OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What to do with recently acquired K31???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with recently acquired K31???
    Posted: June/23/2009 at 16:47
So, I've had my new (to me anyway) Swiss K31 for a bit more than a week now. I've cleaned and oiled it etc...haven't gotten to shoot it yet because I can't find ammo, waiting on some that should be headed my way via UPS. Anyway, I was wondering what everybody thought about refinishing a gun like this? I know this is sort of a touchy subject, some people abhor the idea, while others like the opportunity to make the gun more their own. To be clear, I am NOT talking about sporterizing the gun or anything of that nature. I have considered trying to touch up the stock to get rid of some of the various dings and dents and maybe put a nice clean oiled finish on it. The blueing on my gun is pretty faded in certain spots, but doesn't really bother me all that much. I had thought about reblueing the barrel if I decide to refinish the stock anyway, but its sort of up in the air right now. Strong thoughts in either direction are welcome, as well as suggestions about how to go about the project...
-Michael
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 16:55
Just shoot it Trust Me
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:01

-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:02
-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:03
-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:04
I figured it didn't do much good to talk about the gun without giving yall an idea of what I'm working with.
-Michael
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:21
Scars give rifles character,age and history,leave it alone and just shoot it
I'm classic shag nasty type.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:08
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

Scars give rifles character,age and history,leave it alone and just shoot it

My K-31 is beat to heck and back. Deep gouges and dents all over it, and the walnut stock is bleached almost white from standing in the snow all winter for who knows how many years. The bore is absolutely perfect, and there is little blue left and NO rust or pitting anywhere on the steel.
 I'll never refinish that rifle for the reasons Average Joe mentions.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:13
 BTW, nice-looking rifle, Michael!
 Not as beat-up as mine, but it still looks like a K-31 should. (Abused!)

I've never understood how the Swiss Army could take such good care of the steel while so completely mistreating the stocks of thier rifles.
 I'd give it a couple light rubbed-in coats of Tru-Oil and leave the dents and dings as they are.

Edited by RONK - June/23/2009 at 19:14
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:51
Just shoot it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 19:06

The buttstocks were damaged from drills that tapped the buttstock against their boots which had sharp snow lugs.  That's why they're always scratched up on the bottom and sometimes black from snow penetrating through the scratched finish.  If you clean it up I'd do it minimally.  Maybe a coat of BLO over the existing finish to take the white out of the scratches on the buttstock.  IMO they don't look right without a few scratches on the butt.

mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 20:39
Does anyone know what the original finish on a 1944 walnut stocked K31 would be? I would like to just clean a little bit of the worked in dirt and grime out of the finish, but don't want to do anything that will drastically diminish the value. If the original finish was BLO or something readily available, I would feel a lot better cleaning it knowing I could mend any finish that I rub off of the stock during the process.
-Michael
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 22:22
i was once told they got beat up from straping them to bikes 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 23:27
 I think the hobnailed Swiss Army boots are responsible for most of the beat-up K-31 stocks, but I've also heard that they got damaged while standing in a corner of the soldier's home, by his wife running the vacuum cleaner up against the stock!
 If that's the case, Swiss women must be pretty aggressive homemakers. Some of those dents are deep!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic