OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone peeked through New Leica 82MM Spotter???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone peeked through New Leica 82MM Spotter???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhtravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone peeked through New Leica 82MM Spotter???
    Posted: June/29/2009 at 21:09
I am dying to know what they are like, and am hoping someone has compared one to a Swaro or Zeiss. Nothing like good glass. Yeah Baby, I think I want one
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 21:42

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 00:13
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Yeah, no kidding!!!

Mhtravis, have you priced one of these scopes?!!!  You might change your mind after you do!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mhtravis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhtravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 08:49
RifleDude
Yeah, first thing I did was price them.  It is a big sum for sure, but it could be worth it depending on how good the glass is.  Price is all relative - a guy happy with a Bushnell 50mm would probably think my Zeiss 85mm spotter was a huge waste of money. 

The Zeiss was the best choice for me a few years ago (see http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5766), but I knew at the time that Leica had that increased sharpness my Zeiss will never have.  I would have bought a Leica back then but for several factors that I wrote about in that writeup.  The new design sure addressed all my dislikes - more light gathering - lighter - shorter - and they got rid of the shiny exterior.  Would I pay extra to get that scope?  Heck yeah if the glass is outstanding.  Good glass will last a fella all his life and give him pleasure each time he looks through it. 

I figure I have 10 seasons left in me where I can still hump the hills lugging a spotter. Thats
$400 a season.  Peanuts compared to the other costs of hunting. This kind of math is important to know when explaining such a purchase to the mop squeezer. 
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 09:05

I admire your heroism and taste in glass mhtravis!

If I bought one of those my wife would be squeezing something other than the mop (hard)!
Good luck with it if you buy one sounds great, and we will need a full report.

God save the Empire!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 11:08
I can't imagaine how the view in this new Leica spotter could top the Kowa Prominar 883/884, considered by birders and benchrest guys to be the best in the world bar none.   The only review of the Leica was in the latest Outdoor Life I think. 
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by mhtravis mhtravis wrote:

I figure I have 10 seasons left in me where I can still hump the hills lugging a spotter. Thats
$400 a season.  Peanuts compared to the other costs of hunting. This kind of math is important to know when explaining such a purchase to the mop squeezer. 

Most of 'em still don't understand (altho' have no problem justifying new carpet or a couch). But I get your rationale perfectly. Within reason, given how long you have and how long quality equipment can last vs. the cheap stuff, it makes sense to have the best you can afford. No matter what, good glass is far more enjoyable, no matter how much or how little you use it.
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 15:44
Friend of mine had a gun shop a couple of years ago. He had and carried Leica spotting scopes. I checked one out one day and was very impressed, some of the best glass I ever looked through. When he told me the price I figured the only way I was ever going to own one was to win the lottery, or steal one, and I'm no theif.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 15:46
No comprehensive list of high-quality spotters is complete without this bad-boy!

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-20-60x72-Tactical-Spotting-Scope-P41081.aspx

No "hands on" time yet, but I am hopeful!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 16:12
Shocked$$$$  It's out of my league.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 17:07
Mine too, but maybe I'll play the lottery (previously referred to as, "a tax on the stupid") in the hopes of winning the new American Dream!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic