OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
    Posted: June/11/2009 at 08:09
It's here!  The SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope.  Tell us more about it size / weight?
SSgtSmitty
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 08:31
[redundant post, computer freaked out on me]

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - June/11/2009 at 08:34
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 08:32
3-9x42
FFP mil dot reticle
0.1-mil adjustments
locking focus
sunshade available (fits great)
ARD available (fits great)
Turrets are tactile (and audible with some spinning)
Glass is good - better than the fixed 10X to my eye

The scope is 13.35 inches (as per my trusty ruler with the Hello Kitty" on it. ) Sunshade with ARD is a hair under 3 inches in length.

The scope weights 21.4 ounces with Butler Creeks on both ends.The sun shade weighs 1.5 ounces and the ARD weighs 0.6 ounces.

Having now played with it quite a bit, I really like the scope!  It is not too heavy for a mid-weight hunting gun and not too small for a tactical gun - just about perfect for a DM scope.

The reticle looks great, not too small at 3X, not too big at 9X; it is FFP so one can range and adjust fire based on the reticle at any power setting.

We all whined that it took a long time to get here, props to SWFA for not releasing it too soon.

Better right than fast, and the scope is right!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 09:44
Great reply RC!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 10:40
That is going to be a formidable competitor, especially for $599. I really like that this is a mil/mil scope and has good glass. I don't think I've seen an FFP for under a grand...at least not one with any quality. About the closest I can think of is the FFP IOR 2.5-10x42 - http://swfa.com/IOR-25-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P6493.aspx - which is $440 more (granted, it has illumination). But can it be advertised like the SS as "50-BMG Ready"?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 12:02
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

That is going to be a formidable competitor, especially for $599. I really like that this is a mil/mil scope and has good glass. I don't think I've seen an FFP for under a grand...at least not one with any quality. About the closest I can think of is the FFP IOR 2.5-10x42 - http://swfa.com/IOR-25-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P6493.aspx - which is $440 more (granted, it has illumination). But can it be advertised like the SS as "50-BMG Ready"?

The IOR you are referring to is actually quite durable: this is a model that IOR has been making for a long time and they have worked out the quirks if they were any.  I do not think I have seen anyone break either the 2.5-10x42 or 4-14x50 IORs with recoil.

That having been said, I have the new Variable SS and I am hugely impressed so far.  I will write a thorough review, but I think I can go on record saying that unless there is some catastrophic desing flaw that has not yet revealed itself, this is the best alround tactical scope for the money, bar none.  It has every feature you want and omits all the features you do not want, while keeping the price low.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 12:25
I suspect that the Army will be purchasing a whole bunch of these beauties. That would be a very good thing for SWFA. I really like the fact that, there are three people whose opinions on scope quality I truly appreciate and trust. All three really like this newest offering by SWFA.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 12:33
  Although tactical scopes aren't my cup of tea I'm ALWAYS glad to see a manufacturer offer customers a product that is high in quality and more than worth its price.  KUDO's to SWFA!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 13:25
Duplicate, the site kept timing out. 

Edited by sholling - June/11/2009 at 13:32
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 13:28
I'd be interested in learning how the glass and coatings compare with lower cost alternative scopes. The Bushy 4200, Leupold Mark AR, and even the Mueller Tac II. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 19:49
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The scope is 13.35 inches (as per my trusty ruler with the Hello Kitty" on it. )

Coffee
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I'd be interested in learning how the glass and coatings compare with lower cost alternative scopes. The Bushy 4200, Leupold Mark AR, and even the Mueller Tac II. 

Optically, it is similar to Elite 4200 if not a touch better.  It is definitely better than Leupy Mark AR (which is a pretty low bar to set anyway).  I have not seen Mueller Tac II for a little while, but if my recollection is correct, Variable SS should be better than Tac II.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 23:17
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The IOR you are referring to is actually quite durable: this is a model that IOR has been making for a long time and they have worked out the quirks if they were any.  I do not think I have seen anyone break either the 2.5-10x42 or 4-14x50 IORs with recoil.

ILya

I didn't mean to dis IOR. I've actually come close to getting one and think they have some great features and generally a good reputation. However, I am mightily impressed with what SWFA has pulled off and got a little too carried away in my commentary.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 00:35
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

I didn't mean to dis IOR. I've actually come close to getting one and think they have some great features and generally a good reputation. However, I am mightily impressed with what SWFA has pulled off and got a little too carried away in my commentary.

The IOR you a referring to is a very nice scope.  However, unless you absolutely need illumination, the Variable SS will take the legs from under the IOR.  In the bang for the buck department, the Variable SS has got the IOR beat in just about every way possible.  The IOR has got two thing going for it compared to the Variable SS: illumination and MP-8 reticle (a little more versatile for ranging than the standard Mil-Dot).  On the flip side, the Variable SS has double turn elevation knob, thicker MilDot reticle (good for low light) and easy to reset turrets.  Oh, almost forgot: Variable SS is about five hundred bucks cheaper.  You do the math.

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 07:41
ILya,
 You put it so eloquently in perspective.  Excellent  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 15:04
Very nice looking scope Chris good luck with it,looks like nothing is missing!Can you tell us a little about the glass. Me,I'm still waiting to replace my SS 10x...Hint Hint Hint
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 22:40
So how does the glass of the 3-9 compare with the 10x? Tracking? And does it take the recoil of a 50BMG?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 01:23
I dont have a 50BMG but glass is better tracking is good. It is a different thing having 1/10 mil clicks rather than 1/4 moa clicks.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 01:31
I believe the safe bet is..... If you loved the Super Sniper 10X..... You are gonna flip out over this one.. Optical quality that is atleast equal to, if not better than 4200 Elite is saying more than enough. This tid bit from our very own Ilya Koshkin.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 17:12
I can vouch for the durability of the 2.5-10 IOR.  On the same rifle I broke three of the 3-18's, I had one for a couple hundred rounds and it was perfect.  I hear they're upgrading it with big knobs and redesigned FFP reticle like the 3-18 which will make it one heck of a scope, but this new SS will make it hard to justify the extra money.  The SS 3-9 is an amazing deal with the right features.  It's nice to have such affordable choices with the features people want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic