OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

THE PERFECT TRIGGER PULL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 08:42
My Dad once told me, trigger control is important but weapon control is even more. Sometimes, to light a trigger controls the shooter and not the other way around. I believe a shooter needs to work on overall control of his set up before polishing out any little imperfections in the trigger group. If you can get 1 MOA with a 5lb trigger you might not need a 2 oz trigger.  I have shot a friends .270 Merkel  with a two stage trigger 3.5lbs and 3oz. respectively.  I held sub MOA groups with both set ups.  I really didn't like the 3oz trigger, once you pushed that trigger forward I felt anything would set that rifle off. OK on a bench I guess but 1.25 to 1.5lbs is light enough for me. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Actually, they pretty much all work together.  However, too heavy a pull weight can translate into inadvertant longitudinal and/or transverse force imparted to the rifle, especially with less experienced shooters.  Lighter pull weight reduces the probablilty of those adverse forces.  The affects of pull weight can have negative effects on accuracy.  It is specious to imply pull weight is of not of significance and can be ignored.  

To a small point, maybe.  After a while you shoot matches where the trigger weight is set by match rules.  Thus the weight is the minimum or higher.  Then we see that it is the quality of the trigger not the weight that matters.  A bad#5 tigger verses a good #6 trigger becomes a great lesson.  There are lots of "lawyer triggers", but if it is smooth you can work with it.

If you are moving the mass of a rifle with the pulling of the trigger you are doing something wrong to begin with.  It happens with a hand gun because the trigger pull is often  twice to five times that of the gun.  That is why learning the handgun is all about grip and learning to master the trigger.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2009 at 18:52
My wife is a very good shooter, she has made more than one man refuse to go to the range with us after shooting against her once.  My Voere has double set triggers... without the trigger "set" the pull is 6lb, with it set pull is 8oz.  Her groups are above MOA without setting the trigger, but with it set, she shoots to the capability of the rifle's advertised accuracy .5MOA.  That is only one anecdotal instance, but I have seen it repeated many times with other shooters.  It does not take much movement to affect precision.  
I don't have any disagreements with anything said except the part about trigger pull weight being insignificant.  If you are shooting those types of matches, you are not an inexperienced or out of practice shooter... however, many bench shooter use triggers set in 1to 1.5lb range.  I don't have any problems with my Ruger#1's at 6lb, but like my 7mmSTW at 1.5. The Voere is pleasant to shoot with the .5lb set.  I guess, just like most aspects of shooting, it depends on the shooter.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 05:06
Kentucky rifles often had "set" triggers, with a pull of only a few ounces.  It seemed to work just fine on the British and hostile Indians. 

My .40 caliber Kentucky has a set trigger, and I find it very easy to shoot well.  Interestingly, this rifle shot better groups than one of the more accurate civil war rifle reproductions when we did some side-by-side comparison shooting at the range.

Getting and fine-tuning an accurate firearm is just part of the equation.   Accuracy and trigger control lie largely in the hands of the shooter.  You can't buy skill.  You have to learn it and earn it. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 11:42
I like mine in the area of 2.5-3 lbs.  Smile
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic