OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sight in for .257 wby mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sight in for .257 wby mag
    Posted: June/23/2009 at 16:56
What height would you reccomend sighting in at 100yds to maintain as close to a possible zero throughout 100-300 yards. For instance if you sight in 3 in high @ 100 then its 4 inches high @ 200 and dead on @ 300. Wby .257 wby mag 100 grain.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 18:15
  Need a little more info. Velocity and ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Here's how the 150gr load for my .300 works with a trajectory of no more than 3" above or below line of sight out to about 330yds to give you an idea.
   150 gr bullet @ 3371 w/a b.c. of .408
      100yds= +2.25"
      200yds= +2.45"
      229yds= +1.2"
      259yds= zero
      300yds= -1.7"
      325yds= -2.63"
      350yds= -5"
      400yds= -10.5"
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:07

I sight my .257 Weatherbys in 2" high at 100 with any load.

With a typical 100-grain at 3500 or so the trajectory in both of my rifles is still 2" high at 200, still an inch high at 300, and about 5" low at 400. This is at about 5000 feet above sea level, where the airis a little thinner--but even at lower elevations there would be no problem holding right in the middle of the chest of any big game animal (even somewhat smaller ones) out to 300+.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2009 at 21:54
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I sight my .257 Weatherbys in 2" high at 100 with any load.

With a typical 100-grain at 3500 or so the trajectory in both of my rifles is still 2" high at 200, still an inch high at 300, and about 5" low at 400. This is at about 5000 feet above sea level, where the airis a little thinner--but even at lower elevations there would be no problem holding right in the middle of the chest of any big game animal (even somewhat smaller ones) out to 300+.

thats what i would recommend also. its a laser of a round so flat shooting out to 300 yds really would require much hold over.

oh yeah

No Pics
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2009 at 22:04
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

What height would you reccomend sighting in at 100yds to maintain as close to a possible zero throughout 100-300 yards. For instance if you sight in 3 in high @ 100 then its 4 inches high @ 200 and dead on @ 300. Wby .257 wby mag 100 grain.

Did you get a new rifle??
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 08:53
No sir. It was for a buddy of mine. I told him the same thingroughly between 2-3 but he wanted me to ask ya'll so he can read the responses. I did however get a new truck..
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 12:35

No sir. It was for a buddy of mine. I told him the same thingroughly between 2-3 but he wanted me to ask ya'll so he can read the responses. I did however get a new truck..

All right, tell us about the new truck!! Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 12:49
If you sight in at 255 which would be 4 inches high at 100 yards.  You could have a 4 inch PBR target size which would allow you to shoot from 149 to 296 holding that 4 inch target size.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 13:24
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 13:24
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 13:26
Those are the wheels that are getting put on it. I sold my silverado crew cab with 65,000 miles for 13,500 and got this with only 17,000 miles for $12,000. Drove to houston picked it up and drove it back last weekend. So far it has been a great truck.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 13:28

Here is my a pretty cool picture of my truck for representation of my truck club aftermath. I just joined their club and they have chapters all over the US and some overseas in austraila. i was pretty honored about being asked to be in a club of that caliber.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 13:30
Wow, your gonna have a fleet of 'em little trucks!! Big Smile
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 15:46
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you sight in at 255 which would be 4 inches high at 100 yards.  You could have a 4 inch PBR target size which would allow you to shoot from 149 to 296 holding that 4 inch target size.

Not exactly.
That would be possible only if you held on the BOTTOM edge of that 4-inch target at 100 yards, and even then, you'd barely clip the top edge of it. (If you sight in for the bullet to strike 4 inches high at 100, and then hold on the center of a 4-inch circle, you will hit 2 inches OVER the top edge of it.  Keep in mind that it is only 2 inches from the center to any edge of a 4-inch circle.)
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 15:56
Yeah I already explained that to him he said he got that off the Weathervy web site. I would say probably two inches high at 100 but that is just me.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 16:47

Nice. Think the new rims will look better too.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 16:52
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Not exactly.
That would be possible only if you held on the BOTTOM edge of that 4-inch target at 100 yards, and even then, you'd barely clip the top edge of it. (If you sight in for the bullet to strike 4 inches high at 100, and then hold on the center of a 4-inch circle, you will hit 2 inches OVER the top edge of it.  Keep in mind that it is only 2 inches from the center to any edge of a 4-inch circle.)

Thats straight from exbal.  At 149 you would be at the top of the circle at 296 you would be at the bottom.  In closer you would have to aim a little low for sure.  If he wants PBR out to 300 that is probably the easiet way to do it.  It is easier to hold low at close than high at far in my opinion.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 20:42
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Nice. Think the new rims will look better too.

i do too, that looks pretty sweet chris2!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 19:34
Basically, the sight in distance for that range would be the same for many similar calibers, ie, the maximum point blank range, which can be calculated from just about any ballistics calculator such as Exbal, Sierra or anyother.  It will be somewhat different for each load you choose and for each handload.  Weatherby factory loads always do better than handloads, which are always downloaded, for safety, as nobody wants to put out a load that pushes close to the maximum.  That is not so say they are not accurate, quite to the contrary, many handloads are just as accurate, if not more so.  So instead of giving you a drop table, just consult one of those programs and calculate a MPBR.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic