OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kimber Stainless 308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kimber Stainless 308
    Posted: June/24/2009 at 23:07
Ok Guys, I just love the looks of this new Kimber Stainless 308.Oh Yea Baby I really like Lightweight Rifles like this one as well, it weighs 5 lbs. 10 ozs. Assuming this rifle is a good shooter along with the person behind it.. Lets say you were using a 185gr. Berger VLD Bullet with a very high BC or something close to it.. My question is with this lightweight of a rifle even after adding 5 rounds and a 16 oz. scope.. What kind of  yardage can one expect out of it?
Joined 3-31-2009
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 06:15
Not sure what you are asking. A 308 is good out to 1000yds+. If you are looking for a flat shooter then the 308 and 180gr bullets are not the way to go. Point blank range with a 250yds zero is about 300yds. Meaning you can hit a dinner plate from up close out to 300yds without any holdover.
The weight of the rifle has nothing to do with ballistics, and everything to do about recoil.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 07:23

the yardage is up to you and your skills and how the rifle shoots.

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 10:59
Perhaps I worded the question wrong. Most people buy heavy rifles for longer range shooting, like some of the heavy target rifles and they are very accurate out to , well lets just say 700 yards.. I was just wondering how a Lightweight would perfom?
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 17:41
the rifle will shoot no different than any other rifle with the same length barrel and same ammo as long it is just as accurate, regardless of the weight.  of course as previously said, you have to do your part.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 18:24

Break-in 101    (click link)

I'd recommend the composite stock for a  hunting rifle.   As for what kind of yardage that is an open ended question as you can angle it up and it will shoot well over a mile.  I would expect a .308 to be quite useable for deer size game at 600 to 700 yds and capable of shooting paper targets at twice that.  It's more a question of ethics when you are talking long range hunting because a lot of factors come into play.  The wind can carry the bullet off target by quite a bit at 600 yds or more.  You can expect it to work for you at the distances you practice with it.  So if you practice all the time at 1000 yds and know what it will do and how to correct for wind and trajectory then you are prepared.  But a guy who only shoots at 100 yds with a duplex scope is fooling himself if he expects to place an accurate shot on a deer at 600 yds.   Most rifles shoot better than their owners or can with a little help like glass bedding the stock and a good trigger.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 22:08
Someone told me that a 308 Rifle that only weighed 5lbs.  10ozs.  would not be very accurate shooting long distances. Thats the only reason I asked, just curious . There would be no point in my mind buying one like this if it were true.

Thanks!

JF
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 22:21
What folks are telling you is that a light rifle will be harder to hold steady. Some ardent riflemen can do this, but in general a little weight is your friend for punching paper.

Edited by Roy Finn - June/25/2009 at 22:22
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 22:48
Thanks Roy,

Forums and E-mail are not always the best way for me to communicate. Things get very somewhat confusing at times and I do not always explain things quite the proper way...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic