OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Prismatic on a BLR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Prismatic on a BLR
    Posted: June/25/2009 at 02:06
I have a new Browning BLR Lightweight 81 takedown.  It currently has the scout mount and an Eotech sight.  There is also a Williams receiver sight as backup.

The Eotech is a great sight -- I love the holosights -- but I've been looking more and more at the Leupold Prismatic for this rifle.  However, I have a few questions before I commit to almost $500 for a new sight.

1.  What kind of a mount will I need for my rifle?.
2.  How much adjustment will there be for eye relief?  I'm pretty good at keeping my head upright so three to four inches is plenty.
3.  Any opinions on how good it really is?
4.  Durability.  If a horse steps on my rifle will I be finishing the hunt with the peep sight? Shocked

What I have now works for what I want it to do.  However, much as I like holosights, I'm still more comfortable with the flat field of view a scope provides.  Magnification is not a big deal to me.  The current BLR's older brother had a 2-7X32 but I almost never turned it past 4X except at the range or to bore sight it.  Most of time it might as well have been a fixed 2X power.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 09:00
the prismatic fits weaver or picatinny rail type mounts. It is a true 1x scope not an extended eye relief scope or scout type scope, it must be mounted closer to the shooter. The one I have is well made and gets beat around quite a bit, but a horse is a different animal.
some of its best features
it comes with different mounting hts blocks.
the elevation and windage are the same as vxlll series.
the illumination feature is really good, but the battery life is up to some of the dot types.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 11:38
I have only briefly played with one
I think it's a cool piece but think they would sell a ton more if it was 300 bucks instead
it's price puts it in Aimpoint territory

scarville View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 15:18
Thank for the quick replies.

If you look at the pre-drilled hole for scopes on the BLR there is place to put two short blocks.  My old Model 81 had no adjustment at all for the rings and I had to remove part of the front sight to clear the objective bell.  All two piece rails I've seen so far are similar.

Because there is no play in the rail I was interested in how much there was in the mount itself.  The action on the BLR discourages crowding the sights so the scope will have to set back back a bit to be in the envelope of the eye relief.  Also since the Williams WGRS takes up the forward set of holes, the single point mount looks even more attractive.

Mounting it close to my eye (in scope terms) is no problem.  That's one of the reasons I'm looking at it.

The Eotech does its job.  There is no denying that nor the quality of design and workmanship that went into the unit.  I'm just researching options.  I'm also considering one of the scout scopes by Burris, Nikon or Leupold.

I also saw a 2-7x32 by Leatherwood but I don't know much about the quality of the product.

Quote I think it's a cool piece but think they would sell a ton more if it was 300 bucks instead

Me too.

About the horse.  Going on ten years ago I was on an elk hunt in some wonderful Montana weather -- cold and the ground was half frozen slush most of the day.  We were leading the horses over some slippery ground when one of the hunters slipped in the mud and somehow mamaged to dislodge his rifle from the scabbard.   

Plop.  Right into the mud.

And then his horse stepped on it.  Frankly we all figured that was it for his hunt.  However, when he cleaned the rifle and checked it with the bore sight it looked OK.  Next day he shot a bull at about 250 yards so he was either incredibly lucky or the scope wasn't damaged.

I know it's only anecdotal but it really boosted my respect for Leupold scopes.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 07:27
the scope is made every bit as well as an aimpoint if not better, and it is as fast as an eotech, but also has the advantage of a fairly refined sight picture at longer distances. I'm sure alot of leo product would sell better if the price were reduced, but its sort of beside the point. The mount itself is part of the scope, not a ring, and is solid no play. The optical fiber ring, may be removed the scope just used with a black cross hair, an advantage neither the eotech or the aimpoint share.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 07:29
would add also the overall size difference is significant between the 3, the leo being smaller than either
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 20:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the prismatic fits weaver or picatinny rail type mounts. It is a true 1x scope not an extended eye relief scope or scout type scope, it must be mounted closer to the shooter. The one I have is well made and gets beat around quite a bit, but a horse is a different animal.
some of its best features
it comes with different mounting hts blocks.
the elevation and windage are the same as vxlll series.
the illumination feature is really good, but the battery life is up to some of the dot types.
  Dale, would you please clarify that statement you made which I emboldened in red?
 I think you mean that the battery life of the Leupold Prismatic is comparable to the legendary long battery life of the Aimpoints but not sure if that's what you meant? 
Thanks.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 22:38
sorry about that, no the battery life is not up to the dots, and comparable to the watch batteries they used in most illuminations, (but the stock can carry a back up supply).
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 00:18
 Okay- thanks for clarifying, Dale.
Love your XCR, BTW!
 Your notes about it in Mark's recent FNAR thread has rekindled my interest in it...
There seems to be an awful lot to like about that platform- all the things I like about ARs, and the things I don't like about them improved or modified.
  I was wondering - since you're the only guy I know who owns one - is there anything about the performance or ergonomics of the XCR that you don't care for, especially compared side by side to an AR?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 08:29
since I had the problem with mine, robinsons puts a detent in the barrel to stop movement from the gas block, and other refinements include a better shield on the side against marring by ejected cartridge. the folding stock on mine is a little to low, robinson now as a collapsible and folding stock with a bit higher check and is very heavy duty. The changed the trigger on the new models (more llike a RRA) and the 6 positon gas valve will retro fit on any model. They lhave ar pretty well beat-- especially if your starting out.  There is not as many after market parts, and if one already has a bunch of ar stuff, may be a departure.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 08:31

sorry for the thread hijack

I think the prismatic deserves a good look on your BLR.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic