OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Info On Blood Trail Tracking Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:55
One of the strange things I learned about light is that the frequency of the light determines its reflective preference.  This means that a surface to the naked eye might appear course and grainular, but to certain frequencies of light it will appear to be a polished reflector.  We had an engineer who set up a office in teh corner of a Laser Lab. partitioned off and all.
He kept getting sunburns whenever the Laser was used heavily.  Turns out, the flat eggshell paint and corragated ceiling used in that Lab was a near perfect reflector for the secondary emmissions of the laser.  It was enough to give him sunburns from across the room.  Neat Huh?

Edited by budperm - June/13/2009 at 13:56
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:04
The more I think about Kickboxer's suggestion of Purple light the more I like it.  It will take some research.  Purple light LEDs have a UV component to them that makes them somewaht dangerous, also Purple LEDs are among the weakest emission wise.  MMmmm not as straight forward as I originally thought! 

Please keep sharing your knowledge and or experiences Please, they are appreciated!

Billy, you said you have a Gerber?  that has 4 LEDs a 4 AA batteries right?  Can you expand on its operation?  How far away from blood does it work, battery life, etc. Thanks!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:12
I have a Surefire blood tracking flip-down lens (blue) on my scorpion that I bought several years ago. A few years ago one of the guests gut shot a deer just before sunset and it took us awhile to track him. I tried out the flip-down lens and it seemed to work ok. The blood trail was black in the light but it wasn't such a huge advantage that I'd recommend it.

The new technology, led lights with multiple settings, seems the way to go.

Edited by mike650 - June/14/2009 at 21:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:14
4 Blue and 4 Red.... It has a switch to change function from Blood Tracking to standard Xenon bulb light. The LED mode batteries last a good while. In the normal light mode the Xenon bulb eats batteries as any other typically does. It is a dogleg configuration with the standard light on top, and adjustable for stream. Beneath that are the LEDs where the reds are set up in an arch and the blues beneath them in a diamond.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:14
Night Vision loss is one of my biggest concerns.  I was thinking of having multiple banks of LEDs that can be switched in one at a time to prevent this.  It would also allow the Tracker to change intensity according to size of blood trail, ambient light and battery life.
--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:15
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

The more I think about Kickboxer's suggestion of Purple light the more I like it.  It will take some research.  Purple light LEDs have a UV component to them that makes them somewaht dangerous, also Purple LEDs are among the weakest emission wise.  MMmmm not as straight forward as I originally thought! 

Please keep sharing your knowledge and or experiences Please, they are appreciated!

Billy, you said you have a Gerber?  that has 4 LEDs a 4 AA batteries right?  Can you expand on its operation?  How far away from blood does it work, battery life, etc. Thanks!

Red and blue make purple. Bucky

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

bud it looks like you will need an LED around 445nm.  One source I read was also using  yellow or orange glasses acting as filters to enhance, but I believe this was after using a flourescein spray.  Not Sure if this would be required or if it would even enhance for your application.  Ilya may be a good resource here.

Craig,
                 Thanks for the input!  Where did you get the 445nm from?  Reading the charts you linked , I came up with 460-480nm for the blue and 635nm for the red.  Can you send me the link discussing the use of eyeglasses?
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:40
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Laugh  Uh Thanks Mikey..I'll write that down!  No No
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:44
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:54
  I really wish I slept as much as you thought I did!! 1 1/2 to 2hrs.,then up for a couple,and then back down for maybe 4 more.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:54
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 14:58
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I really wish I slept as much as you thought I did!! 1 1/2 to 2hrs.,then up for a couple,and then back down for maybe 4 more.
I feel ya Bra, sounds familar...up couple times a night.  Used to be every 1-1.5 hours... Sleep Apnea... Ssytem never slows down enough so ya gotta pee al the time!  Operations helped!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 15:00
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

http://www.latent-prints.com/fluorescein2.htm

Thanks!!!  I"ll check them out after I cut the grass.  No rain for 1.5 days and thje back yard is just now dry enough to cut.  I'll be back in about 2 hours guys!

--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 15:39
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Laugh  Uh Thanks Mikey..I'll write that down!  No No
[/QUOTE]

Roll on Floor Laughing
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 15:46
You are correct that if you get too many lights, you will go to white.  The purple will give you your best blood "pick up" without actually going to UV.  Since it does have a UV component, you will have to include a warning label that says FOR ALL THE IDIOTS OUT THERE>>>DO NOT SHINE DIRECTLY INTO YOUR OR ANYONE ELSE'S EYES.  CATARACTS AND/OR BLINDNESS MAY RESULT...

Green will highlight red tones and make them look black. The orange lights will give about the same protectiveness of night vision as red, but is much brighter.  As I said, you will have to play with the light combos in order to optimize.  Most of those on the market now are the "barely sufficient" philosophy.  I would suggest going for picking up blood as much as possible and moderate to low normal eye "brightness".  I would keep the green and make it so you can switch "only purple", "only green", "only orange", "purple and green", "purple and orange", "green and orange", "all".  

I also suggest you patent quickly... this IS on the AAG forum. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 20:22
I've tried a lot of different lights tracking  bow shot deer the last several years. I have a Gerber and a Primos but what has worked better than them was my Streamlight Stinger putting out lots of light.  It takes some practice to get good at tracking blood at  night and my youngest is incredible at it.  I just hate that an arrow doesnt often drop them right there but the opportunity to hunt really big deer is more available to me with a bow. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 10:46
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I've tried a lot of different lights tracking  bow shot deer the last several years. I have a Gerber and a Primos but what has worked better than them was my Streamlight Stinger putting out lots of light.  It takes some practice to get good at tracking blood at  night and my youngest is incredible at it.  I just hate that an arrow doesnt often drop them right there but the opportunity to hunt really big deer is more available to me with a bow. 

Wes, which model Stringer do you have? C4 LED or Xenon bulb?
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 09:19
Just to add to the confusion: - LED application chart:

God save the Empire!
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 20:22
Very glad to see you doing this research Bud. Does anyone know if these lights offer any help to the color blind? My wife and daughter can see a speck the size of a pin head at ten yds. in good light. I have to get right up on it and catch the light just right to see it. If you can address this area you will have a number of greatful color blind hunters out there.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 20:45
Interesting questions Sarg.  My grandfather was blue-green-brown color blind.  They all looked the same to him.  One of the blood detectors already on the market using a pulsed color and steady white light.  Usually color blind people have excellent depth perception.  I would think the pulsing detector would work well for them as the blood reflects during light pulsed "ON" should be an easily detectable intensity change like a  blinker. 
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic