry gentlemen, I meant the Nikon Monarch, not Buckmaster.

The BM's not a bad buy though.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 15:40
The VS my Monarch sits on is a .5 gun @100 yds. I can put 3 or five holes in the exact center of a target with it. I have cranked the adjustments up and down to get back and forth from various distances. Never once yet has the scope failed to come back to zero. Nikon has a lifetime warranty, if for some reason it will not perform as advirtised you can get it repaired. I have not abused this setup but I have used it and I has not changed settings on me unless I do so. The adjustments are also exact. Mine are 1/8 or very very close as I would expect. 8 clicks gets me 1 inch at 100 yds. Believe me, you will not be disapointed with a monarch. The glass is good and the adjustments are a solid thunk, thunk, thunk as you go.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 15:43
Here is another image for you.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 19:53
Well you've really helped me out a lot guys, especially you chuckkilla thanks a lot to all of you.  I bought the gun today for $510 and im going to put the Monarch on it for about $400 but ill have to wait for them to get the scope in and i need to save up a little more $$$ before that happens.  I talked to the guys there about getting a job and if i'm lucky it might happen.  They are very nice people and very well priced.  Check em out at www.woodburyoutfitters.com

Again thanks for all the help, ill post pics sometime after i finally get it set up!

Edited by SharpShooter
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 23:54
Also another consideration since i havent purchased the scope yet, what about the new 6-18 Buckmaster with the side focus? 

Edited by SharpShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 05:58

Originally posted by SharpShooter SharpShooter wrote:

Also another consideration since i havent purchased the scope yet, what about the new 6-18 Buckmaster with the side focus? 

The guys at Nikon have upgraded the BM line to a very good scope for the money.

It lacks some of the Monarchs optics features, but not by very much.

I think you would be well served with either.

David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 15:41

no more then  $450.00 and  that is really pushing it, i'd rather it be under $350.00. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Weaver grand Slam.  I feel like they are compatible with the other brands mentioned, and more affordable, because there is not a big premium on the their name.

I bet if Mercedes-Benz made a scope, everybody would think it was the best.

Weaver 6-20X40 G.S.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 16:03
I considered the Buckmaster as well but the curved looks turned me off to the scope rather quickly. The sunshade and the objective arent a flush fit as my monarch is. I have looked through one and the sidefocus seemed like a nice feature. The glass was good. As was stated earlier either would work well for your gun. I picked the monarch because I got a few more powers, the look I wanted, and slightly better light transmision and clarity. As for the GS series, the turrets were to small for my tastes and it dosen't come with a sunshade. They do have the micro track 4 adjustments however. I have used a V-16 very extensively and liked it but i have not used, only looked through a grand slam.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 16:06
Btw: My scope has a nikoplex reticle, it has worked very good out to 240 (the farthest I can shoot until I find a longer range), as for how much I saved, I saved the majority of a c-note but I don't care to give the exact amount.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 17:19
It's going to be about a week maybe two before i can get the scope so im going to throw in another choice that I have thought about but didn't mention.

Leupold VX-ll 6-18x40 Fine Duplex

Sorry about all the questions on scopes, I'm just trying to find the best value of a scope in my budget.
Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2005 at 17:26

It's going to be about a week maybe two before i can get the scope so im going to throw in another choice that I have thought about but didn't mention.

Leupold VX-ll 6-18x40 Fine Duplex

Sorry about all the questions on scopes, I'm just trying to find the best value of a scope in my budget.
Thanks

I still think the Monarch would beat the VX-II, FWIW.

I like the Niko-Plex reticle that Nikon offers better than the Loopy reticle, but thats me. 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2005 at 16:21
The nikon is a better scope than the VX-II even with the target turrets. Remember, the monarch is nikons top o the line model, the VX-II is a midrange for leupold. Many including myself believe the Monarch and VX-III are similar in quality.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2005 at 20:40
I agree that the Nikon Monarch and Leupold VX-III are very similar in quality. The Nikon can be had for a little less money though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic