OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The "I know a guy who hates_____" rebuttal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "I know a guy who hates_____" rebuttal
    Posted: June/08/2009 at 19:41
During my tenure at the OT, I've gotten into a few scrapes with individuals who claimed that they knew a guy who hated product "X", therefore, that product should be avoided or lowered on the list of preferences.

A few nights ago, while watching Family Guy, I heard the best rebuttal to that.

The family is in a panic room and thinking they are about to die.  In those last few minutes, each begins to divulge things not known to the others.  When Peter's opportunity to speak comes along, he proclaims that he doesn't care for the Godfather films.  Obviously, everyone immediately begins berating him for such an obviously stupid opinion - with each emphasizing the part of the series they find most credible and meaningful.  In the end, he says he doesn't care for it because, "It insists upon itself": a comment that he repeats but never further elucidates.

All that to say this:

If you cannot find a single person that hates something, despises something and utterly refuses to own (if paid for or free) something, you simply aren't looking hard enough.

Some guy out there hates Porsche, an entire religion hates bacon, someone doesn't care for Apocalypse Now, possible because it, "insists upon itself."  I can apprpeciate that each person has the God-given freedom to form opinions and make choices; however, I also accept that some opinions are more well-informed and valuable than others. And that the freedom to think doesn't make all thought equal.

A moron once told me that, off the line, no car was faster than a VW bug - he is an idiot, it isn't even close to true, but he beleived it was, so no further discussion was warranted - he heard it from a source he deemed reputable.  So, probably to this day, he believes the VW bug is the fasteest car on the planet, at least off the line.

From this point forward, rather than engage in these unwinnable discussion of why some guy hates Premeir or hates Leupold or hates Badger rings, I'll simply point to this thread, or perhaps ask if the product insists upon itself.  Everything fails, and anyone who thinks a product has less value becuase they know a guy who says it failed once, they are destined to either buy only things others hate - or buy nothing at all.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 19:52
Thunbs Up

Opinion, untempered by fact, is ignorance...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 20:16
Excellent
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 20:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Thunbs Up

Opinion, untempered by fact, is ignorance...
...........Opinions are just like hearsay in a court of law. Until evidence proves opinions as facts, they are still opinions based on hearsay.

The problem on these forums is that one person can look through a scope and dis-like the scope, while the other insists that the same scope has wonderful glass. One`s perceptions are converted to one`s opinion. A scope is just one product example. But what`s the truth?

In dealing with any product, even if all the facts and evidence are clearly there to prove a product`s worth or viability, there will always be those who will remain close minded and say that they don`t believe this or don`t believe that or conclude that maybe the gun writers are in the hip pocket of a given rifle or ammo manufacturer. The `ol payoff routine!

And yet. when you ask them to produce facts or evidence which supports their opinion, they CANNOT do so and that`s when their tap dancing usually begins not related to the subject matter at hand. Kinda reminds of two or three confrontations I`ve had in the past. The most memorable being with Larry the "Rootman" or whoever the hell he is now.  

I just love check-mating idiots like him, not only when it comes to rifles as was in our case, but especially those when it comes to politics too. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 20:41
We do not have the time nor the inclination to attempt to correct all the dumbness in the world.  Besides, we are out-numbered.     Stare
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 20:41
Right on, Big Squeeze (I would have just said BS, but you took offense last time...BuckyWink)

Seriously, it is funny to see those who have never actually used a particular scope proclaim it as a "POS" and/or have SEEN one instance of a failure proclaim "what a POS".  All hardware fails, regardless of who builds it, at some time or other.  The "I know a guy..." syndrome has no place.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 21:01
I know a guy who had three thumbs.... one was always wet!  Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 21:04
?????????????????????... I don't GET it...

hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 21:28
Opinions Are Like Assholes Everyone Has One.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 21:46
I'll just sit back, and quietly hate the things that I hate, and nobody will argue with me, as they don't know what those things are.Wink

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 03:44

Right on, Big Squeeze (I would have just said BS, but you took offense last time...BuckyWink)

Seriously, it is funny to see those who have never actually used a particular scope proclaim it as a "POS" and/or have SEEN one instance of a failure proclaim "what a POS".  All hardware fails, regardless of who builds it, at some time or other.  The "I know a guy..." syndrome has no place.  
...........When I thought of a user name, I really didn`t think of the initials BS.

Don`t remember taking offense to you, but I`m use to it by now....Laugh........... Though I`m sure there are a few on this forum who think my user initials fit me perfectly.....Roll on Floor Laughing

That`s the good part about a forum.... No face to face confrontations to worry about... No butt kickins (literally) to worry about... Don`t care what anybody thinks.... Offer some advice and take some too.... Learn new things to try.... Politely tell someone to Mooner.......And all the while, having some fun at the same time!.....Yippee    Party
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 05:28

?????????????????????... I don't GET it...

Thats why I'll never have 3 thumbs!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 05:42
Seriously, peer pressure is a funny thing.  We are all subject to it whether we realize it or not.  Just look at how much problem it got us into as teenagers.  I think that if you did research, you would find most purchases of large ticket items, where the buyer has no prior personal knowledge of the product, are heavily influenced by What their buddies think, both positively and negatively.  If not your labelled a total Cynic.  Whatever 
--Thomas Jefferson

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 06:42
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

During my tenure at the OT, I've gotten into a few scrapes with individuals who claimed that they knew a guy who hated product "X", therefore, that product should be avoided or lowered on the list of preferences.

A few nights ago, while watching Family Guy, I heard the best rebuttal to that.

The family is in a panic room and thinking they are about to die.  In those last few minutes, each begins to divulge things not known to the others.  When Peter's opportunity to speak comes along, he proclaims that he doesn't care for the Godfather films.  Obviously, everyone immediately begins berating him for such an obviously stupid opinion - with each emphasizing the part of the series they find most credible and meaningful.  In the end, he says he doesn't care for it because, "It insists upon itself": a comment that he repeats but never further elucidates.

All that to say this:

If you cannot find a single person that hates something, despises something and utterly refuses to own (if paid for or free) something, you simply aren't looking hard enough.

Some guy out there hates Porsche, an entire religion hates bacon, someone doesn't care for Apocalypse Now, possible because it, "insists upon itself."  I can apprpeciate that each person has the God-given freedom to form opinions and make choices; however, I also accept that some opinions are more well-informed and valuable than others. And that the freedom to think doesn't make all thought equal.

A moron once told me that, off the line, no car was faster than a VW bug - he is an idiot, it isn't even close to true, but he beleived it was, so no further discussion was warranted - he heard it from a source he deemed reputable.  So, probably to this day, he believes the VW bug is the fasteest car on the planet, at least off the line.

From this point forward, rather than engage in these unwinnable discussion of why some guy hates Premeir or hates Leupold or hates Badger rings, I'll simply point to this thread, or perhaps ask if the product insists upon itself.  Everything fails, and anyone who thinks a product has less value becuase they know a guy who says it failed once, they are destined to either buy only things others hate - or buy nothing at all.

Carry on.

I try to keep it simple and just hate everything!!!!! J/k You can please some people some times but you can't please all the people all the time. It really dosn't matter what it is, there is always someone going to not like it or hate it.60% of the time they have never seen or used one.  Now send me all the scopes,binos you hate so I can hate them too!!

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 07:16
In a world littered with imponderables I can only rely on myself.

Therefore I reserve the right to "insists upon myself" in all matters.
God save the Empire!
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 07:35
This thread is hillarious
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 07:51

Quoting RCs post    "A moron once told me that, off the line, no car was faster than a VW bug - he is an idiot, it isn't even close to true, but he beleived it was, so no further discussion was warranted - he heard it from a source he deemed reputable.  So, probably to this day, he believes the VW bug is the fastest car on the planet, at least off the line."

I don't know, I seen some fast VW Bugs but  "no car was faster than a VW bug off the line"..........

I think you made the right call on his IQ RC! 

Edited for quotation marks.

Edited by Steelbenz - June/09/2009 at 07:52
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2009 at 16:37
You mean the VW bug is not the fastest car off the line. My world has just been shattered.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic