OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

THE PERFECT TRIGGER PULL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE PERFECT TRIGGER PULL
    Posted: June/25/2009 at 21:44
I  have a new model 700 Remington in 270 cal. and I  don't know the trigger pull on it and was wondering  what I need it set at for deer hunting .I am very safe with any gun.I WONDERING  WHAT PULL WEIGHT REMINGTON SET THEIR TRIGGERS AT IN THE FACTORY/cb
countryboy appreciates
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 22:21
Put a pull guage on it and measure it.   If it were me, I would look for 2-1/2 to 3lbs.     This is me now, I dont know how you hunt.   Your Remmy should be arround this from the factory.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 07:14
Don't worry about the weight of the pull.  Things like smoothness of the pull and release are much more important.  Concentration on the sights and target also help wipe out a lot of trigger issues. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 11:08
Remington sets their trigger pull weights rather heavy (especially hunting rifles) for liability reasons. If you adjust it or mess with it in any way and send it back to Remington for any reason, they will replace the trigger and charge you for it. They can be adjusted if you know what your doing, but you are assuming the liability.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 13:58
Hey...countryboy....does your new rem have the x-mark pro trigger??? it should anyway...these come from the factory in the 4.5-5# range. The best feel for these triggers in my opinion is right at 3.75 and is incredibly safe. Due to the saftey mechanics of this trigger you cant really adjust anything other than pull weight. Too light and you will feel creep real easily, so I would have a gunsmith put it there and you should be real happy with it.
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 19:07
Your trigger (whether X-Mark or the previous generation) can safely be adjusted down to about 2 lbs, but 2.5 - 3 lbs is a good, safe minimum for a big game rifle used in moderate weather.  For colder weather where you'd be wearing heavy gloves all the time or for a dangerous game rifle, I would set it 1 - 2 lb heavier.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 11:20
I took my 40X trigger down to 1.5 just to see what it would be like at the range, but that was too scary for field use. I found that 2.5 lbs. works well.
Reaction time is a factor...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 13:54
Those 40X's can be adjusted very light. If you want to feel light, try a 40X 2 ounce trigger option. I had one on a 6mm 40X and it took me quite a while to get used to it. It was strickly a paper gun.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 20:39
i set my m700 to 3lbs once, that was scary enough for a hunting rifle. 4lbs made me feel much better.
my dad has a high wall winchester in a .219 ai with a double set trigger and like roy said ounces are way scary. when you push the back trigger forward, you would swear just breathing would touch it off.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 21:11
pyro, that rifle had Remington's Custom Shop 2 oz trigger option and I think you could adjust it all the way up to a half pound. I hope I did not give the impression that any field rifle should be equipped with a trigger like that. Besides, it did not even have a safety. For my hunting rigs, I like something in the 2.5-3lb range. I'm not saying that everyone would be comfortable with that either, so in the end only the individual knows what he/she will be most comfortable with.

Add: the 2 ounce option is only available on 40X rifles.

Edited by Roy Finn - June/29/2009 at 21:12
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 21:14
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

pyro, that rifle had Remington's Custom Shop 2 oz trigger option and I think you could adjust it all the way up to a half pound. I hope I did not give the impression that any field rifle should be equipped with a trigger like that. Besides, it did not even have a safety. For my hunting rigs, I like something in the 2.5-3lb range. I'm not saying that everyone would be comfortable with that either, so in the end only the individual knows what he/she will be most comfortable with.

Winkno no roy i follow you, i was just in agreement with your advice. that .219AI is a bench gun also. if i didnt hunt in places where its cold i could easily see myself dropping to 2.5lbs. i totally agree with you.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 22:11
I've had my remmy set as low as 2.5 lbs but prefer 3 lbs for hunting.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 22:23
Something between 6 and 12 lb sounds about right...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 22:26

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 22:27
2 ounce sounds about right for the Lott............
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 22:46
Ooops...  always forget those decimals.

.6 and 1.2

just kidding...
I do think the Lott comes from the factory set at 6lb... I've not tested it.  Most of my hunting rifles are between 4 and 5 lb.  I've thought a number of times about lowering the pull weight on the Etronx to about 1.5lb, but it shoots so well at the factory setting, I am not sure a lighter pull would improve it...perhaps.  My 7mmSTW is set at 1.5lb, but I have not hunted with it since the trigger job. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 05:59
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

2 ounce sounds about right for the Lott............

could you imagine handing that to a buddy and say have at er. the look on his face after would be priceless!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 11:00
The qaulity of trigger pull is way more important than pull weight. If the trigger doesnt break right, you will subconsciously anticipate sear release, the same goes for creep. If you can feel it, you will anticipate it & it will effect accuracy......
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 21:08
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Don't worry about the weight of the pull.  Things like smoothness of the pull and release are much more important.  Concentration on the sights and target also help wipe out a lot of trigger issues. 
4+ on Silver's recommendation.  Unless the trigger has an extremely unusually high weight of pull, which on a Remington or any other good quality rifle, those qualities that Silver suggested is far more important than the exact weight of pull. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 21:27
Actually, they pretty much all work together.  However, too heavy a pull weight can translate into inadvertant longitudinal and/or transverse force imparted to the rifle, especially with less experienced shooters.  Lighter pull weight reduces the probablilty of those adverse forces.  The affects of pull weight can have negative effects on accuracy.  It is specious to imply pull weight is of not of significance and can be ignored.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic