OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stock refinishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock refinishing
    Posted: June/16/2009 at 07:43

Here is a set of stock to a single shot I’m working on. As you can see they wood is in bad shape. So far I have striped and sanded for 4 hours and I’m almost ready for stain. I’ll keep you posted on each step as I go along.

What I started with

After the striping and sanding.I still have a few hours of fine tuning the checkering before the stain.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 08:12
Looking good Brandon, how did you clean up the checkering?
God save the Empire!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 08:22
I take and let the striper sit in the checkering for a few minutes and take a nylon brush and scrub it fairly hard. you have got to be careful as the striper will soften the wood and you can screw the checkering up really fast ( scrub with the grooves and not aginst). then I'll take some 600 grit sand paper and a small file after the wood dries out and lightly sand it out and let it full dry for a few days and then stain it. When you stain it use a stiff brush in the checkering and then blow the extra out with air and wipe it off and stain the rest of the wood.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:05
That's way cool, BD.  I am going to start on the .458 WinMag pretty soon.  I was conflicted over the checkering.  You convinced me. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:07
If you run into any problems call me. the key to the checkering is to take it SLOW and pay close attention and not hit it with sand paper, but if you do we can fix it.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:37
I new you wuznt jest another purty face BD!
God save the Empire!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:40

You trying to ruin my rep Dogger

I know more than I lead people to believe.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:46
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:48
There's mikey and that damn popcorn - I get indigestion just looking at it!
God save the Empire!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:59
Big Grin...I wish it were something else believe me, not a huge popcorn fan.

Interesting stuff though.

Great job BD, keep us "in the loop" when completed.

Edited by mike650 - June/16/2009 at 13:13
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 13:02
10-4 Mike. I have a few coats of tru oil and maybe a coat of linseed oil and some buffing and sealing. it will be a few weeks but I'll keep u'ins posted on how they turn out.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 10:14

mike, since you're not fond of popcorn I suggest this emoticon - fits in better with BD's outlook on life anyway.

God save the Empire!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 10:33
Dogger, BD is refinishing stocks, not making a spanking paddle.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 10:35
True, but he could always diversify!
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 17:49
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

True, but he could always diversify!

WHAT?
Dogger are you out of your mind???? 

How many personalities does he have to have before you call him diversified?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 18:07
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

mike, since you're not fond of popcorn I suggest this emoticon - fits in better with BD's outlook on life anyway.

Uhhh, that's a chore for Mrs. BD.  Big Grin
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 20:50
what method are you going to use to complete the stock.  matte finish, satin, semi-gloss, gloss etc.?  how are you going to fill the pores, with a pore filler or with the slurry method?  the matte finish or oil finish can be achieved several ways, if you are going this route, which method are you going to choose?  just curious, custom and semi-custom rifle making is a hobby of mine and wood a metal refinishing is my forte.  a typical stock from scratch, ie, one from richard's microfit or other supplier can take upward 40 to 60 hours to get just right, sometimes as little as 10 hours depending on the grade of stock and the desired result.  looks great to me so far.  very interested in the final results.  the checkering looks fantastic.  great work.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 05:50
Who wooda thunk BD wood be so good wif a toof brush! Here Ye Here Ye
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 16:48
HEY BIGDADDY!!!!!    Bucky

Do you re-checker stocks??   
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2009 at 09:45
alright guy. I finaly made it back to the stocks. These stock are from an older single shot 4-10. this is a pictuer after 2 coats of stain. Firts was dark walnut second was ebony. as you can see the wood wouldn't take the stain in some places as the grain is very tight but did in others. I showed them to the guy and he liked the (calaco) look. This pic is after the buffing of the coat of ebony. As you can see they don't look real good at this point. They look dirty to me.

This is a picture after the first coat of tru oil hand rubed in. This brought the looks way up.

So far i'm 1/4 done with them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic