OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarc African

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarc African
    Posted: June/26/2009 at 13:48
Hi all.
I have been away for a while, and suddenly discovered the Monarc African on  the Nikon site.   Looks like a perfect match for my Hawkeye African, 375 Ruger?

The rifle will most likely never see any DG hunting, but mostly moose and bear in my local woods, and for sertain another plains game hunt most probably in Namibia.

Any of you who have done any testing and real life shooting with this scope?
I know it will be right at home in bush and dense wood, but how will this scope hod up on say 200 yards shot in Namibia with the 375 Ruger?

I´m on for the 1,1-4x24 IR if I decide to buy one.
Could be a good scope for driven pigs as well?

Seawolf
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 14:23
I read a little about this scope in NRA's American Hunter magazine I just received.  The author was pleased with it, he was using it for his .375.  Sounded like he was a Nikon fan all around though as he uses the Nikkor lenses for his photographs.

BAdger 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 15:23
 There are lots of reasons to use Canon cameras, but the normal range of lenses are not a part of those reasons.  You want the EL lenses for Canon.  If they guy is shooing in the middle of no place, that is enough reason to use Nikon.  Though Nikon seems to be bringing stuff down to the Canon level without the software upgrades. While the glass is better enginered that 30 years ago, they are both not as rugged as there were.  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 10:20
I reread that article last night, and the author used a monarch 2.5-10x42 on his .300 WM, and would use an african series if they were out when he hunted last year on his .375 H&H.  He talked up the ED glass in the Nikon EDG binocular, NIkon's ED glass being the secret to all his pictures.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 12:33
Seawolf.............Don`t see any reason why the Nikon African scope wouldn`t  do very well on your rifle. An African scope on an African rifle? Not a bad twist!!

I don`t have any experience with the Nikon African scope. But I do have experience with a similar low powered variable, the 1.5-5x20 VX111 on my own 375 Ruger Alaskan. I also mount the VX111 on a 300 WSM for hog and elk hunting.

This Nikon scope should work very well for you in your local woods for moose and bears and at ranges out to even 350-400 yards on plains game if necessary. On occasion, I set up 1 gallon milk cartons filled with water at 300 yards and plink them off with no problem set on 5x. 

On 4x, I don`t believe you`ll have any problem at 200 yards or even out to 400 yards with the Nikon African scope in successfully downing any African plains game or any domestic big game.

In case you haven`t seen this, here is an interesting article for you to read. An extensive Jeff Quinn review on your very 375 Ruger African rifle along with some great reloading data, which if you reload you will find very useful. Some of those H-4350 loadings I`ve duplicated from that article, have given me some very good velocity and accuracy results out of my Alaskan.

Go to........gunblast.com.........click....."archive"........then speed scroll down to......2/6/07.

Best of luck!

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 15:34
is the 30mm Africans using the ED glass ?
is that why they are so expensive?

FWIW, I was not impressed with either gen of my 1.1-4 CQB IORs
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 17:12

No ED glass for the africans, but NIkon does put this in the EDG bin and the Nikkor lenses for photography.  Sorry for the confusing posts.  So what I'm saying is I don't know a darn thing about the Nikon African series... Cool

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2009 at 19:54
i asked nikon if they thought that scope would actually handle "african" calibers, and they told me they were very confident that they would. i myself havent had a stitch of trouble with any nikon scopes in the last 10 years. i guess i would give them a whirl.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic