OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Info On Blood Trail Tracking Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info On Blood Trail Tracking Lights
    Posted: June/13/2009 at 10:23
I work in electronics and have converted multiple conventional flashlights to LED based flashlights.  It just occurred to me that instead of using white LEDs I could use red and green ones mixed to make a blood detector.

I did a fast internet search and found that the Blood trail tracking light use red and green lights tuned to light frequencies that cause blood to be reflective.  Since colored LEDs are of very narrow bandwidth it should be quite easy to select the Correct Frequencies (color) LEDs to do this.  If I can identify the correct light frequencies needed I can extremely cheaply, convert flashlights to find blood for night time tracking.  Current 5mm Hi intensity LEDs are pretty cheap and I could easily convert a 6 volt latern flood for under $5.  What I don't know is the specific light frequencies needed other than red & green colored.  There are as many as 5 to 10 different LEDs all Red to our eyes but are different Frequencies, same applies for green LEDs.

This is an example:  8 10mm LEDS in a 2.5" reflector, bright enough that you can't look into them when ON but only draws 40mA.  With the 18v pack this will stay on for over 3 days straight before a pack charge is required.  I am sure that I could probably make a blood detector on this platform that would be stronger than anything on the market at a fraction of the price.

So, what does everybody know about Blood detectors in general and teh light frequencies?

All input would be welcome!  If it works out I would probably be able to offer the above platform minus the battery pack for $25-30 dollars plus shipping cost.

ALright Guys...Give me some input!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 10:39
bud, have alook at this site. I am still searching but there are some spectrographic graphs that might help.

God save the Empire!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 10:44
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I work in electronics and have converted multiple conventional flashlights to LED based flashlights.  It just occurred to me that instead of using white LEDs I could use red and green ones mixed to make a blood detector.

I did a fast internet search and found that the Blood trail tracking light use red and green lights tuned to light frequencies that cause blood to be reflective.  Since colored LEDs are of very narrow bandwidth it should be quite easy to select the Correct Frequencies (color) LEDs to do this.  If I can identify the correct light frequencies needed I can extremely cheaply, convert flashlights to find blood for night time tracking.  Current 5mm Hi intensity LEDs are pretty cheap and I could easily convert a 6 volt latern flood for under $5.  What I don't know is the specific light frequencies needed other than red & green colored.  There are as many as 5 to 10 different LEDs all Red to our eyes but are different Frequencies, same applies for green LEDs.

This is an example:  8 10mm LEDS in a 2.5" reflector, bright enough that you can't look into them when ON but only draws 40mA.  With the 18v pack this will stay on for over 3 days straight before a pack charge is required.  I am sure that I could probably make a blood detector on this platform that would be stronger than anything on the market at a fraction of the price.

So, what does everybody know about Blood detectors in general and teh light frequencies?

All input would be welcome!  If it works out I would probably be able to offer the above platform minus the battery pack for $25-30 dollars plus shipping cost.

ALright Guys...Give me some input!!!

I thought blood tracking lights were blue, not green, but things may have changed since the last time I read up on it. I see red is now used  in combination as well.

Cool idea Bud!! Thunbs Up

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 11:43
 Just checked one that a friend gave me yrs back(shows how much I don't use it). 4 LED's,2 red,and 2 blue.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:01
With only 2 LEDS each I can see why it doesn't get used.  I am talking about 10-20 LEDs of each color.  Plus LEDs technology has come  a long way in just the last 2 years.  LED light outputs are up across the boards too.  So I am talking about considerably more light for easier detection.  The link Craig posted gave me a great starting points.  I think I will make a prototype or two and do a little testing. 

Who on the Mafia night hunts and could make use of such a tool?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:04
i could really use a "built" flashlight for firefighting. i have a led flashlight and its great for use in the smoke, but it could always be brighter. the light i currently use is a 7 led streamlight.

Edited by pyro6999 - June/13/2009 at 12:08
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:14
Blue LEDs are very good for tracking and picking up blood trails.  Aviation mechanics use them to so they can look for fluid leaks. 

Surefire makes a flashlight called the Kroma and that is why they put the blue LEDs in it.  I remember reading that after it came out.  Except it is like $300  Shocked
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:24
 Mine was free,st,and Bud still made fun of it!!   Sad
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:28
I have a Gerber Carnivore..... It does a fairly good job.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:29
naw, bud ain't makin' fun of it he's just bein' contrary is all!

bud's design will pick up a blood trail at a half mile.
God save the Empire!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:39
Problem with a 10 or 20 LED light is if u turn it on at night you can say goodbye to night vision.  Even if it is blue or red it could still kill it being that bright.  For night tracking I would think you would only want a light with 1 or 2 LEDs.  I have some keychain 1 led lights I use all the time for hunting and in the dark they easily light my way on a trail they allow me to keep my night vision. 

These are the ones I use and they are crazy bright for a 1 led, yet don't kill my night vision.  http://www.inovalight.com/micro.html
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:40
bud it looks like you will need an LED around 445nm.  One source I read was also using  yellow or orange glasses acting as filters to enhance, but I believe this was after using a flourescein spray.  Not Sure if this would be required or if it would even enhance for your application.  Ilya may be a good resource here.

God save the Empire!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:43
Hey Bud...... Here's a great idea...... Make them for a hat mounted device, with a control for use as a light or blood tracking option. nNow that I've given you that idea...... I want say 20% of the take. Big Grin
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:52
I suggest purple at about 405nm which will probably produce some UV (don't look directly at it), green at about 525nm (which makes it good for looking at a map), and blue for brightness at about 470nm.  You could probably substitute orange at about 605nm for the blue... it has about the same effect as red light, but won't impact your vision like white light.  You would have to do some experimentation with the colors mix to get the biggest result... remembering that your existing atmospheric conditions will also contribute.  Try to find a "standard day" to execute testing.  Time of day will also impact results. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 12:59
  Billy,Browning does/did make one. I had one but gave it away. It had Browning logo on it anyways.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:22
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I suggest purple at about 405nm which will probably produce some UV (don't look directly at it), green at about 525nm (which makes it good for looking at a map), and blue for brightness at about 470nm.  You could probably substitute orange at about 605nm for the blue... it has about the same effect as red light, but won't impact your vision like white light.  You would have to do some experimentation with the colors mix to get the biggest result... remembering that your existing atmospheric conditions will also contribute.  Try to find a "standard day" to execute testing.  Time of day will also impact results. 

whoa, 405nm is cutting it a little too close to UVC (365nm) which causes cateracts.  Dentistry using Vis-cure adhesive in Vis-blue range 405 to 425nm and even then it is recommended to wear UV eye protection.

LEDs are fairly monochromic with a very narrow range of emmission frequencies.  The one website I looked at before starting this string used green and red LEDs to minimize night vision loss and not spook game while getting acceptable blood detection.  Also if you mix too many color LEDs they tend to wash to white.

Experimenting I have to do!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Mine was free,st,and Bud still made fun of it!!   Sad

Earl, Bro, your killing me... I wasn't making fun of it.  You are the one that said it hardly ever gets used.  I only now realize that it has nothing to do with it's performance but more to the fact that it is well past your bedtime when the opportunity to use it comes along.  Sleep
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:34
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Hey Bud...... Here's a great idea...... Make them for a hat mounted device, with a control for use as a light or blood tracking option. nNow that I've given you that idea...... I want say 20% of the take. Big Grin
   The hat brim mount as some merit but I would be worried about night vision loss and if wrong frquencies are used ...eye damage.
A lower powered brim version would definitely be an option on the hands-free line-up of Budster Lights!
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:37
Hey I like the name:  BudLite
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 13:43
I guess one of the things that started me down this path was the posting of the trophy Buck that was eaten overnight by wolfs cause they couldn't track him in the dark.  The platform (Dewalt flashlight) is not exactly light weight.  It is powerful and lasts a long time on a single charge.  I am sure lesser performers like a 2-3 cell maglite or such would also work well.
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic