OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

right hight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: right hight
    Posted: June/14/2009 at 16:11
how can i tell if my scope is 1.5in from center of my bore?  i hope the is right forum i posted in two forums.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 19:47
measure it?

Just a guess..........................
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 20:20

If you need to know exactly how high it is, you will want to take your measurements with a dial or digital calipers. Depending on the type of firearm, you may be able to open the bolt and measure from the firing pin, (centerfires only), to the top of the scope tube. Then subtract half the tube diameter (in thousandths)  to get your answer.

For most purposes, you should be able to get pretty close by eyeballing along a ruler, especially from the rear.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 21:05
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

measure it?

Laugh Above                            Roll on Floor Laughing
Roll on Floor Laughing
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 22:53
NO sh*t REALLY !!!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOUR SMART!
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 22:54
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

measure it?

NO sh*t REALLY !!!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOUR SMART!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 12:44
Hunter, I would not get so caught up in the 1.5 inch HAB number.  You should concentrate more on what height is good for you.  It requires some experimentation.  1.5 in is a "base number", not a "best" number. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:21
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Hunter, I would not get so caught up in the 1.5 inch HAB number.  You should concentrate more on what height is good for you.  It requires some experimentation.  1.5 in is a "base number", not a "best" number. 

Ahh well if that's what my scope & rings are set @ then I'm doing good. everything  is right there when i throw up on the scope.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:33
You do need to know the actual HAB if you are calculating ballistic trajectory for a particular load. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:49
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

Ahh well if that's what my scope & rings are set @ then I'm doing good. everything  is right there when i throw up on the scope.

Wait a minute.

You throw up on your scope?

Like this?  Pukers 

Whatever for?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:14

everything  is right there when i throw up on the scope.

Hope you have Rainguard
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:33
Roll on Floor Laughing

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 19:12

Shocked 
                     Let me try and save this thread.  Boresighters/collimators are set up for their grid center be  1 1/2" above the center of the bore(at least mine is for sure). So,adjust the scope reticle to be centered in the scope and see where it aligns on the grid. If your grid center and reticle center don't line up and you know the grid graduation values you should be able to determine your HAB by adding to or subtracting from that 1 1/2" std. Ya think?
                     Anyways,like Kb,I don't get caught up in the HAB thing. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 23:46
I usually save the vomitting for after the 5th round of a 5 round group!!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 03:18
Now this thread was neat! Informative, yet entertaining!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 15:36
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Shocked 
                     Let me try and save this thread.  Boresighters/collimators are set up for their grid center be  1 1/2" above the center of the bore(at least mine is for sure). So,adjust the scope reticle to be centered in the scope and see where it aligns on the grid. If your grid center and reticle center don't line up and you know the grid graduation values you should be able to determine your HAB by adding to or subtracting from that 1 1/2" std. Ya think?
                     Anyways,like Kb,I don't get caught up in the HAB thing. 
Thanks for trying to save it, i think it a little late.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 15:39
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Wait a minute.

You throw up on your scope?

Like this?  Pukers 

Whatever for?
Damn this must be time to pick on the new guy or is just more of the hazing i heard about????Smoking Bandit

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 15:53
  Neither!  Believe it or not it's got nothing to do with you.  You just tossed em' something to play with!  We get bored sometimes.  Bucky
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 15:56
yeah well i guess i need to be a little more careful of what i say. also need to come on more and whatever one is talking & start giving sh*t back i guess

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 16:12
  Don't know about giving "sh*t" back but just remember the next time someone else slips up.  Around here pay backs are H*LL in a fun kinda way.  DON'T take anything here personal cause NO ONE here means it to be or they aren't here long.  Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic