OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Offset Rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offset Rings
    Posted: June/13/2009 at 11:54
Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions here.  I'm still trying to mount my Leupold Ultralight Scope on my Ruger M77 Ultralight.  The problem is still eye relief.  It's almost there, but still not just right.

It's been suggested that I try a set of the Ruger Offset Rings to allow for more room.  I really can't afford another scope right now, so I'll have to do with what I have.

My question is what are the pros and cons using these rings?  I'm looking at loading and ejection.  Have you had any problems with these functions?

I know that Big Squeeze is not a fan of these, I do appreciate his thoughts (he does know his stuff!), but I think I'll be forced into this type of mounting system.

Your thoughts please!

All the best!

Greg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:18
what caliber of rifle are you mounting it on??

i find it hard to believe that a loopie wouldnt give you enough relief to work with.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:19
  Pro's are that they do what they're suppose to.  Con's are supposedly they're weaker than std's(I've never had problems) and some guys think they don't look COOL.  Do what you have to do.  I've got an M77 in .243 Win so I know what your dealing with.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:27
Hello all, sorry about the lack of info.  It's a Ruger M77 Ultralight in .308.  Hope this helps!

All the best!

Greg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:38
I'm having a difficult time understanding how a short action is giving eye relief mounting problems. I wish I could see it then I would be able to possibly understand. Stare
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:51

I'm guessing it's a LOP issue. Mine is 13.75" which is TOO long for me.

Greg,is yours a tang safety model?  Not that it would matter if LOP is a problem.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:54
That was what I was thinking too..... That could be corrected with out the scope mount problems though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:00
Hi all, the LOP is a bit long for me.  I don't want to cut the stock.  This M77 is one of the Talo edition ultrlights (1 of 200 made).  The wood is just beautiful, so cutting is out of the question for me.

The scope is a Leupold 3x9 Ultralight.  The eye relief is almost there as I said, but it could be better than what it is. 

Thanks again all!

Greg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:02
  Gotta remember,Greg,the LOP will be longer with more clothing on.

Wish you could post a pic! I've never seen or even heard of one of those. 

Edited by 300S&W - June/13/2009 at 13:05
gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:08

Hi, 300, yep, already have that factored in.  LOP is fine in short sleeve shirts, but with my hunting cloths on, it's long.

I have the same problem with my shotguns (I'm really a shotgunner at heart).  My LOP for them is 14 to 14 1/4 depending on the gun.

Thanks again!

Greg
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:18
Call Ruger, get another stock (saving the good stock of course), cut it to proper LOP and mount pad and you should be good to go.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:26
Greg!...............Thanks for the compliment!! Are you referring to the 2-7x28 Ultralite? What cartridge is your Ruger Ultralite chambered in?

No!...I`m not a fan of offsetting rings mainly because of their looks. With the exception of the scope tube, it just looks cleaner with nothing over any part the action. I don`t think you`ll have a interference problem with loading and ejecting using (MINIMAL) offsets. 

On my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier, the distance between my Ruger rings, is 4 and 11/16."  I have a feeling though that on your rifle the distance is more, as Ruger Ultralites aren`t chambered in the shorty mags. On my rifle, the distance of 4 and 11/16" is measured from the front ring side (closest to the muzzle) to the rear ring side (closest to the rifle butt). What is your outside ring, to outside ring measurement?? What is the total mounting tube length on that scope? It`s obvious after mounting, that you have little to no forwards or backwards scope movement to satisfy your eye relief.

Since it appears you`ll need to go the offset route for now, get matching offsets (for both sides if possible; looks better imo if both sides match) and the minimal amount of offset you`ll need, so you will have the minimal amount of offset protruding over the action.

Later down the road, you can always change to another scope with a longer mounting tube and dump the offsets. Or, you may like it just the way it is using the offsets without changing anything, as long as there is no interference with loading and ejecting.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:27
I bet you mean that the dang Leupold has got TOO MUCH eye relief and you are trying to get the scope away from you.......................correct?? 

Solution:  GET ANOTHER SCOPE.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:00
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Greg!...............Thanks for the compliment!! Are you referring to the 2-7x28 Ultralite? What cartridge is your Ruger Ultralite chambered in?

No!...I`m not a fan of offsetting rings mainly because of their looks. With the exception of the scope tube, it just looks cleaner with nothing over any part the action. I don`t think you`ll have a interference problem with loading and ejecting using (MINIMAL) offsets. 

On my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier, the distance between my Ruger rings, is 4 and 11/16."  I have a feeling though that on your rifle the distance is more, as Ruger Ultralites aren`t chambered in the shorty mags. On my rifle, the distance of 4 and 11/16" is measured from the front ring side (closest to the muzzle) to the rear ring side (closest to the rifle butt). What is your outside ring, to outside ring measurement?? What is the total mounting tube length on that scope? It`s obvious after mounting, that you have little to no forwards or backwards scope movement to satisfy your eye relief.

Since it appears you`ll need to go the offset route for now, get matching offsets (for both sides if possible; looks better imo if both sides match) and the minimal amount of offset you`ll need, so you will have the minimal amount of offset protruding over the action.

Later down the road, you can always change to another scope with a longer mounting tube and dump the offsets. Or, you may like it just the way it is using the offsets without changing anything, as long as there is no interference with loading and ejecting.

Hi Big Squeeze, thanks again for another great and informative post!  I always learn something from you.  Thanks!!

Anyway, the outside to outside distance on my current Ruger rings is 4 9/16"  The forward tube allowance is 2".  I just need a tad bit more room, but I can't get it.  If I could move the scope back more, I'd be all set.  It appears that the offset is about my best option.

Looks on the rings I can deal with (except for wood...I'm a wood nut), but I'm concerned about the functioning with these rings.  Any thoughts?

Again, thanks so much!!!

All the best!!

Greg
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 03:37
Tried posting but couldn`t. "Page cannot be displayed" This is a test. 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 04:31
Ok! My last test post got through!! So I`ll try this again.

Greg!...........Your Ultralite has a listed mounting tube length of 5.5" and is enough for a .308 action under most circumstances.

Here is where I think your problem lies with this particular scope. On the 3x, you have 4" of eye relief, but set on the 9x, you have only 3" of eye relief. 

For scopes that have a 1" variance in eye relief going from low to the high magnification, in order to avoid offsets, you need enough mounting tube length to make the necessary adjustment either by moving the scope backward or forward as needed for the best possible eye relief in all magnifications. You need proper turret positioning on the scope tube to allow enough lee-way to properly position the scope without the turret hitting the ring. And you need the proper distance between the rings to allow enough backward and forward movement of the scope. The outer distance between your rings is 4 and 9/16ths, while your max mounting tube length listing is 5.5"..If you had a more consistent or a shorter variance in eye relief, such as 4" down to 3.25"  or 3.5"), you might not be needing any offsetting rings.    

Along with a comfortable LOP, all these other things go hand in hand in order to avoid offsets, especially with a 1" difference in the eye relief dept.  

gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 05:31
Thanks again Big Squeeze!!  I think the main problem with this whole issue is the LOP on the stock.  The stock has a LOP of 13 7/8"  (closer to 14").  Which for me is a long LOP on a rifle.  The rifle itself is a M77, MkII action, but the gun was restocked (really made) for Talo in circassian walnut.  Why the LOP is so long, who knows!!

I don't want to cut the stock. I'd like to leave the rifle as is. They only made 200 of these rifles.  I can shoulder it with no problems, just the eye relief.  I looked into replacing the pad with a plate but I would not gain much.

I know some may say, if they only made 200 why are you going to hunt with it.  Why not.  I hunt with some nice higher end SxS's.  Guns to me are to be enjoyed in the field, not just to look at.  That of course is my take.

Again, thanks Big Squeeze, I always learn from you!

All the best!

Greg
gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 06:27
Hi, I forgot to mention.   Last night I mounted the scope on my Remington Model 7 that has a normal (shorter) LOP.  There were no problems with eye relief at all.  Thus, I do believe that the problem is the rifles LOP.

Thanks so much!!

Greg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 07:12
  Ruger has an offset ring that allows the scope to be set back 1/2":

It's the same height as the ones that came with yours.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 07:33
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I bet you mean that the dang Leupold has got TOO MUCH eye relief and you are trying to get the scope away from you.......................correct?? 

Solution:  GET ANOTHER SCOPE.  

No I am all wrong.  You need the scope to come closer to you.  

Other Leupolds generally have miles of eye relief.  I have the opposite problem.....all gunstocks are too short for me and I can't push the Leupold scopes far enough away from me so that I can look through them. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic