OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First reloads - 22-250 Rem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First reloads - 22-250 Rem
    Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:45
Finally got the bench set up and was able to do some reloading.  So nice to be back into it.  Did some reloading for the 22-250 yesterday and took it out today.   Weather was not the best.  Windy 10-15 mph gusty.  Little bit of rain at the end.  Here are the results.

Load:  50 gr V-max, 35.7 gr Varget, OAL 2.35 in.   Group size: 1.176 in

Load: 50 gr V-max, 36 gr Varget, CCI 200 primer, OAL 2.4 in                    Group Size: 1 in

Load:  50 gr V-max, 36.3 gr Varget, CCI 200 primer, OAL 2.4 in             Group Size:  .922 in

There were no pressure signs on any of the cases.  I will probably keep working the powder load up, and the back off when I see signs.  Then play with the seating depth.  I was happy with the groups considering the weather, but I know that gun is capable of better (although, I may not be). 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:49
I did notice today that I could get a great group and then when I get to the last shot, I blow it.  I need to relax more and stop thinking about having to get a good group.  I think I am trying too hard, and that messes me up and opens the group up.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 04:03
I have the same problem. My one shot groups are normally the best!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 08:57
Looks like the reloads are a big improvement over the factory stuff.

Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Huh, I have the same thing too 8's!
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 15:29

I bow to your wisdom, Oh wise one   Bow  Now if only I would follow your advise!!!  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 02:45
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I bow to your wisdom, Oh wise one   Bow  Now if only I would follow your advise!!!  

It is all in trigger control. Just do not squeeze it the second time!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 03:02
Laugh Above   Thunbs Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 06:21

8-shots I bet with as many shots on game that you have your first shots are always the best! Just a matter of what you do the most.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 06:28
Helo, the group in the second pic, considering the conditions, looks to be the best. It might be a bit bigger than the last one, but looks like it is the most consistant as far as p.o.i. Just a guess though sisce I wasn't there.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 18:22
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I did notice today that I could get a great group and then when I get to the last shot, I blow it.  I need to relax more and stop thinking about having to get a good group.  I think I am trying too hard, and that messes me up and opens the group up.

Use the force...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 18:39
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Use the force...

Your other pet KB?  That is almost weird enough to use as an avatar.  But I just like the helicopter so much.

Anyway, I think I will load some more rounds and go shoot this weekend.  Supposed to be super hot (90+), but the wind shouldn't be blowing like last time.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:14
It's the REAL Yoda...
I'm going to shoot the .50 this weekend... FINALLY.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:27
I bet if I play with my reloads a little more, I can put all five shots in one of your holes!  Care to go gopher hunting?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:48

I bet if I play with my reloads a little more, I can put all five shots in one of your holes!  Care to go gopher hunting?

Helo, it's a good thing my mind is not as warped as some...

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:48
I will wager KB will get them deeper. Maybe have him shoot low, pop them up out the hole and you shoot them in the air.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:55
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Helo, it's a good thing my mind is not as warped as some...

Really?!?!?!  Big Smile

Seriously though, you could start the 2 mile club for gopher shooters.  Of course, you would probably need a spotter at that range.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:56
I would love to go gopher hunting with that BAAAD Boy.  Let me shoot it in a bit.  And _tens is right... shoot a little low with it and we can both get the same critter.  How good are you at shooting targets out of the air??

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I will wager KB will get them deeper. Maybe have him shoot low, pop them up out the hole and you shoot them in the air.

That would be interesting.  New form of skeet shooting?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 20:03

i know this may sound crazy, but have you ever thought of shooting on the lowest power your scope has so you cant tell how good your group is until you walk down to the targets?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 20:09
Better yet, iron sights...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic