OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bud's New Savage 12BTV in 223

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bud's New Savage 12BTV in 223
    Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:34
Well guys, its been a long wait but I finally have my 223.  Here she is.
That isn't the hubble mounted on top but close.  Its a ATN Profesional
6-18X65 with Illuminated Reticle.  The new Shooter Demoing the gun is
my grandson Aiden, 7 months old.

No No  My Blue Bird of Happines is still on strike.  When I turned to put the camera down Aiden
pushed over the rifle and the damn front ring broke.  It was only finger tight for the photos so I don't thing it should have broke, but break it did.  So now I gotta see if I can get a replacement.

Sometimes I just don't like God's sense of humor!  Right now it sucks to be me! Sad
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:40
Ouch, who makes those rings!!

Nice pic of your new toy and grandson!! Thunbs Up

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:46

Cute kid and nice rifle! Sorry about your luck!

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:54
Thanks Mike!  Grandson's a cute little turd, always happy!
I am enjoying the H#ll out of him!

The rings came with the scope (30mm) and 6 cams for the range finder.
6 different calibers to choice from.  This is the scope that kickboxer offered to the mafia before putting it on teh 458Lott list.  I have no idea how many guns it has been on.  It has only the faintest of ring marks on the scope.  With the long slot in that side of the ring it is obviously a mechanical weak spot.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:57

I think I am going to start calling Aiden, BAM-BAM  Clown

--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:59
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Thanks for teh compliments!

As far as the luck goes...I am used to it  (its very consistant)
--Thomas Jefferson

swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 03:40

+1 on the young 'un and gun.    You musta got your luck from the same place that I got mine.....
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 05:58
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

+1 on the young 'un and gun.    You musta got your luck from the same place that I got mine.....

I got mine from Murphy's a Optimist Store, how about you?
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 09:50
Doesn't take long for the little rascals to get into trouble.  Many years ago got off my snowmobile to roll up the garage door and foolishly left my young daughter on it with the engine running.  Next thing I saw was the skis' coming through the door.  Luckily no one injured.  Must have taken all of about 6 seconds. 
God save the Empire!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 09:51
p.s.

nice rifle Bud, cute kid - tough luck about the mount!
God save the Empire!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 10:27
Nice rifle Bud. The rings should have been able to take more punishment. At least if she shoots all over the place you know where to start looking! The rings.
Hope it shoots well for you!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 10:41
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Doesn't take long for the little rascals to get into trouble.  Many years ago got off my snowmobile to roll up the garage door and foolishly left my young daughter on it with the engine running.  Next thing I saw was the skis' coming through the door.  Luckily no one injured.  Must have taken all of about 6 seconds. 

They are QUICK little bugers ain't they?  I was sitting right there and just turned and leaned over to put the camera on the coffee table. 1 maybe 1.5 seconds was all. Clown 
I think he was waiting for me to look away.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 11:02
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Nice rifle Bud. The rings should have been able to take more punishment. At least if she shoots all over the place you know where to start looking! The rings.
Hope it shoots well for you!

Thanks Wouter. I agree, the rings should be able to take much more abuse that that!  ATN supplies everything with the scope, which is nice.  I need that offset foot on this ring or I will have to go to a piccatinny rail to get the necessary clearance needed.  The turret assembly is longer than most cause of the built in BDC.

It's driving me crazy to have to wait to shoot the new stick!  I have about half decided to pull the Vortex Crossfire Mil-dot off my 308 to use.  I hate pulling off a scope once it  is dialed in.
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 21:15
at least the stock didnt break. cute kid and a sexy rifle.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 06:34
ALRIGHTY THEN..... Lets try this again!

After a few weeks delay ATN sent me (free of charge) a new set of steel rings with lateral adjustment capability on both and 20 MOA offset bushings.  The rings are HEAVY and TALL, but give me all the adjustability I could want!  I only wish they weren't so Tall, that 65mm scope sits way up off the barrel.  Other than that they definitely do the job!

Here is the stick with the the Scope remounted!

--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 06:40
OK, now let's see those target pictures (after shooting, of course)...

Nice looking rig.  Don't know how I missed this until now... perhaps being in Az.  Very cute grandson.  Looks like he will be a great help in future endeavors, as well. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 06:55
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Thanks Mike!  Grandson's a cute little turd, always happy!
I am enjoying the H#ll out of him!

The rings came with the scope (30mm) and 6 cams for the range finder.
6 different calibers to choice from.  This is the scope that kickboxer offered to the mafia before putting it on teh 458Lott list.  I have no idea how many guns it has been on.  It has only the faintest of ring marks on the scope.  With the long slot in that side of the ring it is obviously a mechanical weak spot.

I used tall steel Millet Angle-Loc rings on Weaver bases on the Voere, never used the rings that came with the scope.  I left them in place on the Voere to mount the Diavari.  Zeroed in one shot. 
I think the rings ATN sent you will perform similarly to the Millets. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 06:56
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

ALRIGHTY THEN..... Lets try this again!

After a few weeks delay ATN sent me (free of charge) a new set of steel rings with lateral adjustment capability on both and 20 MOA offset bushings.  The rings are HEAVY and TALL, but give me all the adjustability I could want!  I only wish they weren't so Tall, that 65mm scope sits way up off the barrel.  Other than that they definitely do the job!

Here is the stick with the the Scope remounted!

--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 07:11
Well, it looks "READY"...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic