OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Factory Load for Tikka T3 300 WM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexSands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Load for Tikka T3 300 WM
    Posted: June/23/2009 at 11:47
I'm searching for a good factory load for my new Tikka T3 light stainless in 300 win mag.  I don't load my own (yet) so am wondering if anyone has had any luck with a particular bullet, and bullet weight.  There are so many out there now, it's hard to decide where to start.  I've heard good things about the accubonds, swift siroccos both in 180 grain, and the interbonds in are intriguing too.  I'll be using the rifle for primarily white tail and hogs, and maybe a big axis if I'm lucky.  I appreciate any guidance any of you can give me.  Thank you. 
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 20:08
I think you just named three of the best bullets for cobined whitetail and boar. The 180 grain load is available in Remington for the sirocco Federal or Winchester for the accubond and Hornady factory 165 grain interbond and they are all great. See how they group in your rifle.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 22:33
Two other good factory loads are winchester 150 e tip and hornady 150 interbond. Boar are much bigger and tougher than whitetail but the loads I told you about will do a fine job on either one.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 18:25
I had one that LOVED Black Hills 190-grain Sierra Matchkings - it killed many hogs and a few deer, nothing ran from that gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 19:45
180gr winchester super x's shot well in my .300wsm but the federal premium 180gr shot well in my .300 win mag. so you gotta experiment.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 21:55
Rancid Coolaid, I have heard that blackhills load is a real killer. Does it have enough penetration to shoot a big hog right on the shoulder or should you aim behind the shoulder? Do you know about what velocity you are getting with that ammo? It would retain lots of energy at long range and be very accurate.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 10:57
I chronoed at 2900 from a 26-inch barrel.

With big boars, I don't put the round in the shoulder, the things are too tough.  I go brain, heart, both lungs, or spine.

That gun killed more than a few big hogs, but never did I misplace a round. Accuracy, on hogs, trumps velocity and bullet weight/design, in my opinion.  My preferred shot is a round through the ear, that does the trick every time.  I like the 300WM because I can put a round in the ear from 400 yards out and know it has the power to get through that skull.

I tried a few various hunting loads through that gun and never found anything it liked as well as the Black Hills (which are hollow points, but not designed to mushroom like a hunting load), I stuck with Black Hills because I know where they go every time, and placement is more important to me than mass or velocity.

But maybe that's just me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 14:12
What do you recommend for varmint shooting with the 6.5?
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:56
What 6.5 do you have? If you have a 260 Remington the 120 accutip at 2980 fps. from remington should be ok for deer or varmits. If  you handload the possibilities are endless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic