OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS variable...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS variable...
    Posted: June/11/2009 at 21:41
Ok, first post but have been lurking for a couple years now and reading about the SS vari.  Honistly I was a sceptic but it is finally here Excellent.  Can anyone say if they are going to have the 4-14 or 4.8-20 ( got these from another thread) out any time soon?  I am very interested again but not the 3-9.
SEMPER FI
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 23:29
If you had a chance to examine the 3-9 it might spark your interest.  Several power ranges have been considered over the years. The success of the 3-9 will greatly determine what other models eventually go into production. The 3-9 is specifically designed to meet the needs of the U.S. Army Designated Marksman program.  Promise you will buy ten thousand of them and I bet you can pick the power range you want as well. In the mean time about September I expect to see the Weaver Tactical's in higher power. Right now the Trijicon Accupoint is available in a 5-20x50.  While the Super Sniper Variable is a 3-9x42 it is a very special 3-9x42 as not very many of them have the front focal plane system or the 1/10 mil clicks to correspond to the mil dot reticle.  At the price they are at I would suggest you buy one and try it because when the Army order comes in it may be a very long waiting list to get one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 23:52
Welcome Sarg...... I agree with Wes, good luck finding anything this good at this price. It just ain't happening. The glass is just a touch better than the Elite 4200. The point about the FFP reticle. Mil Mil, and designed to U.S. Army specs. For 600.00 Dollars? How can you go wrong here?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Sarg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 08:16
Gentalmen, thanks for the reply.  I did get a look at the pix of the scope and it is very nice and looks solid.  I was just looking for a little more in the power range though.  Before this week I had set my mind on the Falcon Menace 4-14 and then the SS vari comes out, back to the drawing board again.  Aside from the Army contract I think if they would have been a higher range it will sell more, not that they won't sell alot anyway.  Just my thoughts.

Ur..frnd, your sig line says Iowa, where, I was born in Sioux City, have family there and Arnolds Park.  I really like going home and seeing the place.
SEMPER FI
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 08:28
Sarge,

I agree with you but I would go as high as 42X or so. My objective is a long range coyote or varmint scope and not tactical use at a reasonable cost. The crosshairs might be too thick  for fine shooting anyhow, I don't know.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by ba_50 ba_50 wrote:

Sarge,

I agree with you but I would go as high as 42X or so. My objective is a long range coyote or varmint scope and not tactical use at a reasonable cost. The crosshairs might be too thick  for fine shooting anyhow, I don't know.
The crosshairs on the SS variable are   fairly fine and designed for accuracy.
Laugh
Good luck getting a 42x scope onto something that moves as fast as a coyote, I could see it if  you said prairie dogs but there is still a 20x Super Sniper and I doubt you could hold one of those on a coyote very easily as I have hunted one of the 20x SS scopes.
SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS20X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$279.95 
Add SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
and you can step up to 36x with weaver
Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849970
  • Matte
  • Fine Crosshair
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 4" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Coming in 2007
$399.95 
Add Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope to Cart 
and  to play at  higher powers
Leupold 45x45 Competition 30mm Riflescope Leupold 45x45 Competition 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU53440
  • Matte
  • 1/8 min. Target Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$998.95 
Add Leupold 45x45 Competition 30mm Riflescope to Cart 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 16:40
While I am really,really looking forward to trying the 3x9 S.S. (as a matter of fact I have considered selling a kidney!) I personally would have preferred  2x8. Especially for hunting. But by no means am I complaining. From the reviews, and the details that went into it, plus the robust legacy of the S.S. fixed power scopes, this seams like a very good piece of gear for an outstanding price!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 20:36
I thought we were talking about a variable, say 8x-42x. Seems like there was talk of the SSV coming out with a high side of magnification.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 22:50
Originally posted by Sarg Sarg wrote:

I had set my mind on the Falcon Menace 4-14 and then the SS vari comes out, back to the drawing board again. 

Sarg, it would surprise you how much better you would see with less magnification but better glass. And the SS has better glass than the Falcon Menace.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 23:21
Sarg are you active duty stationed in Tx?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sarg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 08:42
I appologize for not keeping track of this thread.  The more i hear, this scope sounds better and better.  The hang up I have is the low vari range (3-9).  This will probably be going on my 300wm PSS so the higher range is a little more needed.  I have a 3-9x40 on another rifle for hunting that is perfect and this could find a home on it.  I was just more set on the 4-14 range and am some what disappointed.  The price is also a stopper for me @ $600 I was thinking they would be more around the 10X $300 to $450 area.  And as we all know the features are what we look for along with good glass so this may be the one to get.  I'm still hoping for a higher range though.

Uri, I am not active duty.  I was in 89-95 here in Dallas with HQ Battery 14th Marines (Reserves).  I was never deployed so my DD214 would be a boaring read, not by my choice though.
SEMPER FI
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 12:21
What did you do at HQ in Dallas?

I agree that 3-9X for a 300WM might be on the smallish side; however, glass quality easily trumps magnification and I think you will be far more pleased with good glass in a 3-9 than you will with not-great glass in a 4-14.

3-9X is on the light side for a 300WM but it will work out to 600 yards without problems.  And if the gun will be used in situations other than on the bench at 600 yards, the 3-9 will serve you well.

I had a friend in Dallas at the MAG and another that was fire-finder with you over at HQ Battery.  The MAG was an interesting unit, HQ seemed to me to be a little strange - then again, what unit isn't?

The glass in the 3-9 will be better than ANYTHING in the <$600 range and glass+features make the SS3-9 very attractive for a tactical gun.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hk-usp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hk-usp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 13:05
What about the Bushnell 15x40 Elite 3200. How does it compare the the SS variable?
I have the 16x and 20x SS. Also, have the Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200.
Sarg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 15:43
Rancid, I was in CBR (fire-finder) also.  I keep in touch by email with a couple of guys from there also.  PM me, maybe I know them or they know me.  I did all 6 years there in Radar.
SEMPER FI
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 23:39
Originally posted by hk-usp hk-usp wrote:

What about the Bushnell 15x40 Elite 3200. How does it compare the the SS variable?
I have the 16x and 20x SS. Also, have the Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200.

If you took a Bushnell 4200 made it tougher gave it better knobs gave it three times as much internal adjustment and made it in 1/10  mil clicks you would be getting close but the variable SS blows away my fixed 10x SS and the 20x SS I had was not as sharp as the 10x. As for the 3200 Roll on Floor Laughingyouv'e got to be kidding.

Sarge drive by SWFA and look for yourself if you are in Dallas.  ( I shouldn't even have to tell you that one my god you can get a first hand look at them what's stopping you?)

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sarg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 08:24

Ya, I have been by there before about 2 1/2 years back and looked at the SS 10x and was impressed.  I guess I need to make some time and stop in.  From me it's almost and hour and a half away.

HK, the Bushnells are good scopes but lack features like total adjustment and matching knobs.  Thanks for the heads up though.

SEMPER FI
MikeMiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 09:42
I am sitting here twitching waiting for my 3-9 to show  up.
Mike
MikeMiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 17:30
Got my 3-9 today and took it out shooting Glass is very good. Far better than the older fixed models and seems equal to a Leupold MK4 3.5-10 M1 or M3 to me.  Tracked perfectly.  Will run through paces over next couple of months
Mike
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 20:07
Mike,   maybe you've seen this before.............

No Pics
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 19:38
I wrote a short "First Impressions" review of the Variable SS, and I will soon have a brief follow-up posted in the same thread.

When I first looked at it, I thought it was a kick ass scope.  Now that I spent some more time with it and did a low light evaluation, I am quite certain it is a kick ass scope.

To the original poster: if you are in the market for an FFP scope, you are not going to find anything better for the money.  I will even go out on a limb and say that to find a better combination of optical quality, features and mechanical durability, you would have to spend closer to $2K.  

The glass is very good (about as good as you will ifnd coming out of Japan, this side of March scopes).  Adjustments are spot on and the double turn knob makes long range shooting easier to keep track of.  Mechanical durability will only be known in time, but I have not been able to break it despite some attempts.  More importantly Mike MacDonald could not break it.  As far as features go, the only things this scope does not have are reticle illumination and zero stop.  For $600, I would not expect them anyway.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic