OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is there a term for this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a term for this?
    Posted: June/22/2009 at 04:16
Some scopes apear to have thicker tubes/bells than others when sighting through. I.e the Elite 4200 has a lot of scope around the lens where as a Leupold does not. I'd like to see a scale of scopes based on this one factor if it exist. Drives me nuts feelin' like I'm looking through a water pipe.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 07:04
I have an Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7x32 and it has a very small sight picture with a lot of black around the view. Yes it does look like your looking through a tube. Most scopes have this but if the sight picture is big enought it doesnt bother me too much, I think Bushnell Elites have a slightly bigger and more comfortable view than the older Monarchs. Sightrons have a bigge view and have an image that comes out almost to the Eye piece rim but they also have very critical eye relief.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 20:27
What you are describing is referred to as "tunnel vision" or "tunnel effect."  Many scopes in all price brackets show this effect to some degree, especially at the lower end of the power range.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 21:26
If you want almost none of this effect, get a Swaro, the image appears to go edge to edge, in your site picture, it is a thing of beauty.

The "tunnel effect" is, more or less, when the image seems to pull back into the tube when you lower the magnification.  Many scopes do this to some degree, it isn't a problem unless it bothers you (it bothers me!)  Some scopes do it on all power setting, that really bothers some.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 21:35
I thought they called this the "Tasco Effect"......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 21:37
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I thought they called this the "Tasco Effect"......

Play nice!
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 10:32
to me[maybe i'm the odd one out here?] having a little black around the edge of the sight picture actually makes for more comfortable viewing. you feel like you can see all the sight picture. i've looked through scopes that had none of this, and to me that was not as comfortable.made you feel like you had to creep forward to see around the edges like kids do on a tv show!???
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 11:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

What you are describing is referred to as "tunnel vision" or "tunnel effect."  Many scopes in all price brackets show this effect to some degree, especially at the lower end of the power range.

I believe this forum coined that term, but as mentioned, many scopes have this, some Nikon's in particular.
Doesn't bother me as much as a scope with a drastic variable eye relief, like some Leupolds I've used.
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 12:03
Ever look through one of the older Swarovski's. They were some of the worst. I had a 3-12X56 which was tunnel visioned until you got it cranked up to 6 power or better. The new ones have none. Can be annoying though. Choose and purchase wisely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 12:05
I have a Swaro 3-10 AH and it is beautiful from 3 to 10X, no tunnel at all - the image goes edge-to-edge; looking through the scope, it's all reticle, no tube.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 12:34
Many times this can come from having the scope mounted to far back on the rifle. First test is to move your head forward and back on the rifle. If the tunnel vision goes away at some point then the scope may need to be adjusted in the rings for your head position. Many people crawl up on the scope and this will cause the tunnel vision to appear. This is not true for all but it is many times. When a shooter gets a gunsmith to mount a scope the smith mounts it usually for his shooting stance. Rarely will it be the same for the gun owner.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2009 at 12:11
I know exactly what's being described. Really irritating to me, especially when varmint hunting. That's why I'm getting rid of my 2 Nikon SF Buckmasters. For replacements, I'll check out Grandslams and maybe 4200's first, although it sounds like to some even the Elites are guilty of the problem.
Wonder if SWFA would refund money on a never-mounted scope if a purchaser wasn't satisfied because of something like this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic