OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What about Meopta?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about Meopta?
    Posted: June/12/2009 at 08:53
I am still hunting for the perfect scope for my new Sako 85 stainless/laminated in .338 Federal. Everything keeps coming back to the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32. But at $600 or so, it puts it in some rarified company. I can get a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 (which IMHO has better glass than the 6500) for $200 less, and even a Swarovski American 3-10x42 is only $200 more.

And this really nice-looking Meopta Artemis 2000 2.8x42 is only $60 more:

Meopta 2-8x42 Artemis 2000 30mm Rifle Scope Meopta 2-8x42 Artemis 2000 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 438460
  • Matte
  • #4B
  • 30mm
  • First Plain Reticle
$659.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS = value=tCTuCkvdNOV4wHYTTcWjYmTO528rWJnWKE/dFDSrnImseCq1mgjUqbAB7P4GmsYk name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl02_Add2Wishlist_VS = value=PoX6nIoGaO/wC1dI+eTw7aB3C9SSFTimJmfe0sLIMWUyO9oTUKeWZX7oR7epb7va name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl02$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add Meopta 2-8x42 Artemis 2000 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart

How is the glass on the Meopta? Does it compare favorably to the Conquest and American? This thing looks beefy and like it will last a lifetime. How is the durability of Meopta scopes? Any input would be appreciated.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 08:59
Calling coyote95, we need help.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 09:25
I have an Artemis 3000 3-9x, and to my eyes it is a little clearer than my Bushnell 4200 3-9x's.  I like it and would probably buy it again if it fit my needs.  It would give you a few more minutes in the morn/eve over the 4200.  Thing that I don't like about it as much is the reticle is really fine, it seems much smaller than the bushnell 4200 plex reticle.  But I have good eyes so it is not to big of an issue for me.  But the 2000 is an FFP so I have no idean how that will look on the low end, it might look fine or it might be very tiny like most FFPs are on the low end.

Another thing just to be aware of is the minimal 3 inches of eye relief.  The 1.25-8 6500 has like 5 inches.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 09:27
Here at the local sporting goods shop had a good amount of them sold two years ago because Meopta placed an ad in the states hunting regs/guide.Some mix reviews from the buyers saying that it was a very difficult to send them back for service.The glass is good which many say is as good as the Zeiss Conquest.The price was around the high $400 to low $500 price range so it was a good seller.If the price is $649 now I would consider a 6500.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 09:32
My personal experience with Meopta customer service was great.  I initially put my on a 45-70 and when I went to sight it is black dust from in the tube ended up all over the glass and it would not hold a zero.  I called Meopta and talked to Richard I believe and he was very nice and helpful.  Told me to send it back and he would take care of it.  I had a brand new one in my hands in about 10 days.  Since I have mounted it on a 7mm and it has seen a few hundred rounds and is holding up well.

So my personal experience was positive and I think Richard works real hard at customer service as I have talked with him on the phone several times now about binos and spotting scopes and he has always done right by me. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 11:49
Don't have a artemis scope, but do have a R-1 that i really like. Great glass for the money. Think it would go real well with that Sako 85.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 12:06
isn't the Artemis line using steel tubes?
heavy?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 12:29
  The Artemis 2000 and 2100 are steel.
  The Artemis 3000 and R-1 are aluminum.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 15:00
Does anyone know wherer the meopta glass is being made?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 15:01
Czechloslovakia. They make great glass by the way.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 15:11
And on that note, Zeiss conquest lenses are made by Meopta.

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

And on that note, Zeiss conquest lenses are made by Meopta.
It would seem the Conquest is the value at this level. Somehow, I find it hard to pay $260 more for glass made by the same company (Meopta), and find it even harder to pay $200 more for a Bushnell over a Zeiss.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 15:23
I am not saying conquest glass is as good as Meopta scope glass I am just saying they make it.  R1 glass is definitely better than conquest glass.  Not sure about 2000 glass.  3000 glass looks similar to me. 

But yeah the conquest might be the better bargin than the 2 and 3000 series scopes. Plus you don't have the short eye relief with the Conquest.  I got my meopta on a crazy sale for $300, so I have no regrets.

Edited by supertool73 - June/12/2009 at 17:48

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 17:43

Thanks very much for all the response!I'ts a small world as I just last week purchased a Conquest...3.5-10 x50,I'm very impressed.I also have a elite 6500 in 2.5-16 x42,I know this is Apples & Oranges but I compared the two on an overcast afternoon @ 5x & 10x power And it seems to me that the zeiss had more clarity.I also found Zeiss was brighter but I wrote that off because of the power[50 vs. 42] difference.This was just a simple comparrison!

I will need another scope shortly so I think I'll try the Meopta Meostar 3.5-10x50.Daddy's Christmas gift [:}

Please keep the Meopta feedback comming ...Thanks
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2009 at 12:48
I really like the meopta r1 line of scopes, I find mine clearer and brighter than the conquest, but not quite as nice as the kahles cl or swaro av, still very nice glass.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic