OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski ELvsSLC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski ELvsSLC
    Posted: June/16/2009 at 18:47

Ok, guys I did some searches on here and had kinda mixed messages. From my understanding the new slc models should be the same optically as the el models the el models just have the lighter housing is this correct? Thanks

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 22:39
There are some differences in the El and the SLC, things that may be known only to Swarovski.
These things would be differences in glass composition, coatings, etc. Some on here may have closely compared them both.  And everyones eyes will prefer a different view. You cannot call them the same, because they are not.
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 07:32
I had the same questions about two years ago when I was searching for a new set of high grade binoculars so I called the Swarovski Company in Rhode Island.  They told me that both the SLC and ELs in the newer models in the last 2-3 years have the same glass and the same coatings.  The main difference in the two are the body design and weight.  I went with the SLC myself because they felt better in my hand and I liked the extra weight.  Plus I thought the SLC would hold up better over time then the open bridge EL's.  Both are excellent binoculars and you can't go wrong with either one but why spend the extra $$ unless you have a surplus?  I looked at all of the big three binoculars and what convinced me to buy the swarovski was their customer service and warrenty.  They have the best in the business bar none.  Plus I liked the way they felt in my hands and I have a friend that ownes a gun shop and can use any scope or binocular that is made and he prefers the swarovski.  Hope this helps.  Thanks, birdhunter66
D. Holmes
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 09:50
I have heard the same thing as bird_hunter66.
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 10:47
Thanks guys, thats what I thought.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 15:09
But I thought EL looks signficantly longer and bigger than SLC.  I never had a chance to put them side by side though. Maybe the open bridge style can cause some false impression of size
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 15:19
I have SLCnew in 7x42 and their definitely heavier than my 10x42 EL's.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 15:41
I have never had to deal with the Swarovski Customer service but I did have my Zeiss T FLs repaired and they were also great to deal with.
abailey54
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 08:59
Swarovski Customer Service is up there with the best.  I've always been pleased when dealing with them.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 15:19
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

Swarovski Customer Service is up there with the best.  I've always been pleased when dealing with them.

+1

SONA'a one of the best CS departments I've ever dealt with.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 11:01
Originally posted by bird_hunter66 bird_hunter66 wrote:

They told me that both the SLC and ELs in the newer models in the last 2-3 years have the same glass and the same coatings.

That would explain why, to my eye, there seemed to be no difference in quality between my Swaro rangefinder's SLC glass and the top-of-the-line ED 10x42 binos that my friend has.
Reaction time is a factor...
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 00:10
Hello Mike, as I understood you have both the SLC 7x and the EL 10x, and I would like to know which are the differences between them in image quality, brightness etc..

Besides >I have just bought  the zeiss 8x42 FL, because I read on different forums that they are the best for low light situations,(hunting)  however I have the impression that they need a little more sharpness when glassing in daylight at long distances.... (over 800 yds) and they have a little image distortion at the edge of the tube, it´s my impression and want to know which is your opinion side by side to  the  swaros you have...

regards......
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 23:09
Originally posted by Agustinmx Agustinmx wrote:

Hello Mike, as I understood you have both the SLC 7x and the EL 10x, and I would like to know which are the differences between them in image quality, brightness etc..

Besides >I have just bought  the zeiss 8x42 FL, because I read on different forums that they are the best for low light situations,(hunting)  however I have the impression that they need a little more sharpness when glassing in daylight at long distances.... (over 800 yds) and they have a little image distortion at the edge of the tube, it´s my impression and want to know which is your opinion side by side to  the  swaros you have...

regards......

I just spent some time playing with both in medium/low and low light conditions. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the SLCnew 7x and EL 10x. Maybe if they were of the same power I might have. The sweet spot for both models is wonderful. The SLC's are definitely heavier and I like the focus wheel of the EL's way better. The ergonomic feel of both is different as well and for my hands I like the EL's a little better. I like both series and you can't go wrong with either one.

Edited by mike650 - June/30/2009 at 11:29
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 08:27
In compairing the SLC and the EL's while quality glass, both models have not be upgraded for over 10 yesrs.... Leica has upgraded their top quality glass two times in the past 5 or 6 years... Something to think about when investing your $$$ in "alpha binos".   NV Hunter   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic