OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

flat-top AR with front site post AND scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flat-top AR with front site post AND scope
    Posted: June/25/2009 at 11:14
I have the opportunity to get a flat-top AR BUT it has a front site post.  I've mounted many red dots on flat tops with front site posts (I kinda like the setup: if the dot fails, the nonmagnifying optic can act as a rear site aperture in conjuction with the front site.)

I am interested in mounting a scope on a flat top but am unsure if the front site will block the optic in part.  I will be mounting the optic in a 1.5 LaRue.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 11:23
I put a 4x IOR on a buddies AR I built him and we kept the stock front sight post.  It does darken the image of the scope a little bit.  You can tell it is there, but it doesn't really block your sight picture.

I have the same rifle and scope but with a fold down sight and there is a little difference.  For me it is enough that it would bug me.  But he seems to be fine with it.

I also put a 10x SS on a rifle with a FS post and it was the same, a little darkened over the same scope on an AR without the FS post.

I put this sight on my gun.  Really easy to install.
http://www.del-ton.com/YHM_Front_Sight_Gas_Block_p/st1018.htm

Edited by supertool73 - June/25/2009 at 11:29
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 13:10
Just to throw i my .02. I have a 16" upper with a fold down front sight and flat top. When I put a 4x ACOG on it, I notice a dark blurr in the lower half of the scope when the front sight is up. It bothered me enough that on another build I have going, I had a GG&G fold down front sight put on the barrell. Since it is a pinned sight I had to send the barrel to GG&G to have the sight put on.
I have a friend that I built a rifle for, that has the standard front sight. The upper is a flat top that he mounted a 4-12x50 on. He uses it for ground hogs and muskrats and has no problems with the front sight.
The front sight bothers me, but not him, so I guess it's up to the individual.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 15:17
I think that the fixed front sight becomes more noticable as the scope power decreases and angle of view increases.  With some scopes it is more livable than with others as the dark area is low and centered.  If it bothers you a good gunsmith would be able to switch the front sight to a different style of gas block I have one from DPMS that has quad rails on the gas block.  One nice thing is you can ship the upper for work without any major grief by UPS.    http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/ 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/25/2009 at 17:01

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 15:23
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Since it is a pinned sight I had to send the barrel to GG&G to have the sight put on.

The pins are really easy to take out.  A couple taps with a punch and they come right out.  Then adding a bolt on sight is nothing.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 15:48
The pins are easy to take out, which I did before I shipped the barrel. I don't trust bolt on gas blocks. Front sight gas blocks are placed on the barrel and then drilled for the pins, this means that front sight gas blocks are not readily interchangable from barrel to barrel (ever wonder why AR 15 barrels already have the front sight on them, when buying a new one).
In order to have a new fold down front sight gas block pinned on my new Krieger barrel, I had to send the barrel to GG&G to have the sight fitted to the barrel
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 16:19
I see.  I always order white oak barrels and just use the bolt on fs blocks.  Worked good so far.  

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 17:00
Mine are all pinned and I have White Oak do what ever work I need.  Worked good so far.Thunbs Up

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 21:58
Yea, I'll probably pop the front site off and put on a rail gas block
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 01:51
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I don't trust bolt on gas blocks.

I agree if you're talking about the most common set-screw style.  The clamp on style like the JP http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-1 however I have no worries about.  An MI folding site works nicely with those to keep it out of the scope when you want.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 07:39
front sights on ars are cheap investment castings, designed for cheap and easy building, main reason diamond cut off blades were invented. high quality aftermarket bolt ons have them beat in every way. obstruction by front, depends on power of scope, and ht. of mounting. usually anything above 4x with same ht, mounts as handle aren't visible.
Sarg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 12:54
Rancid, I have a flat top M4orgery with standard A2 front sight and put a cheap scope laying around on and do not see any of the front sight.  The scope is  a 4x on tall rings and also makes it easier to work the charging handle.  Use a flip down/up rear site if the scope goes bad. HTH
SEMPER FI
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 14:33
Thanx for the info, I now have an idea where it'll go.

I'll let you know later if I have chosen poorly or otherwise.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 10:15
I told you not to use Jose's midnight gunsmith service and pawn shop didn't I.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic