OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OK, down to 3. Which one is best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK, down to 3. Which one is best?
    Posted: June/14/2009 at 08:31

Has anyone idea about how the glass in these three compares in the dark for Varmint hunting:

1) Leupold VX3  4-15x50
2) Sightron Siii 6-24x56
3) Trijicon 5-20x50

All have illum recticle options and are similarly priced. I really like the fine duplex option on the Leupold. For both day and evening shooting I guess Id be shooting up to 300 yds, but mostly 200 yds. From previous experience I have noticed that I tend to use 15x magnification mostly, as the scope gets a harder to use on higher magnification. Therefore Im wondering if 14x zoom on the Leupold is enough...... or limiting?

I have never owned/used illuminated recticle but I guess it opens up new possibilities in the low light hours. I dont know anyone that has Sightron or Trijicon but some friends have Leupolds and they seem to be good and reliable. I wonder though how much Im paying for the 24k gold ring on the Leupold, I really dont care for it - GOOD GLASS and reliability is my main concern.

Thanks for your time and input, it really means alot to hear from experienced shooters. Bow
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 09:49
I have a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 duplex with green dot and it's the best night hunting scope I've tried. Second choice would be a Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x50 ill. I have never used more than 8x at night. In my experience both Trijicon and Bushnell 4200 gather more light than Leupold VX III/VX-3 scopes.

No experience with Sightron so can't comment.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 11:43
The Weaver Classic Extreme is also a very good scope and at $300 bucks is the best deal going.I have all three brands and like the Weaver a tad better than the 4200.The Leupold cost more and is the least brightest/clearest.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 13:07
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

I have a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 duplex with green dot and it's the best night hunting scope I've tried. Second choice would be a Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x50 ill. I have never used more than 8x at night. In my experience both Trijicon and Bushnell 4200 gather more light than Leupold VX III/VX-3 scopes.

No experience with Sightron so can't comment.

Have you used the "new" Leupold vx-3 scope at night?? It's different than the vx-III. Just curious with the results.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 13:58

+1 on Mr. Wilson's comment. The Sightron Big Sky is a good choice too. My vote is Trijicon unless you want to rely on batteries.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 11:22
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

+1 on Mr. Wilson's comment. The Sightron Big Sky is a good choice too. My vote is Trijicon unless you want to rely on batteries.

Have you tried the new vx3 at night?? I'm not sure I've read many low light/night condition reviews about this scope on the OT to really know how it performs vs. the old vx-III model.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 11:52
Mike650 - that is just what I was thinking - how does the NEW VX3 perform in low light compared to the older model????

Id really like to know if its a performer, Im looking at this one

Edited by shooter4 - June/16/2009 at 11:55
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:00
Here is a member review on the VX3

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:03
Originally posted by shooter4 shooter4 wrote:

Mike650 - that is just what I was thinking - how does the new VX3 perform in low light compared to the older model????

Id really like to know if its a performer, Im looking at this one

10-4.

Here's one review I found from Lucytuma: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15153

Hope it helps. Smile
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:04
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Thanks Doug!! Big Grin
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:31
Thanks
Ive some experience with the Zeiss conquest with 1 inch tube. I liked the glass and clarity on that. Anyone knows how the new VX3 compares?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 12:39
This might help. It's not gospel but used to assist.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8185
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 13:08
I just ordered the leo VX-3 4.5x14x40 Long Range 30mm tube with the special turret made just for my 270wsm Kimber. It should be here here in another week or so. Its specifically made for a 130gr,TSX hand load. I will keep you guys on how it does. I know nothing of the other scopes.

Thanks JF
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 13:11
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I'll take the Meopta!!!     Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 13:31
I read that, Thats a great review on the VX-3! Im glad you sent that Mr. Ed. I cannot wait ot get the new VX-3 mounted..
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 14:10
If you plan to use the scope in very low light, Trijicon's illuminated reticle is the way to go.

ILya
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by shooter4 shooter4 wrote:

Thanks
Ive some experience with the Zeiss conquest with 1 inch tube. I liked the glass and clarity on that. Anyone knows how the new VX3 compares?

I'll try and help but there are differences between the scopes features;

a.  Zeiss Conquest, Z-Plex, 4.5-14x50, 1" Tube. 

b.  Leupold VX-3, Thin Duplex, 8.5-25x50, 30mm Tube

c.  Nikon Monarch, Thin Cross Hair with Target Dot, 6.5-20x44, 1" tube.

Low Light:  I looked into a dark wooded area approximently 100 yards away.  It was back in March around 9:00PM.  IMO, the Zeiss had better clarity (sharpness).  It also had better light gathering capability but only by a very slight margin.  The Leupold had warmer colors, whereas the Zeiss's colors tended to be cooler.  The Nikon came in last but it was still looking pretty darn good and of course, it was handi-capped because of the lens opening.

Eye Relief throught the entire power lever:  Advavtage Zeiss.  The Leupold VX-3 has very generous eye relief but one has to readjust ,slightly on the upper end of the power range.  With the Zeiss, I didn't but remember, mine doesn't go as high as my Leupold.  The Nikon had good eye relief, just not as much of it.

Clarity:  In broad daylight.  I set up some International small bore targets at 200 yards.  It was bright and clear and the mirage was moderate to heavy.  They were all very close though.

-  On 20x:  Leupold.   Remember, thats the max setting for the Nikon.

-  On 16x:  Toss-up (Nikon & Leupold).

-  On 12x:  Zeiss.

Reticle Contrast  Zeiss, hands down.  They are the darkest I've seen but I've never looked through a Nightforce or US Optics.  Just the other night I was in a local store and I was looking at a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with a Rapid Z-800 reticle.  I aimed it toward a room that was litterlty black (kinda' like a movie theater) and I could make out the broad reticles quite easily.  The small tic-marks, nothing doing.  I was comparing it to a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with a Boone & Crockett reticle.  The B&C reticle had a gold illuminated look to it.

Reticle adjustments:  Leupold.  They're precise, firm and audible.  The Zeiss is pretty good too.  The Nikon's are musy in comparision.

I don't profess to be an expert but I've learned quite a bit here.  At some point I'll read more and test for edge-to-edge resolution.

HTH

Edited by tjtjwdad - June/16/2009 at 20:25
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 20:43

Thanks 4 your input man. Thats an eye opener.

I guess the new VX3 is better than the VXiii. I really like the fine duplex for daytime hunting/ target shooting. What amazes me is to read how well the Zeiss is performing - even with the smaller 1" tube its really delivering great picture (maybe the best of these 3).
If I understand you right you say its quite easy to see the Zeiss Zplex recticle in low light. If so it could even mean there is not absolute need for illuminated recticle for me.

It would be really neat to know if the Conquest has better optics than the much talked about new Trijicon?

:-)
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 20:53
i agree with mr koshkin, the trijicon is the way to go.  adjustable rheostat, so to speak, terrific optics, great light transmission and durable construction.  all of the scopes are good, but again, as i say, see if you can try them out, then make your decision.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 21:10
Nice write up there tjtjwdad!! Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic