OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binocular Recommendation Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binocular Recommendation Needed
    Posted: June/04/2005 at 11:58

First, I purchased a set of Pentax 8x40 PCF WP binocs from SWFA a couple of years ago and have been adequately satisfied with the performance (actually, very satisfied considering the cost) while pursuing  Eastern U.S. whitetail.  I have an opportunity this year to go to Wyoming in pursuit of elk and would like to "step up" the quality of my optics. 

This may open a Chevy versus Ford versus Toyota  discussion; nonetheless, I am looking for a recomendation for a set of 8x40 or similar binocs in the less than $1000 range.  I wear glasses so relief is a consideration.  Use will be primarily hunting.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2005 at 12:55

I've been doing the research on just this thing, though mostly my binocs will be for birding.  However, any good birding optic will function great for hunting as well.  Here are my top 4 choices:

http://www.optics4birding.com/RevAudubonEquinoxHP.aspx

Very good price, great reviews - but not as great as the next one.

http://www.optics4birding.com/audubon8.5x44-820ed-binoculars -298.html

Again, great price, great reviews - but then there are:

http://www.optics4birding.com/RevPentaxDCFSP.aspx

I keep coming back to these for a number of reasons - I like Pentax, I can find these for around $450, and they are highly rated and work for my situation (great close focus, generous eye relief since I wear glasses).

Finally, the penultimate:

http://www.optics4birding.com/RevNikonVenturerLX8x42.aspx

True, about $1000 or so, but I've heard that the glass on these can't be beat unless you drop $1800 or so on top of the line Swaros.

pah1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pah1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2005 at 14:46
Steve, if you are truly satisfied with your Pentax, then you may want to check out the 8x43 models.
betterviewdesired.com has a good review on them also check out birdforum.net they have a ton of info on binoculars.
The review greywolf posted on the Nikon's is old, the new version is the Nikon Premier LXL and they weigh in at under 30ozs., have click stops in the eyecups and a new price over $1200.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2005 at 15:05

I would look at Kahles, Pentax SP, Minox, Docter, Leupold Gold Ring.

ranburr

SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 09:32

The Zeiss 8x40 Victory II can be found for less than $1,000, and it is a great binocular in my opinion.  It's also pretty light in weight.

The other models cited by respondents should be good also.  Unfortunately, of all those listed to this point, I have experience only with the Zeiss.

If you don't mind the bulk, the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED porro prism model should be excellent, and under $400.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic