OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley LW vs Dednutz Rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley LW vs Dednutz Rings?
    Posted: June/18/2009 at 15:20
I have a rifle with a model 700 action (30-06) and a 42mm scope.  I have been thining about using either Talley LW ring or Dednutz scope rings? 
Med. height should work.  It won't be a problem with the large rear bell scope (Kahles / Zeiss type) will it?
What rings would you go with?  And why?
SSgtSmitty
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 20:29
I am sure the Dednutz are very well made. They obviously look it.
The Talley's look far better, IMO, and no doubt are very strong. I have been dealing with Dave Talley and, then, Gary Turner for years and are, therefore, biased. I like Talley's based on the fact that I own a bunch of their vertical split ring steel mounts.
If Sholling comes around, he has both and can give more insight.

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 20:56

I have no experience with Dednutz mounts other than looking at their website, and reading their claims. Some of the claims are extravagant, and some kinda silly.

First, 1-piece bases are not necessarily stronger than 2-piece bases. There are other factors involved. And Talley makes some 1-piece bases for rifles as well, such as the T/C single-shots.

Dednutz offer to refund your money of the mounts don't align correctly. Well, factory rifle actions vary too much for any kind of mount to ALWAYS align correctly. Talley can machine their mounts to line up on YOUR rifle for a reasonable fee.

I have been using Talley rings of both the steel and aluminum types for many years and they are a quality company.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 03:56
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 06:06
  THANKS for the input,JB. I was wondering about alignment myself. Wouldn't take much misalignment to flex a scope tube.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SSgtSmitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 07:58
Okay I'll be getting medium rings.  Only real question now is what ones?  My scope is a Kahles 3-9X42 CL if that helps.  Is it long enough for the Dednutz or should I just buy the Talley's?
Thanks for the help guys.
SSgtSmitty
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 20:47
Come on guys, Talley LW or Dednutz rings.
I think either will do, what is going to be the best for me? 
My set up is an H-S precision 30-06 built on a Rem model 700 action (H-S flutted barrel & H-S stock).  My scope is a Kahles 3--9X42 CL w plex reticle.
I COULD USE THE INPUT / HELP.  The OT maffia goty me this far, I bought the Kahles NIB off the Sample List for $529.95.
Thanks,
SSgtSmitty

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 00:34
For what it is worth I believe Chris and Chris II both use Talley LW.   I have Talley LW on both my Sav 270 and Browning 308.  Love the clean simple look and high quality of the Talley LWs!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 11:03
  I wanta be fair to Dednutz (hurts just saying Dednutz!!) here so I'll say that I haven't had any experience with them but what few experiences I've read of have been positive. Having said that though,I LIKE my Tally LW's and to me they seem to be the most recommended set-up on the forums I frequent.  Hope this helped some Smitty.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 11:26
I would go with Talley. Disregarding the mechanics of both, I think the Talley LW looks way better. Your gun sounds like it looks good, too............great match up.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 10:49
My scope will be here in the mail today.  I'm really pumped up about it.  I just need to get my rings now.   I've got a H-S Precision 30-06 and a Kahles scope. 
Talley LW Pro's - They will be less weight.  They look good and will not mess with the chamber area of my rifle (for loading / ejecting of spent cartriges). 
Talley LW Con's - I've real things about the Talley rings doing damage to the sope tube (scratches ect.) and I've never had a scope lapped (I don't know how to do that). 
Dednutz Pro's -  They look strong as hell.  They are a one peice setup and will be easy to mount.
Dednutz Con's - They may get in the way / mess with the chamber area of the rifle (loading ect.)  They are not as will known as the Talley company. 
SSgtSmitty    
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:04

If you're worried about the strength of Talley LW's, don't be.

The first experience I ever had with them was on my wife's New Ultra Light Arms .270. Melvin Forbes of NULA designed and had the LW's manufactured by another firm long before Talley started making them, and ships a pair with every rifle. I mounted a 2-7x Bausch & Lomb Compact and worked up a very accurate load with 130-grain Nosler Partitions. The rifle weighed exactly six pounds with scope and mount, so recoil was somewhat higher than a normal .270's.

Eileen sighted the rifle in 2" high at 100 yards. She hunted with it for the next 10 years, both here in Montana and in various other places, including a couple of caribou hunts where the rifle went on several plane and boat rides. Every year just before hunting season we'd go to the range and she'd fire one shot at 100 yards, which would land two inches high. And we'd go hunting.

The scope eventually came apart after 10 years, but the mounts never budged.

Talley started making the mounts a few years ago after the first manufacturer Melvin Forbes used went out of business. The folsk at Talley asked if they could make them for other rifles and Melvin said sure. They are just as tough as the originals, if not tougher. I have them on a number of rifles, some with much more recoil than a NULA .270, and have never experiences the slightest problem.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2009 at 03:11
I've got a pair of the lightweights holding a 4.5-14x44 Conquest to a 6.5 lb. .300 Wby, and have no fear. They are a solid mount.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic