OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a bit of advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a bit of advice.
    Posted: June/21/2009 at 00:45
Hello chaps, having foolishly smashed the crummy package deal scope i got with my .243 around 2 years ago out of frustration (went off zero after two or three shots) im in the market for a new one. This here is a basic list of what the local store has in my price-range but im happy to pay more if i can find the right product.

*Bushnell Trophey 3-9X40
*Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10X40
*Tasco 3-9X40 (i forget the model)
*BSA Contender3-12X40

I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give, this is definatly not my area of expertise. The hunting i do is pretty all-round, here in NZ my hunting grounds vary immensly i could be hunting in snow or bush or open scree mountains. At the end of the day i just want something that will hold it's zero.

Thanks in advance for all your help, your expertise is very appreciated.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 06:07
Look for a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40. Best deal goin' in your price range. The Elite 3200 scopes are nice as well and can be had for less. Both feature Rainguard and should serve you well.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 07:26
  WELCOME to OT,MIKE!

I'd REALLY like to see you up your price range a bit. How much are you able to spend and what's available to you in that price range? Also what are you shooting?

jw's right on IF you could afford and have access to those Bushnell's(ESPCIALLY that 4200!!).
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 08:46

Of the ones listed, stay away from the Tasco and BSA.  Have you looked at www.samplelist.com for some deals?

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 08:49
My advice would be to take the advice from the pros on here. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 10:13
In the price range that you listed there isn't much in the way of quality but here are some exceptions. These are the scopes that I'd consider if it were me. Weaver makes a good rugged low cost scope and I own several in various sizes. A step up from there would be the Nikon Team Primos, I own two. One of my favorite scopes Nikon Monarch in 2-8x32 and I keep one on a 308. A close tie would be the Bushnell 4200.

$100-200US budget:
Weaver 4x38 Classic K Rifle Scope
Weaver 4x38 Classic K Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849415
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$134.95
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849405
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$179.95

$200-300 budget:
Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope
Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope
Stock # - 8435
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Team Primos
$219.95
Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8437
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
$289.95
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95
Of those you listed I'd stay away from the BSA and Tasco. The only Whitetail Classic that I own is a 6.5-20x50 and it's ok but I can't speak for the smaller one. Trophy's are a step down from the Weavers that I listed.

Edited by sholling - June/21/2009 at 10:17
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Dirty Mike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 20:06
Wow, thanks for the prompt replies guys. Lots of good advice here. In answer to some of your questions, I can spend maybe NZ$400 if I stretch it, and as NZ$1 = US$S0.65 thats about 250 US. But scopes are a bit dearer here too, for instance the Bushnell elite 3200 comes in at 460 NZ, just under 300 dollars US and the 4200. You guys get it good, haha. However it seems you guys all agree on the Bushnells and that lifetime warantee is tempting. The cost of ammo the way it is here i may as well just spend an extra $60 and not shoot it for a few weeks to make up the cost.

Here in New Zealand, my primary prey is feral goats and red deer, but occasionally the odd chamois and thar and wild pig. I got the .243 because it can deal to all of these and is kind of an oddball round here in NZ so ammo isn't snatched up the moment it hits the shelf.

Thanks again for all your professional advice, i will look for the 3200 or 4200 and see what sort of price i can get for em.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 20:11

Thunbs Up  GOOD LUCK,DM.  And if ya would,let us know how it works out for ya.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Dirty Mike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 00:24
I certainly will. Thanks again!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 09:15
I would look at the Bushnell Legend.  Glass is not quite as good as the 4200, but for a $140 scope it is pretty good to my eyes.  It is a pretty tough scope as well.  At the moment I have mine mounted on a .243 semi auto and it is doing well.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-Legend-Rifle-Scopes-C73.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic