OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions on 4200 1.5-6x36

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on 4200 1.5-6x36
    Posted: June/28/2009 at 17:01
I have always just used leupolds scopes but since I joined this forum I am hearing about how good some brands are and want to try some of them out. I still love leupolds. I do not have the knowledge or experience of most of the people on here so I am trying to learn and make good purchases. So far the 4200 scopes have been praised by most and one man told me he likes this 1.5-6x36 on his 45-70. My intended use for this scope would  to hunt bear and boar from close range to 300 yards in good light or poor light. Is this discontinued 1.5-6x36 4200 model   as good as the current 4200 scopes like the 4200 2.5-10x40H  ? What would be a good price for a new bushnell 4200 1.5-6x36?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2009 at 17:15
The only reason the 1.5-6x36 was discontinued was lack of interest from a sales standpoint. If you can find one with the FireFly (heavy duplex) reticle, it's a great scope.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2009 at 17:17
  If you can find ONE,PLEASE try and find TWO and give me a call!!!!!!!!!!  Bucky
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2009 at 17:33
Thanks for the fast replies I just put this up a few minutes ago. What is a fair price for this scope?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2009 at 18:22
Well if you can locate one, I would think that $350 ish would be a good price. Make sure when ordering that they actually have the scope in stock. Lots of scammer's out there.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2009 at 19:31
Roy Finn thanks. One place is listing it for 390 is that still reasonable? I can call them tomorrow. I can get the 4200 2.5-10x40 for 362 but I really like that 61.5 f.o.v. at 1.5 power. I would really want both for diferent rifles but I want to get one 4200 first to check it out before buying a second one. I can not find one in the stores. Like everyone I want a good deal.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 03:26
I've seen them as low as $250. Used as low as $200. Nice scope but kinda heavy and large for the power. I've had 3 of them.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 07:40
Jetwrnch thanks for the info. I think I will wait for a new one to show up under 300 then. The vx3 1.5-6x32 is less than 11 ounces at 429. I will get one of those for now. I know that is a great scope.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 08:33
I have the scope with the FireFly reticle.I bought it over 2 years ago for around $350 it was mounted on my 50 T/C Encore and has worked just fine.I would buy this scope again.  
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 11:01
I own that very scope with the Firefly reticle. I really like it but as you said it is discontinued. It is just barely smaller and lighter than the 2.5-10x40 model so in my opinion you would be better off just getting the 40mm model. Also, for some reason mine is only comfortably usable down to 2 power, at 1.5 power the eye position is too critical and its hard to get a full view without a blurred edge around the view. I like the heavy plex crosshairs because they stay so black. The wire reticle doesnt reflect light like the other plex reticles because of the Luminecent coating on it. I compared to a Ziess Conquest and the Firefly reticle stayed just as black in low light as the Etched Zeiss reticle. Ive never tried to charge the reticle to make it glow as it stays very easy to see in low light without it. I would say the Leupold with a Heavy Plex is the way to go if size and weight are important. If not just get a 4200 Elite Firefly 2.5-10x40mm. I got mine for $275.00 a few years back and Ive seen some used go for $225.00 but they had the standard plex. I also had one with the standard plex but the reticle would reflect light too much and looked almost transparent so I sold it for $235.00.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 17:19
Thanks  Randall45 and Dave44. I have a few rifles I want to scope so I will be buying a few more scopes. I have a gunsmith mount my scopes and then  I sight the gun in. Once that is done I leave the scope on the gun. I have decided to stick with vx3 conquests and 4200s. I purchased 2 monarchs and I really like them but I willnot buy another one until I am sure they are a very reliable scope. Some say they are and some say they are not. I saw a conquest 3-9x40 and it was heavy at near 1lb. Other than the weight I liked it. I have never seen the 2.5-8x32 conquest or the 1.8-5.5x38 conquests but both have specs I like although both sound like heavy scopes. As far as scope weight goes for me it depends alot on the gun it is going on. On a heavy rifle a heavy scope isnot so bad. But I will not put a 1lb. scope on my tikka light rifles. I can not find any 4200s in the stores so the only way I am going to see one is to buy one. I have heard so much good about them that I will take Dave44s advice and get a new 2.5-10x40 with the firefly and a vx3 1.75-6x32 with the heavy plex. I own 2 v3s and they are even lighter than the vxllls but with less eye relief  than the vxlll. Dave44 do you like the conquest and how heavy was it comparec to the 4200. Also is it hard to get good sight in groups at 100 yards with the leupold heavy plex at 6 power? Sorry about the endless questions.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 18:05
I compared a 3-9x40 Conquest to my 1.5-6x36 Bushnell Elite firefly and in dim light could not tell one was brighter than the other, however the Conquest has a tad bit sharper resoloution making the whole view a bit crisper. That Firefly reticle is very heavy in the outer lines and then steps down to a bit thinner but still heavy and then the center lines are just regular center plex thickness. At first I didnt like it because I had only used regular plex reticles but after I mounted and got used to it it is actually nice to me. Bushnell Elites have a 1 year money back gaurantee if you dont like their scope so your really not risking much there and the Leupolds have very high resale value so if you get a good deal youll probably get all of your money back if you sell. I really liked the Conquests, they are nice scopes. The plex reticle is fairly heavy without being distracting but the inner center plex has very very thin lines. I also had a Burris Sig. Select 1.5-6x40 with Taper plex and I can tell you that the Taper plex in the Burris is exactly the same as the #20 Z-plex (Conquest) to my eye except the inner plex lines are a little thicker which made it better in my opinion for woods hunting. Optically it goes ZEISS CONQUEST, 4200 then Burris to me. Brighness wise they are all pretty equal to me. Dont get me wrong, I like the standard plex reticles and in LEGAL HUNTING LIGHT they are just fine. I just am starting to like how easy it is to find the crosshairs in dark wooded hillsides when the reticle is a bit thicker. Even after sunrise a lot of times Im still in the dark on the back side of the hill covered in trees which block out most of the sun.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 18:58
Heavy plex Leupolds are very thick
not a great scope for tiny groups

many people prefer German #4, bold horizontal bottom and side and thin middle
that's probably the #1 recommended reticle for low light hunting short of an illuminated reticle

here's a pretty cool tool

http://www.kahlesoptik.com/reticleviewer/index.php

boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 20:14
Dave44 thanks. I like the conquest 3-9x40  I saw in the store alot. The lower power conquests sound good too. Does the 3-9 have enough field at 3 for close work? Do you have any problems using the 4200 2.5-10 at 2.5? I know the vx3 well and I will not be selling them. I can get the 1.8-5.5x38  and 2.5-8x32 conquests for less money than the 4200. The 3-9x40 conquest costs more but I really want one. So I think I will buy the three ziess scopes first. Perhaps in the mean time I will find a 4200 tolook at. The 4200 sounds like a great scope but so do the conquests.Hard choices for me anyway.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 06:56
The Conquests are great scopes no doubt about it. I can tell you one thing I noticed about the 3-9x40 Conquest. The #20 Z-plex in the 3-9 x40 model is different than the #20 Z -plex in the 3.5-10x44 or 3-9x50 model. The 44 and 50 models have a wide plex. In other words the heavier outer lines do not come as close to the center of the reticle leaving a wider small plex in the center which to me seems worse for low light. I think the 3-9x40 is the best one but I have not seen the newer low powered models. They even have a fixed 4x32 power Conquest for $300.00 which I would like to try out. Ive heard the 1.8-5.5x38 is a large scope but Ive also heard it is optically very good and perhaps even better than the 3-9x40 model.Im sure the Z plex is the same size in all the low power models and I believe you can even get the German #4 if you want it.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 10:06
The sale scopes both come with the #20 I saw no other options. I can get a 3-9x40 with the german #4. This seems like it would be good in low light and still give a thin area where the crosshars meet. Thanks.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 10:29

Cooker thanks. The heavy plex takes up 1 inch 0n 6 power at 100 yards and that seems like alot to me. I want good groups at 100 yard sight in so I can know pretty close where I should hit at 200 and 300 yards. that german #4 gives you a precise aiming point.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 10:38
cool, I am with you on that

I have had 2 Zeiss Conquests, a 4.5-14 with Zplex and a 3-9x50 with a G4
the latter seemed to have thicker bars than the Kahles 3-10x50 I have
that's my favorite #4
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 13:39
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Heavy plex Leupolds are very thick
not a great scope for tiny groups

many people prefer German #4, bold horizontal bottom and side and thin middle
that's probably the #1 recommended reticle for low light hunting short of an illuminated reticle

here's a pretty cool tool

http://www.kahlesoptik.com/reticleviewer/index.php

...............I have the German #4 reticle on my 1.5-5x20 VX111. The crosshair thickness at the reticles thinnest point covers 2.8" @ 100 yards. Great reticle for hunting, but not for the range unless you modify the target.

So! I simply change the target to adapt to the thicker reticle. With a black, red, or dark blue felt marker, I draw a 1/4" thick reverse L or a conventional L....I then line up one side of the vertical and horizontal scope crosshairs with the outer edge of the L. It works fine as it gives a consistent point of aim. The color choice of felt marker used on the target should depend on what is the easiest to see. The vertical and horizontal lines on many targets aren`t thick enough to effectively see. That`s why I change it a little using a felt marker to thicken the lines.

Trying to equally divide into fours a 4" or 6" circle by the crosshairs, does not give a real consistent aiming point because you have to judge all 4 quarter sections the crosshairs don`t cover for size equality. Too much guess work and an in-consistent point of aim.

I find that my groups are just as small using the above method as when I had a 3x9 with the thinner reticles. 

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 14:00
IMHO- Anything in the 4200 Elite series would serve you VERY WELL.............
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic