OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cant
    Posted: June/21/2009 at 14:18
 I just noticed while  dry firing, that while on the bipod my rifle and reticle have a pretty severe cant. When I support with my off hand the cant goes away. The rifle is a stock savage model 11 with the tuppaware stock, and the bipod is from walmart. Just kinda wonderin which one to blame?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:20
You CANT (get it, can't/cant...) blame either one without testing.  You need to level the rifle, then check the scope, then try leveling the rifle on the bipod.  That should show you which is in need of correction. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:20
Neither. 

When you shoot from a bipod, either from a bench or prone, you tend to "scrunch up"
and that changes the angle of  the strong side shoulder in relation to your rifle, and in doing so, changes the shoulder "pocket" that we're told to place the rifle stock into.

When you extend the weak hand forward that angle changes, and the stock placement changes to accomodate what you feel, and the reticle changes position.

A shooter really has to consciously work on rifle placement and NPA ( natural point of aim) on a continual basis to prevent such things from occuring.  It's not a learn it-got it kind of thing, it's a checklist every time a shooter shoulders the rifle.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:57
I did some testing against a level line drawn on the garage wall. While on the bipod top of rifle canted towards right (trigger) hand. When I reach out with my weak hand the cant (in relation to level line) disappears. But thank you Mike for your input, npa, is something that I am working on very hard, as I tend to try muscle the cross hairs into possition. Most of my shooting is done in the desert, so working with less than ideal posititions.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:30
I am in Az right now, but it is quite a "hump" from here to there.  I think we could resolve your problem in short order.  Too bad.  Hard to get a real feel for the situtation without the rifle in hand and you close. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 19:54
virtually all shooters shoot with both cant and cast off and the more the body is in the same plane as the rifle bore axis the greater the problem. shot gun shooters correct the stock to the shooter, rifle shooters, train or use a tool such as a bubble on the scope or an electronic cant alert or in somecases adjustable recoil pads. . usually it only becomes a problem in the later decent part of the bullet trajectory.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 21:22
Cant can have a definite impact if you shoot at long ranges.  Here is some information

The only really important thing is that the reticle is level when you shoot.  The rifle can be canted

but the reticle must be level.

The best option is to align the centerline of the scope with the bore of the rifle when the rifle is uncanted, level the reticle and then be able to duplicate it in the field.

There are several ways to do this but the only one I have found to be foolproof (helps me out Big Grin) is this:

I use an EXD device

while the rifle is in a vise.  The EXD will align the axis of the scope and the bore and the level bubble will tell you when the rifle is uncanted

while the rifle is still locked down and now uncanted, I aim it out the door at a 4' level sitting on a fence 25 yards away.  Now I can rotate the scope in the rings until the reticle is level and carefully lock it down.  It is not easy and you will find out how much a scope will rotate from tightening the screws on one side sooner than the other.

At the same time you need to attache an anti-cant device and level it.  I prefer the ScopLevel

which will fold down when not in use and you can see over your ocular when taking the shot.

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 23:15
While not exactly good, my P.O.S. bipod broke while shooting this afternoon! It seems that one of the legs had worked loose. I didn't have the time or the tools to fix it in the field, so I picked up the pieces and finished shooting off an improvised rest. While not the best group in the world, it was also a new powder charge.And I admit freely that I am not the best shooter in the world! I am both out of practice and with out instruction!

Edited by billyburl2 - June/21/2009 at 23:20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 23:22
Btw where in AZ are you Kick?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 14:22
Beautiful Yuma... plenty of sunshine and "cool" breezes...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 22:18
What bringd you to the wonderful garden spot of ...Hell, um, I mean Yuma?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 20:26
Shooting things down, blowing things up...

Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 08:08

FYI ,I think USO makes a bubble level fo r the scope that tucks back in when not in use. Personally I’d use one if I regularly shot out past 4 or 5-undred, but here in oh  Hi oh  don’t get the chanc too ofin.. and the error from canting aint a huge concern when I’m ranging and trying to keep myself from fumblin around..

some days we just get stuck and bogged down, Some days all u can do is smile and wait for someone to kindly remove your butt from the hole you find it wedged into.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 01:01
Now you have an excuse to pick up a Harris and a pod-loc.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic